Windows 10: failed restores with EaseUS Backup

Discus and support failed restores with EaseUS Backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am using the free edition of EaseUS ToDo Backup and run into problems with restoring in a specific situation. I was doing regular full backups of a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by FeriM, Dec 3, 2020.

1. FeriM Win User

failed restores with EaseUS Backup

I am using the free edition of EaseUS ToDo Backup and run into problems with restoring in a specific situation.

I was doing regular full backups of a Win7 system partition, located on Disk 1 (not sure if it matters, but when I installed Win 7 a long time ago, I forced Windows to use that partition for all files, including the win recovery files which would be placed otherwise on a distinct recovery partition).
    I transfered a backup B1 of the win 7 system to a different disk, Disk 2, and restored it to a system partition of Disk 2. All fine. Removed Disk1.
    Running Win7 on Disk2, I performed un upgrade to Win10, keeping all files and applications (Win 10 now created a distinct partition to store the win recovery files). All good.
    Using the exact same disk/partition mechanism, I created a backup B2 of the resulting Win10 system partition on Disk 2 and stored it (the recovery Win 10 partition not included). Actually B2 was the last backup I kept of that experiment, before B2 I also did create and restore successfuly some intermediary backups of the Win 10 system partition.
    Decided to start a new upgrade experiment, started again by restoring the B1 Win7, upgraded to win 10, then created a new full backup B3 of the resulting Win10 system partition on Disk 2 and stored it.
    Now I tried to restore B2 to the system partition on Disk 2, but the restore with EaseUs hung at 99 percent ("Updating system information...") and did not finish in a few hours (usualy it takes around 20 min).
    Using an emergency disk, I tried to restore both B2 and B3 to the system partition on Disk 2, same hanging at 99 percent.
    Now I tried to restore B1, which worked. Checked Disk 2, no problems. All was MBR, and the Disks 1 and 2 also have some additional data partitions which are also fine and were used to store backups etc.
    I checked backup B1, B2, B3 using the EaseUS software, it says that all are fine. All I did in these experiments was add/remove programs to check compatibility with Win 10, everything was fine when taking the backups.

What could be the cause of not beeing able to restore backup B2 and B3?

:)

FeriM, Dec 3, 2020
  2. SIW2 Win User

EaseUS todo backup

1. Click disk and partition backup

failed restores with EaseUS Backup [​IMG]

2. EITHER tick the box next to the Disk - then you could untick any partitions you don't want to include

3. OR - hover over a partition and a checkbox appears. Make sure boxes of any partitions you want image are ticked (in this case, I only ticked one partition)

4. Click Browse to select destination of image file.

It is suggesting L:\My Backups as destination - you can change that by browsing to a different destination

SIW2, Dec 3, 2020
  3. sumdumgai Win User
    How to restore C: drive from backup?

Thank you. I'll try your suggestion if my next attempt fails. I think my problem has been that I have been using a disk/partition backup instead of a system backup file.

- - - Updated - - -

Tried to recover from last System Backup file but it failed, too. Although it took a long time (from NAS backup), the recovery successfully completed. But the used size of the C: disk was very low and no OS was there. I have been using a USB that contains the Windows Installation Media, and when I boot from it, I select the UEFI version in the BIOS boot menu.

Here's latest attempt info:
    Using Command Prompt, I cleaned Disk 0 (C: Drive), where the OS should be, and converted it to GPT.
    Reinstalled W10 using USB that contains Windows Installation Media. I selected the UEFI version of the USB in the BIOS boot menu.
    After Reinstall, DiskPart, (List Disk, Disk 0 is GPT), (List Volume, Volume 3 is Boot), (Select Volume 3, List Partition, 1=Recovery, 2=System, 3=Reserved, 4=primary)
    Rebooted from EaseUS Emergency disk, using the UEFI version of the DVD in the boot menu.
    Restored Disk 0 (C: ) from EaseUS partition backup of C:
    After restore completed successfully, system rebooted itself.
    Error – No operating system found.
    Rebooted from USB Windows Media. Went to Repair mode, Troubleshoot, Command Prompt
    DiskPart, (List Disk, Disk 0 is GPT), (Select Disk 0, List Partition, Only 1 partition, Primary)

What am I missing? After the EaseUS restore, only 1 partition was created on Disk 0. The C: drive appears to have all of the files.

Thanks for your help.

sumdumgai, Dec 3, 2020
  4. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Dec 3, 2020
Thema:

1. failed restores with EaseUS Backup - Similar Threads - failed restores EaseUS

2. Backup on C: "fails". EaseUS TODO backup app.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup on C: "fails". EaseUS TODO backup app.: Trying to run a backup of my C: drive. Backup program keeps complaining: “Checking the partition found errors on 1 partitions without drive letter Unknown Partition. Click '0K' to create sector by sector backup or 'Cancel' the backup.”Backup program tech support says the...
  3. Backup on C: "fails". EaseUS TODO backup app.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup on C: "fails". EaseUS TODO backup app.: Trying to run a backup of my C: drive. Backup program keeps complaining: “Checking the partition found errors on 1 partitions without drive letter Unknown Partition. Click '0K' to create sector by sector backup or 'Cancel' the backup.”Backup program tech support says the...
  4. EaseUS todo backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    EaseUS todo backup: I am hoping someone knows how to use this software better than I do. I have it installed and can make a "Cdrive" backup on my Ddrive partition. I would like to make the same backup image on and external Hard Drive. I do NOT see anyway to do that. Can someone give me so...
  5. EaseUS todo backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EaseUS todo backup: I am hoping someone knows how to use this software better than I do. I have it installed and can make a "Cdrive" backup on my Ddrive partition. I would like to make the same backup image on and external Hard Drive. I do NOT see anyway to do that. Can someone give me so...
  6. EaseUS Todo Backup

EaseUS Todo Backup: I have EaseUS Todo Backup installed and have made a restore image and copied the restore image to an external drive . I have also made a recovery DVD incase Windows will not boot. I have to use this instead if Macrium Reflect because of some kind of problem with my RAM....
  7. EaseUS Todo Backup

in Windows 10 Support
    EaseUS Todo Backup: I have EaseUS Todo Backup installed and have made a restore image and copied the restore image to an external drive . I have also made a recovery DVD incase Windows will not boot. I have to use this instead if Macrium Reflect because of some kind of problem with my RAM....
  8. Startup repair loop after restore with EaseUS Todo Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Startup repair loop after restore with EaseUS Todo Backup: I was having a problem with my Win10 and with a repair in place upgrade I was able to fix it. I made a backup on the first boot in case it happened again. It happened again so I used the backup to restore it, and now I'm stuck in a startup repair boot loop. I think it may...
  9. Is it EaseUS Todo Backup that simple?

Is it EaseUS Todo Backup that simple?: I was trying out this backup system, and to my surprise, both disk/partition backup and system backup have finished fairly soon. Also, I was expecting a shutdown for a full system partition backup, but both were done online while I was working on other stuff. Is it really...
  10. easeus todo backup free

easeus todo backup free: 14GB image for an MR image would make me check out the MR image in a hurry -- something must have gone wrong during the backup process; I guess that concept applies to EaseUS also.