Windows 10: Failed Hard drive leads to lost product key

Discus and support Failed Hard drive leads to lost product key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I bought a prebuilt computer many years ago that came with windows 8.1. I have since upgraded many parts and updated to windows 10. I brought my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by GYWproductions, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Failed Hard drive leads to lost product key

I bought a prebuilt computer many years ago that came with windows 8.1. I have since upgraded many parts and updated to windows 10. I brought my computer to a friends house to get help in swapping out my ram, cpu and my motherboard. In transit, my hard drive died on me. That hard drive had my OS on it. My friend gave me a flash drive with a copy of windows on it just to launch the computer and make sure everything was okay with it. Now it is asking me to activate windows. The original computer that i bought online came with a product key for windows on it. I have tried many different forums on how to get your old key back but i have not found out. Its 3 in the morning and i can't call for help just yet. Anybody got another idea as to what i could do?

:)

GYWproductions, Oct 11, 2019

2. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Failed Hard drive leads to lost product key :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Oct 11, 2019
  3. Recover a lost Product key for windows

My Product key for Windows was lost when my hard drive crashed.

The Mail with the product key was on the same hard drive.

The product key belong to an upgrade of windows purchased online.

How can I recover my product key from Windows?

Marja CathrinHedlund, Oct 11, 2019
  4. Failed Hard drive leads to lost product key

Lost the windows product key.

I lost my windows product key...My Hard drive was crashed.So I bought a new Hard drive.Since I lost the key.I want to install the original version of windows.Please help me to find the product key...My other staffs had came with
    this laptop has been stolen.Please help me out to find this key...

Rakibul Islam.SB, Oct 11, 2019
Thema:

Failed Hard drive leads to lost product key

1. Failed Hard drive leads to lost product key - Similar Threads - Failed Hard drive

2. Lost Product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost Product key: Need help with a lost product key for windows 11, I bought it from Microsoft site. I see that I bought it but cannot get the key and cannot find the email. Anyway to get it sent to me again?...
  3. Lost Product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Product key: Need help with a lost product key for windows 11, I bought it from Microsoft site. I see that I bought it but cannot get the key and cannot find the email. Anyway to get it sent to me again?...
  4. Product key lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product key lost: Hi, My computer is running on a "Windows 7 Ultimate", i got the product Id but i lost the product key. It is also displayed on a conner of my screen that " Windows 7 build 7600 This copy of Windows is not genuine". I don't know what to do, can any help me please....
  5. Lost Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Lost Product Key: I had purchased a copy of Windows 10 Pro from your stores on 13th September 2017. Due to an accident the system has been formatted completely and we don't have access to the product cover that generally comes with the License Key for the purchased product, it was lost. Is...
  6. Lost product key

Lost product key: I have lost product key of Windows 10 pro and MS Office after doing a factory reset. Is there any way to recover the same? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-product-key/d980d28a-1d7f-4dce-bb97-2a228bbee807
  7. Hard drive failed. Fresh install lost my product key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hard drive failed. Fresh install lost my product key: My SSD failed. So I'm Doing a fresh install on a new drive. I lost my product key though, Would I be able to get it from my windows account somehow? It was a custom build. Windows 10 key was NOT OEM, it was a normal key purchased with a USB stick. submitted by /u/Fizgriz...
  8. Lost product key.

Lost product key.: I bought computer parts a couple of months ago but due to some circumstances I've only built it now and I can't find my Windows Key. I Assume my mom threw it away with the trash but I wonder how I would go about getting a new one. Do I have to buy a new one or can I get one...
  9. Lost product key

Lost product key: I am looking to sell my laptop so I used the factory reset feature of Windows. Sadly, the process did not work and it got stuck in a reboot cycle. So I created media on a USB stick from my other machine and installed Windows on the laptop. Unfortunately, I lost the product...
  10. lost product key

lost product key: i lost my product key. but i can't find it.is there any possible way to get product key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-product-key/8edb6289-f44f-49ab-8b50-f8162662ec57"