Windows 10: Failed install of Win 10 Edu 20H2

Discus and support Failed install of Win 10 Edu 20H2 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am attempting to perform a clean install of Windows 10 Education version on a new computer. The computer is a custom build and components are listed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mac3p14, Dec 30, 2020.

1. mac3p14 Win User

Failed install of Win 10 Edu 20H2

I am attempting to perform a clean install of Windows 10 Education version on a new computer. The computer is a custom build and components are listed below. This computer is brand new and has no nor has ever had an operating system installed:

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus Motherboard firmware updated to latest version

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU

32 GB DDR4 RAM 4 sticks 8GB each

EVGA Geforce GTX 730 GPU

Corsair Force MP510 NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 500 GB SSD

No other hardware is connected other than a USB keyborad. Ethernet is also disconnected. Computer does not have a DVD or CD drive.

I do not have access to a viable Windows PC. I have an employer provided laptop on which I do not have sufficient privileges to install Windows Media Creation Tool or Rufus. Also cannot access Diskpart from cmd.exe on this computer for obvious reasons. The only operating systems I have at my disposal for creating installation media is a Mid2012 MacBook Pro running Catalina or I could create a live Linux USB.

I have 3 USB sticks available to create installation media and have tried all three.

1. SanDisk Cruzer 16GB 2.0

2. PNY 16GB 2.0

3. Generic 8GB 2.0

So far I have tried the following methods for creating the bootable Windows 10 installation media from the ISO file I downloaded through my University's portal and MS website. Win10_Edu_20H2_v2_English_x64.iso

1. Burn ISO image to USB using "dd" command in Apple terminal. This method does not work as the installer won't load when computer is booted from the USB.

2. Format the USB using GPT and FAT32, mount the ISO, copy all files from the ISO to USB excluding install.wim it is 5.2GB on this ISO, split the install.wim into two install.swm files no greater that 3.8GB, copy install.swm files to "sources" folder on USB.

3. Same method as #2 except compressing install.wim to 3.9GB using

wimlib-imagex optimize <FILEPATH> --solid

My motherboard is configured to UEFI mode, Secure Boot disabled, AHCI, and UEFI USB Key as first boot priority.

I can get the installer to boot using methods 2 and 3 but the installation fails each time. Before I attempt to install I have tried launching command prompt and diskpart to clean the destination SSD so that the entire drive is unallocated space then restart before attempting install. I either get error "We could not create a new partition or locate and existing one", code 0xc0000005 or code 0x8007025D.

I have also tried creating a 10GB partition on the SSD formatted to GPT and NTFS and copying the install files from my USB to this partition, restarting, booting from the new 10GB SSD partition and attempting install. This method will actually start the installation process but fails after copying Windows files with a blue screen or "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into next phase of installation.".

I have run chkdsk on both the SSD and all USBs and found no errors.

I have also tried all suggestions in the following links with no success:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ocate-an/acdb1dae-01d9-44f7-846c-433e5addcfc2

:)

mac3p14, Dec 30, 2020

2. Win 10 Pro and Win 10 EDU installation on same SSD

I'm a member over at eight forums and have just registered here, hello!

Windows 10 Pro was/is my default operating system - I've just installed Windows 10 EDU on a different partition on the same SSD. (One install needs Java 6 update 6 where my work systems use them. The fresh install requires the most recent Java version for IDEs to function correctly.)

Purely a question for my own benefit, some could argue it's trivial: The partitions that I've filled with a yellow colour shown in the below image - do they serve both operating system installs, and (low level answer welcome) why?

Failed install of Win 10 Edu 20H2 [​IMG]

Many thanks!

rowlands111, Dec 30, 2020
  3. chideock Win User
    KB4025339 Fails Install 0x80070564

Thanks
    I am trying Eagle 51's suggestions now. Windows Update troubleshooter found a bunch of errors and fixed all but one.The update is trying to download KB4025339 again. I'll see what happens. At step one troubleshooter finishes with one error unresolved "Potential Windows Update Database Error Detected-Not Fixed". Windows update stalled at 0%.

At step 2 same troubleshooter error. The KB finished a new download failed to install.
    Did step 3 KB has downloaded but fails to install.

