Windows 10: failed to boot from selected device

Discus and support failed to boot from selected device in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; so, im trying to boot from a USB, but when ever i go to boot from device then select the USB it says cannot boot from this device, anybody know why?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by 8c2n10yt897ewqyhecno, Jun 29, 2020.

1. failed to boot from selected device

so, im trying to boot from a USB, but when ever i go to boot from device then select the USB it says cannot boot from this device, anybody know why?

:)

8c2n10yt897ewqyhecno, Jun 29, 2020
  2. A Monell Win User

confused about selecting boot device

This is good information but I am confused about step 2 below. Wouldn't I need to select whatever device, USB or DVD, the install media is on at this point and not how I want the final install to boot?
    Thanks,and sorry for dragging up an old post but it had most of the info I was looking for.

It is up to you whether you want to install Windows using MBR or GPT and you need to set the option in the BIOS for MBR or GPT style installation.

Having said that. Here's the steps:
    1. Disconnect all HD/SSD except the one you will be installing Windows
    2. From the boot menu, Select #1 for GPT or select #2 for MBR to boot up the Windows Installation
      Attachment 29081
      NOTE: The screen is an example and might look different from yours
    3. Once the Windows Installation started. On the first screen, Press and hold SHIFT Key + F10, a command Windows will popup then type:
      - diskpart
      - select disk 0
      - Clean
      - Exit
      - Exit
    4. Click Next to continue.
    5. Select Custom
    6. Select the first unallocated partition and click next. Windows will create all needed partitions to install Windows 10
    7. Follow all the rest of the instruction to complete.

MBR installation:
    1. 500MB System Reserved partition
    2. C: Drive
    GPT installation:
    1. 450MB recovery partition
    2. 100MB EFI System Partition
    3. 16MB MSR partition
    4. C drive.
    [/QUOTE]

A Monell, Jun 29, 2020
  3. btarunr Win User
    Can't boot from DVD drive

Is your controller in RAID/AHCI modes? If so, the DVD drive will be listed as a separate device in the list of available boot devices, not as "CDROM". Remember that when setting boot device priority. Otherwise, read the manual to see which hotkey during POST brings up the boot menu that lets you select which device to boot from. Even here, the drive will be listed separately, and not as "CDROM".

btarunr, Jun 29, 2020
  4. Ma. Lau Win User

failed to boot from selected device

selected boot device failed

Hi,

We would like to know more about the issue. kindly provide the following:

• Do you get any error messages? If yes, kindly provide us the complete error message or code.
    • Are you able to sign in on your computer?
    • Can you send us a screenshot where you get the black screen with a message "Selected boot device failed"?
    We are looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Ma. Lau, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

failed to boot from selected device

1. failed to boot from selected device - Similar Threads - failed boot selected

2. Select proper boot device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Select proper boot device: Hi pls help me so I was just trying to restart my pc to update my windows and all of a sudden it just turned to the error screen and it says "reboot and select proper boot device", how do I fix this? Did I do smth wrong? Do I need to replace anything? Pls help I need this pc...
  3. Select proper boot device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Select proper boot device: Hi pls help me so I was just trying to restart my pc to update my windows and all of a sudden it just turned to the error screen and it says "reboot and select proper boot device", how do I fix this? Did I do smth wrong? Do I need to replace anything? Pls help I need this pc...
  4. Please select boot device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please select boot device: Why my pc shows please select boot device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-select-boot-device/b340d92b-38b1-4441-9583-1f8b678a3584
  5. Please select boot device

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Please select boot device: Why my pc shows please select boot device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-select-boot-device/b340d92b-38b1-4441-9583-1f8b678a3584
  6. Selected boot device failed.

Selected boot device failed.: While booting up my HP laptop this screen pops up. Hp disk diagnose failed before this and after that it showed this screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/selected-boot-device-failed/e1d2e277-5014-4f98-bd00-042e5ccb38fb
  7. "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device": Hi, I recently built a new PC with a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD. I'm installing Windows 10 via USB and I've made the USB top priority in the boot list. However, when I exit BIOS, It gives me an error saying "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected...
  8. The selected boot device failed, please press enter to continue

The selected boot device failed, please press enter to continue: Hello, I have encountered the selected boot device failed error. I was wondering is this could be the result of a bad CPU? I have purchased a new hard drive, in hopes that that will fix this issue, but I am not sure. I do know that I had the idlebuddy virus on my computer for...
  9. Reboot and select proper boot media in selected boot device

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reboot and select proper boot media in selected boot device: Title says it all. I just installed a new ssd drive and loaded W10 on it. All was working fine; W10 rebooted several times did updates rebooted and all was OK. I got to work connecting other drives and put case back together and then the no boot. I disconnected the other...
  10. The selected boot device failed error on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    The selected boot device failed error on Windows 10: [ATTACH] If during installation, you receive an error message The selected boot device failed, Press <Enter> to Continue then know that this error can occur when you use a USB Stick or even a DVD Disk to boot from. This is [...] This post The selected boot device failed...