Windows 10: Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error

Discus and support Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, So I upgraded my SSD from 250GB to 1TB, I used Clonezilla to clone my disk and I deleted all the extra partitions it had copied over. I assume... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by proton, Feb 17, 2019.

1. proton Win User

Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error

Hi,

So I upgraded my SSD from 250GB to 1TB, I used Clonezilla to clone my disk and I deleted all the extra partitions it had copied over. I assume this is where the restore or backup files were. Windows booted fine and I tried to do a backup with Paragon which failed. I thought to try a different backup software and found Macrium, so I tried with that and got an error message:

Failed: Failed - 0x8004230f - IDispatch error #8463 - Retrying without VSS Writers
    ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->AddToSnapshotSet((LPWSTR)volume.c_str(), GUID_NULL, &SnapshotID)" failed.
    - Returned HRESULT = 0x8004230f
    - Error text: VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR
    ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->BackupComplete(&pAsync)" failed.
    - Returned HRESULT = 0x80042301
    - Error text: VSS_E_BAD_STATE
    ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->AddToSnapshotSet((LPWSTR)volume.c_str(), GUID_NULL, &SnapshotID)" failed.
    - Error text: VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR

I have run the VSS Fix Problems and still no luck.
    I have tried the solution here https://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50043.aspx but no result. I have set the Volume Copy Shadow in Services to start automatically. Rebooted and it was started.
    I have uninstalled Paragon using Revo Uninstaller and still get the same message.
    I ran vssadmin list writers and there were no errors.
    I ran vssadmin list shadowstorage and it states - No items found for this query.

I tried to check Windows System Restore settings in Configure System Restore and get error message 0X81000203 with everything greyed out. I cannot select anything in System Protection. I cannot create a system restore point.

Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error [​IMG]

I assume when I deleted those other hidden partitions, something went wrong. I recreated a separate partition for the restore part of Windows but not sure if that will work for the restore to fix.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to fix this problem? I just don't want to reboot into Hiren's Boot Recovery to do backups every time. I have been working on this problem for two weeks now. I assume something happened with my new SSD that has caused the problem and the fact I delete those extra hidden partitions which more than likely had the restore or system recovery on them. OS I am using is Windows 10 Education I got from uni.

:)

proton, Feb 17, 2019
  2. SoFine409 Win User

Macrium fails to create a volume snapshot

A few days ago I installed Macrium Home V6 on four Win10 PCs (three Dell Desktops and a Dell laptop). Installs went well and I was able to create full and differential backups. Since Macrium was functioning correctly, I decided to uninstall Acronis True Image 2015 from all four PCs using the Acronis Cleanup Tool. After doing that I found that I can no longer make backups on any of them with Macrium unless I boot from a rescue USB. I suspect that the Acronis Cleanup Tool damaged the Volume Shadow Copy Service or possibly some other service(s) and or settings. Here is the error information that I get from the Macrium log, its the same on all 4 PCs.

Starting Image - Friday, January 27, 2017 17:41:35
    Initializing
    Destination Drive:
    Free Space 2.81 TB
    Creating Volume Snapshot - Please Wait

Failed: Code: 0x80042316 - Retrying without VSS Writers
    ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->StartSnapshotSet(&m_latestSnapshotSetID)" failed.
    - Returned HRESULT = 0x80042316
    - Error text: VSS_E_SNAPSHOT_SET_IN_PROGRESS
    - Error text: VSS_E_BAD_STATE
    Gathering Windows Events - Please Wait
    Backup aborted! - Failed To Create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306

This is the error message that is generated by Windows VSS:
    Date 1/27/2017 6:11:15 PM
    Type Error
    Event 12289
    Source VSS
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error DeviceIoControl(\\?\Volume{b3137e6b-0000-0000-0000-100000000000} - 00000000000001BC,0x0053c008,0000024AF1F0CA00,0,0000024AF1F0DA30,4096,[0]). hr = 0x80070079, The semaphore timeout period has expired.
    Operation: Processing EndPrepareSnapshotsContext: Execution Context: System Provider

I've tried the following but no joy:
    Repairing the Macrium program,
    Running the "Fix VSS Problems" app within Macrium,
    SFC, no errors,
    Checking the Volume Shadow Copy service, it is running and set to Automatic as MS recommends.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE 1: I tried to create a system restore point but it just ran for about 15 minutes without a result. Next I tried to stop and restart the Volume Shadow Copy service but got "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"

UPDATE 2: Since I could no longer create restore points. I decided to load an image that I created (on all 4 PCs) right before I used the Acronis Cleanup Tool. The good news it that I have VSS working correctly but the bad news is that I have Acronis 2015 back on my system. Does anyone know how to remove Acronis without crippling VSS? Maybe just a simple uninstall without using the Cleanup Tool, any thoughts?

SoFine409, Feb 17, 2019
  3. ameneses Win User
    Imaging Error "Shadow copy"

I'm using Macrium Reflect and when I try to create an image I get the following error:

Backup aborted! - Failed To Create Volume Snapshot Failed - 0x8004230f

After extensively researching I see that he error refers to Microsoft Shadow copy, and as such Macrium told me to ask for your help. I've gone online hours trying to apply multiple approaches but nothing helps.

Please advise urgently.