If Eagle's suggestion doesn't work I'll try EdTittel's suggestion

Tried bothe Eagle & Ed 's suggestions - do not work. Anyone else?

I have noticed that the latest update for my nvidia drivers has failed to update. Wondering about that!

chideock, Dec 30, 2020
  4. kajson Win User

Win 10 clean install question

So I spend the day yesterday installing the computer, using a prepared usb key with windows 10 on it.

I got it all sorted in the end but I'll share my fails anyways so others might learn:

Do not try to do a clean install win with win 10 home N, when you come from a machine with just win 10 home. It won't activate *Wink Failed install of Win 10 Edu 20H2 ;) After reinstalling with the right copy, it was already activated right away after the first boot, didn't even have to initialise it.

There hasn't changed a whole lot in making clean install compared to older versions of windows, it's slightly better streamlined, though being asked at 3 different stages to enter a product key when it's not needed during install seems a bit annoying.

Further more it would be lovely if Microsoft finally learned to ask ALL questions regarding preferences updates and whatnot in one go, so you can then go away from your computer and come back to a fully installed/updated system including reboots.. Not impossible I would say.

There's still some little bugs, like when I installed realtek audio drivers, they'd go into an infinite loop asking for reboot and install the driver. And as a PDF reader isn't in the list of standard programs to select, foxitreader keeps saying it is not the default reader for pdf's even though I had said yes to the question 3x. If this fails to get file associations for PDF's I do hope Microsoft will fix this asap.

Thanks for the fast answers earlier guys, it gave me the confidence that all would be well, even when I cocked up the first install with the N version.

kajson, Dec 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Failed install of Win 10 Edu 20H2 - Similar Threads - Failed install Edu

2. downgrade win 10 edu to win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    downgrade win 10 edu to win 10 pro: i need to downgrade windows 10 pro education to windows 10 pro and i used the media creation tool to do an ISO file for the reinstall and im stuck at a certain point where its asking me to keep personal files and apps, keep personal files or keep nothing. what should I pick?...
  3. downgrade win 10 edu to win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    downgrade win 10 edu to win 10 pro: i need to downgrade windows 10 pro education to windows 10 pro and i used the media creation tool to do an ISO file for the reinstall and im stuck at a certain point where its asking me to keep personal files and apps, keep personal files or keep nothing. what should I pick?...
  4. downgrade win 10 edu to win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Downgrade WIN 10 EDU to Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Downgrade WIN 10 EDU to Pro: Hello,because of change of Microsoft internal policy, our organisation no longer applies for WIN 10 EDU licence so we need to change to PRO licences on end devices.We use KMS server to activate our machines.When I tried Using Changepk.exe /ProductKey...
  6. Downgrade WIN 10 EDU to Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downgrade WIN 10 EDU to Pro: Hello,because of change of Microsoft internal policy, our organisation no longer applies for WIN 10 EDU licence so we need to change to PRO licences on end devices.We use KMS server to activate our machines.When I tried Using Changepk.exe /ProductKey...
  7. Downgrade WIN 10 EDU to Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. win 10 failed to install

win 10 failed to install: win 10 install "failed in the safe__os phase with an error during boot operation"0x1900101 - 0x20017Boy do I need help - it took me 6 days to get this far and I thought I had it made when it came to the install step BUT . . .I see that others have had an identical problem but...
  9. Win 10 Pro and Win 10 EDU installation on same SSD

Win 10 Pro and Win 10 EDU installation on same SSD: I'm a member over at eight forums and have just registered here, hello! Windows 10 Pro was/is my default operating system - I've just installed Windows 10 EDU on a different partition on the same SSD. (One install needs Java 6 update 6 where my work systems use them. The...
  10. Failed Win 10 Installation

Failed Win 10 Installation: . I have 5 PC/Laptops with W7- W8.1 (2 to 7 years old) and I was able to upgrade with no problems to WIN 10. I have 2 identical New PC (2 months old with Win 8.1 Pro) : Pentium G3258 MB ASROCK H97M-ITX/AC H97 ITX R RAM: 8GB G Skill WD 1000GB Installed first Win8...