Windows 10: Failed to install update Windows 2004 Update to 21H1

Discus and support Failed to install update Windows 2004 Update to 21H1 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have 4 identical computers built exactly the same. Three of the 4 computers were upgraded from 2004 to 21H1, using a simple "Check for updates" and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by FrankWoosley, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Failed to install update Windows 2004 Update to 21H1

I have 4 identical computers built exactly the same. Three of the 4 computers were upgraded from 2004 to 21H1, using a simple "Check for updates" and the upgrade to 21H1 was cleaned up. On the last of the 4 computers, everything came out clean, but winver shows that Update 2004 is still installed. Clicked "Check for Update", it seemed to install 20H2 and reboot with no problems. winver was still showing 2004 and Windows Update in Settings keeps saying "Your version of Windows has reached the end of service". Ran the troubleshooter. Found that the Windows update was corrupted. I fix everythin

:)

FrankWoosley, Oct 19, 2021
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Oct 19, 2021
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Oct 19, 2021
  4. Failed to install update Windows 2004 Update to 21H1

Windows Update keeps failing!

Yea, that was going to be my next suggestion, if "Safe mode" did not work... I didn't want to scare him just yet.. *Toast :toast: There is a new feature in Windows 8 that will let you go back to a fresh install with just a few clicks. It should help a lot non pro's to start over fresh. *Toast :toast: But this is no help to him.. *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Oct 19, 2021
Thema:

Failed to install update Windows 2004 Update to 21H1

1. Failed to install update Windows 2004 Update to 21H1 - Similar Threads - Failed install update

2. Windows 21H1 failed to update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 21H1 failed to update: My Dell 24 3544 All in One failed to complete the 21H1 upgrade. After it re-booted, the computer was so slow that it would take literally 10 minutes to open a window. Also the Windows Search Bar would not work. I could click on the Search Bar, it 'might' let me actually get...
  3. Failed to install update Windows 2004 Update to 21H1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failed to install update Windows 2004 Update to 21H1: I have 4 identical computers built exactly the same. Three of the 4 computers were upgraded from 2004 to 21H1, using a simple "Check for updates" and the upgrade to 21H1 was cleaned up. On the last of the 4 computers, everything came out clean, but winver shows that Update...
  4. Failed to install update Windows 2004 Update to 21H1

Failed to install update Windows 2004 Update to 21H1: I have 4 identical computers built exactly the same. Three of the 4 computers were upgraded from 2004 to 21H1, using a simple "Check for updates" and the upgrade to 21H1 was cleaned up. On the last of the 4 computers, everything came out clean, but winver shows that Update...
  5. Windows 10 2004 update to 21H1 fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 2004 update to 21H1 fails: Hi, I am trying to update Windows 10 Professional from 2004 to 21H1. Unfortunately, it repeatedly fails. The error code is 0xC1900101 0x30018. I upgraded the system from Windows 8 to Windows 10 last December. This worked fine; since then, no hardware has been changed. I have...
  6. Windows 10 2004 update to 21H1 fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 2004 update to 21H1 fails: Hi, I am trying to update Windows 10 Professional from 2004 to 21H1. Unfortunately, it repeatedly fails. The error code is 0xC1900101 0x30018. I upgraded the system from Windows 8 to Windows 10 last December. This worked fine; since then, no hardware has been changed. I have...
  7. Windows 10 2004 update to 21H1 fails

8. Installing 21H1 update fails

Installing 21H1 update fails: I'm trying to install the 21H1 update on my Windows 10 machine and after installing the update and restarting it appears to fail as the build number is not changed. I don't receive any error message after the restart and I can't figure out what is causing it in the setuperr...
  9. Failing to update to 21H1

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Failing to update to 21H1: I have 2 identically configured MSI laptops, one successfully updated to 21H1, the other one didn't. I went through the downloading, installing phases, rebooted and winver says I have the old 20H1. Weird. 181122
  10. Failed update to 21H1?

Failed update to 21H1?: It is showing as installed in feature updates under update history: but the System/About is still showing as 20H2: How do I resolve this? I tried to download and run the Windows 10 Update Assistant, but that didn't change anything, after downloading and attempting to install...