Windows 10: Failed recovery after screen-off

Discus and support Failed recovery after screen-off in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My power settings (when plugged in) are to never sleep (unless the lid is closed) but to turn off the display after some time (now I can't remember how... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by OsakaWebbie, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Failed recovery after screen-off

My power settings (when plugged in) are to never sleep (unless the lid is closed) but to turn off the display after some time (now I can't remember how long it was set - probably 15-30 minutes). Earlier today when I came back to my computer after a meal, nothing would turn the screen back on - no mouse movement, mouse clicking, key strokes, power button, disconnecting my external monitor, reconnecting it, etc. I tried all kinds of things, even Ctrl-Alt-Del and Ctrl-Shift-Esc. Nothing changed - it just stayed black, but the little LED indicators said the PC was no and not asleep. I was forced to hold down the power button to do a hard shutdown.

I assumed it was a fluke, so I went back to normal work. But the next time I was away long enough, the same thing happened! I experimented a couple times with no major software open and the screen-off setting at one minute, and it worked okay. But I no longer trust it. I lost work, and I'm not happy.

I now have a set of keystrokes written on a sticky note, which I will try if it happens again (Win-R, then `nircmd monitor on`). But if the normal methods of waking up the screen don't work, `nircmd` might not do any better. After all, the PC might just be hung and ignoring all my input - I don't know because I can't see anything.

I found lots of chatter on the web about problems coming out of sleep, but nothing about not recovering from a simple screen-off status. Any thoughts?

:)

OsakaWebbie, Oct 31, 2019
  2. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Oct 31, 2019
  3. yogurt_21 Win User
    Data recovery software

The Big Useful List Of Free Useful Programs To Use Usually For Free

click the top spoiler and then look down to recovery.

All of the suggestions in the old threads were consolidated into that one.

yogurt_21, Oct 31, 2019
  4. Failed recovery after screen-off

android recovery and kernel.img

For thouse who CAN help...:I can't enter adb (device not recognized), can't flash using stock recovery (don't really know the steps and stuck at triage and dead android when in recovery),

ELiTRiGG3R, Oct 31, 2019
Thema:

Failed recovery after screen-off

1. Failed recovery after screen-off - Similar Threads - Failed recovery screen

2. Blue Screen will not go away, recovery fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue Screen will not go away, recovery fails: My sisters computer Blue Screened while nobody was using it, we turned it on and it will not stop sending us in a recovery loop. We took it to BestBuy and Asked Geek Squad and followed their instructions of replacing the Hard Drive with an SSD and using the Microsoft tool to...
  3. Blue Screen will not go away, recovery fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue Screen will not go away, recovery fails: My sisters computer Blue Screened while nobody was using it, we turned it on and it will not stop sending us in a recovery loop. We took it to BestBuy and Asked Geek Squad and followed their instructions of replacing the Hard Drive with an SSD and using the Microsoft tool to...
  4. Blue Screen will not go away, recovery fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows installation failed after recovery reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows installation failed after recovery reset: Trying to delete all personal data in old PC before donating. Went to Recovery Reset and choose Remove everything and restore Windows from the device. During Windows install received error and install could not complete. Told to reply OK to error message and restart...
  6. Windows Activation after Recovery fails

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Activation after Recovery fails: Hi,Due to some hard disk corruption issues, i was needed to recover my windows operating system. In the Recovery option, i selected the option to get the OS from network, which installed the Windows 10 Home edition, whereas i had Windows 10 Home Single Language Edition...
  7. Recovery fail

Recovery fail: Windows recovery enviroment I was doing a network reset to reinstall my Wi-Fi adapter and when my computer is starting up after the reset it said your PC did not start correctly automatic repair at the top of the screen I click advanced options and it says troubleshoot...
  8. Recovery fails

Recovery fails: Split from this thread. I haveexactly the same problem, this time with a newly re-installed Lenovo Thinkpad 10 ver 2, which I have had working fine. This is using the USB restore made from the Microsoft utility. With a nearly new Sandisk 32GB Flash drive. I go into some...
  9. Failed recovery after factory reset.

Failed recovery after factory reset.: Hello, I got my laptop repaired just now. Since the policy of this repair centre is that they reset the PC to factory settings, i made a windows recovery DVD and and an ISO file of my complete system on an extternal HDD. Now the laptop came back, repaired but ofc in...
  10. Failed boot after system recovery

Failed boot after system recovery: I have Windows 10 Home on a Lenovo Yoga 720, the authentic copy that came with the laptop. I also needed an ubuntu installation (with GrubLoader) for work and that required me to change in my BIOS the hard drive from RAID to AHCI. I followed an online tutorial and successfuly...