Here is the whole error:

-boi 111 ly in myc jglui uaj . r-^ji 11 i i. lu IJ.Vi .*#

Initializing

Write Method: Using RIe System Cache

Destination Drive: BACKUP IMAGES (F:| - Free Space 486.26 GB

Free space threshold: Delete oldest backup sets when free space is less than 5.00 GB

Creating Volume Snapshot - Please Wait

Failed: Failed - 0x8004230f - Retrying without VSS Writers

ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->AddToSnapshotSet((LPWSTR)volume.c_strO. GUID.NULL. SSnapshotlD)" failed

- Errortext: VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR

- Errortext: VSS_E_BAD_STATE

ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->AddToSnapshotSet((LPWSTR)volume.c_strO. GUID.NULL. SSnapshotlD)" failed

- Errortext: VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR

Gathering Windows Events - Please Wait

Backup aborted! - Failed To Create Volume Snapshot Failed - 0x8004230*

ameneses, Feb 17, 2019
  4. D_Watson Win User

Veeam backups failing since 1803 install with 0x80042306 VSS timeout error

On desktop machine here, post 1803 update, Veeam backups are repeatably failing. Associated event viewer information:

Veeam Agent 'Backup Job DIYNUC' finished with Failed.

Job details: Creating VSS snapshot Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed.

Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data.

VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x80042306].

Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed.

Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data.

VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x80042306].

The shadow copy of volume \\?\Volume{0e1a4bd5-2758-4ab6-a00c-05bc7333610a} being created failed to install.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error DeviceIoControl(\\?\Volume{0e1a4bd5-2758-4ab6-a00c-05bc7333610a} - 000000000000021C,0x0053c008,000001DDF8C0A6B0,0,000001DDF8C0B6E0,4096,[0]). hr = 0x80070079, The semaphore timeout period has expired.

This was working for months before 1803 installation. And works on my 1803 laptop.

Any suggestions?

D_Watson, Feb 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error - Similar Threads - Failed Create Volume

2. VSS Failure: Failed to create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VSS Failure: Failed to create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306: I have an HP Laptop that was native Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10. Now in dealing with the User running out of HD space, I was going to use Macrium Reflect to clone the SATA HD to another larger SATA HD. In working with Macrium support and after attempting to use their...
  3. VSS Failure: Failed to create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VSS Failure: Failed to create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306: I have an HP Laptop that was native Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10. Now in dealing with the User running out of HD space, I was going to use Macrium Reflect to clone the SATA HD to another larger SATA HD. In working with Macrium support and after attempting to use their...
  4. VSS Failure: Failed to create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't Image my C: Drive. "Backup aborted failed to create volume snapshot failed 0x8004230f"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Image my C: Drive. "Backup aborted failed to create volume snapshot failed 0x8004230f": I already did all the support stuff from this thread https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/VSS+Error+0x8000ffff+Backup+aborted%21+-+Failed+To+Create+Volume+Snapshot yet it still doesn't work. Anyone had this issue before in Macrium Reflect (Free) and know how to fix...
  6. Clone Failed -- error creating volume snapshots

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone Failed -- error creating volume snapshots: I've used Macrium for a couple of years to install ssd's and never had a problem. I'm on W10 for 2 computers plus 1 which is XP, and the reason I'm posting. I want to put a ssd in my old Dell 630 with XP. I d/l & installed Macrium 7.x, made a rescue disk, and tried to clone...
  7. Problem backup failed due to a VSS snapshot error

Problem backup failed due to a VSS snapshot error: From some time when i make a backup with Acronis, my system alert me for some error on VSSD ref. 12293. Attached image of situation on c proprity and lof of VSSDoctor. When i go in system properties the protection is disable and is impossible enable ... I try also with...
  8. Macrium Reflect Free - creating volume snapshot

Macrium Reflect Free - creating volume snapshot: I recently downloaded and installed Macrium Reflect Free for my computer running windows 10 Home Edition (I also have a computer that has windows 10 pro - but this is in regards to the computer running windows 10 home) I started to create the backup and noticed a Failed:...
  9. Unable to create VSS snapshot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to create VSS snapshot: I'm using a tool to backup my Windows 10 system and it shows this error when I start the process: FAILED: The VSS snapshots cannot be stored because there is not enough space on the source volumes or because the source machine does not have any NTFS volumes. Error code:...
  10. Macrium fails to create a volume snapshot

Macrium fails to create a volume snapshot: A few days ago I installed Macrium Home V6 on four Win10 PCs (three Dell Desktops and a Dell laptop). Installs went well and I was able to create full and differential backups. Since Macrium was functioning correctly, I decided to uninstall Acronis True Image 2015 from all...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fix macrium reflect  idispatch error

2. macrium Failed: Failed - 0x80042306 - IDispatch error #8454 - - Returned HRESULT = 0x80042301 - Error text: VSS_E_BAD_STATE

3. macrium idispatch error #8463 Kaspersky

4. macrium idispatch error 8463,
  5. what dooes fix vss in macruim do,
  6. unbale to create system image backup 0x8004230F,
  7. Failed - 0x80042306 - IDispatch error #8454 - Retrying without VSS Writers ERROR: COM call m_pVssObject->BackupComplete(&pAsync) failed. - Returned HRESULT = 0x80042301 - Error text: VSS_E_BAD_STATE,
  8. Failed - 0x80042316 - IDispatch error #8470 - Retrying without VSS Writers ERROR: COM call m_pVssObject->StartSnapshotSet(&m_latestSnapshotSetID) failed. - Returned HRESULT = 0x80042316 - Error text: VSS_E_SNAPSHOT_SET_IN_PROGRESS ERROR: COM call ,
  9. backup aborted! - failed to create volume snapshot. failed - 0x80042306 - idispatch error #8454