Windows 10: Failed Drive on Laptop preventing it from booting - reinstall W10?

Discus and support Failed Drive on Laptop preventing it from booting - reinstall W10? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a question regarding the recent suspected internal hard disk (HDD not SDD) failure of my Windows 10 laptop. That hard disk contains Windows 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lotrfan1, May 4, 2021.

1. lotrfan1 Win User

Failed Drive on Laptop preventing it from booting - reinstall W10?

I have a question regarding the recent suspected internal hard disk (HDD not SDD) failure of my Windows 10 laptop. That hard disk contains Windows 10. At present, the laptop will not boot at all. Here is a bit of background on the problem and what I have done to date. After that I pose a few options for my next best step. I would be grateful for any advice. The laptop is a Toshiba Dynabook A55 (i5 with 8 mg RAM ) running Windows 10 Home 64 bit Build 19041.867. It is up to date regarding Windows updates. It is rigorously scanned on a daily basis with McAfee and HitmanPro. When the failure occurred, I was using the laptop and scanning through my emails. It froze. I tried a reboot and it failed. It then restarted itself and failed again. I went into Windows Repair>Cmd Prompt>DISKPART to see that no volumes, etc could be recognized on the disk. I created a USB boot drive via the Creation Tool. I adjusted the bootmenu to boot off of that drive first. DISKPART now shows several volumes available as follows: Volume 0, Letter E, DVD, Size 0 Volume 1, Letter C, Filetype RAW, Partition, 1843GB size Volume 2 with just the information RAW and 1600MB in size Volume 3 with just the information RAW and 17GB in size Volume 4 with just the information RAW and 260GB in size Volume 5 Letter D Filetype FAT32 and 28GB in size All volumes show a status of Healthy. It looks like Volume 1 is my old C drive. At present, I do not know what Volumes 2, 3, and 4 are. Before I can do sfc /scannow, dism, chkdsk, etc., I believe I need to change Volume 1 from RAW to NTFS. Option 1.) Could one use DISKPART to switch RAW to NTFS with there being a slight chance the data would be retained. If it worked and C: was accessible again, I could do sfc /scannow etc. I do not know how reliable of a state C: would be in using this option but is it worth a shot or a pointless exercise? Option 2.) Do a reinstall of Windows 10 using the USB Boot disk? Old C drive would be gone and I would have to reinstall all of my apps, etc. Option 3.) Something else? Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for any guidance.

:)

lotrfan1, May 4, 2021
  2. lotrfan1 Win User

I have a question regarding the recent suspected internal hard disk (HDD not SDD) failure of my Windows 10 laptop. That hard disk contains Windows 10. At present, the laptop will not boot at all. Here is a bit of background on the problem and what I have done to date. After that I pose a few options for my next best step. I would be grateful for any advice.

The laptop is a Toshiba Dynabook A55 (i5 with 8 mg RAM ) running Windows 10 Home 64 bit Build 19041.867. It is up to date regarding Windows updates. It is rigorously scanned on a daily basis with McAfee and HitmanPro.

When the failure occurred, I was using the laptop and scanning through my emails. It froze. I tried a reboot and it failed. It then restarted itself and failed again.

I went into Windows Repair>Cmd Prompt>DISKPART to see that no volumes, etc could be recognized on the disk.

I created a USB boot drive via the Creation Tool. I adjusted the bootmenu to boot off of that drive first. DISKPART now shows several volumes available as follows:

Volume 0, Letter E, DVD, Size 0
    Volume 1, Letter C, Filetype RAW, Partition, 1843GB size
    Volume 2 with just the information RAW and 1600MB in size
    Volume 3 with just the information RAW and 17GB in size
    Volume 4 with just the information RAW and 260GB in size
    Volume 5 Letter D Filetype FAT32 and 28GB in size

All volumes show a status of Healthy. It looks like Volume 1 is my old C drive. At present, I do not know what Volumes 2, 3, and 4 are.

Before I can do sfc /scannow, dism, chkdsk, etc., I believe I need to change Volume 1 from RAW to NTFS.

Option 1.) Could one use DISKPART to switch RAW to NTFS with there being a slight chance the data would be retained. If it worked and C: was accessible again, I could do sfc /scannow etc. I do not know how reliable of a state C: would be in using this option …but is it worth a shot or a pointless exercise?

Option 2.) Do a reinstall of Windows 10 using the USB Boot disk? Old C drive would be gone and I would have to reinstall all of my apps, etc.

Option 3.) Something else?

Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for any guidance.

lotrfan1, May 5, 2021
  3. simrick Win User
    Failed W10

Okay, so you've got the files from the ISO extracted to your desktop, and you see the setup.exe file, correct?
    You should be able to double-click setup.exe and the upgrade will begin. There is no "auto run" involved in this step, so I don't understand where that error came from.

Edit: Did you run the System File Checker (sfc /scannow) to make sure your Windows 7 system files are intact, as suggested in the tutorial?

A chkdsk on your hard drive may be in order.

1. Click Start
    2. Type: CMD, from the results, right-click CMD
    3. Select Run as Administrator
    4. At the Command Prompt, type: chkdsk /r
    (Notice the space between the k and /)

When you restart your system, your hard drive will be scanned for errors and attempts will be made to correct them.

Failed Drive on Laptop preventing it from booting - reinstall W10? [​IMG]

simrick, May 5, 2021
  4. Pavan_N Win User

fail to boot after W10 upgrade

Hi,

If you get an error regarding a missing or corrupt hal.dll file, it might simply be the BOOT.INI file on the root of the C: drive that is misconfigured.

I suggest you to create a Windows 10 installation media and perform a Startup Repair on the device and check if it helps to resolve the issue.
    This is an alternate way to boot the device and run recovery tools when something goes wrong with the Operating system.

Please follow the steps below to do Startup repair:

Steps:-

• Insert the installation USB drive
              and boot Windows 10 from it.

If you don't have one, you can Create an installation Media.

• In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’
              and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

• Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

• Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Startup Repair’
              and select the operating system.
    Run a Check Disk.

You can perform a check disk to spot any error in your hard disk. To do so, right- click on the start button>select command prompt (admin)> type “chkdsk/f/r” and press enter.

This will display the exact errors occurring in your hard drive.

Chkdsk disclaimer.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost

Further you may Scan the drive and fix the errors by following the on screen instructions.

Do let us know the status of the issue. Thank you.

Pavan_N, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Failed Drive on Laptop preventing it from booting - reinstall W10? - Similar Threads - Failed Drive Laptop

2. Windows 11 install from W10 failing on 2nd boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 install from W10 failing on 2nd boot: It says it can't find the boot device. I updated everything, clean booted, disconnected everything except kbd and mouse, tried installing from usb, updated the bios, TPM enabled, the install is not finding the drive for some reason. Any Ideas on this?...
  3. Windows 11 install from W10 failing on 2nd boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 install from W10 failing on 2nd boot: It says it can't find the boot device. I updated everything, clean booted, disconnected everything except kbd and mouse, tried installing from usb, updated the bios, TPM enabled, the install is not finding the drive for some reason. Any Ideas on this?...
  4. Dual boot: Problem reinstalling W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot: Problem reinstalling W10: I can see there are many posts here about dual boot systems and various problems that can come up. I haven't been able to find info that seems to fit my particular problem, so I'm posting my question: I need to reinstall W10 on my dual boot W10/W7 desktop because of problems....
  5. Laptop boots from wrong drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop boots from wrong drive: I got an SSD for my HP Envy dv6 and installed Windows 10 on it. When I did it I only had the SSD connected to my laptop, and before adding back the HDD, I had no problem with the boot up. I connected back the HDD with Windows 10 on it. This created a problem where no matter...
  6. Prevent Windows from reinstalling drivers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Prevent Windows from reinstalling drivers: Hello, I am trying to prevent windows from reinstalling my old wifi drivers after I uninstall it. However, after every reboot it keeps coming back. Can you tell me how to disable it completely? I am using windows 10 home. Thank you....
  7. w10 laptop fails to start

in Windows 10 Support
    w10 laptop fails to start: My w10 laptop failed to start with following error attached below. 142869
  8. Prevent removed apps from reinstalling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent removed apps from reinstalling: Hello all, There are a few apps that keep installing themselves even after I removed them. 3D builder, Get Office, etc. Is there a way, or a couple ways to get them to NOT install once I remove them? Or to at the very least block them from functioning (example, the Get...
  9. w10 reinstall

w10 reinstall: this is my first time any any forum i hope im doing it right. i have a 4month old dell inspiron 15 5555. it is running w10 home. i have a sony wireless head phones and the souund quality is equal to sitting inside a tin can. no luck from dell nor sony how to fix. so i bought...
  10. Reinstalling W10 on a GPT disk from a USB boot disk

Reinstalling W10 on a GPT disk from a USB boot disk: I'm working on an HP laptop whose Windows installation has been damaged following the user falling for the Microsoft scam. Having made several attempts at repairing the damage without success, the obvious solution is to reinstall Windows. And here's the problem: I have a...