Windows 10: Failed to reset laptop with USB recovery drive

Discus and support Failed to reset laptop with USB recovery drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Trying to reset my lenovo Y700. Created a recovery drive on a flash drive, booted from it to the reset tool. Tried reseting with "Just remove my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by UBW99, Apr 7, 2021.

1. UBW99 Win User

Failed to reset laptop with USB recovery drive

Trying to reset my lenovo Y700.

Created a recovery drive on a flash drive, booted from it to the reset tool.

Tried reseting with "Just remove my files" option, failed with the following message

"There was a problem reseting your PC.No changes were made."

Tried resetting with "Fully clean the drive" option, failed.

Tried "Startup repair", failed.

Tried command prompt, can't find C drive.

Tried booting from hard drive, "No bootable device".

Now I am stuck with a laptop that doesn't boot up to anything besides the reset tool, where every option is failing. Please help! :

:)

UBW99, Apr 7, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

Windows 10 recovery USB - which size???

Not even that. What creating a recovery drive does (if you select 'include system files') is to construct the files required to clean install Windows. If this is made on an OEM install these file will include the OEM custom apps and drivers - effectively a 'factory reset' drive. It is extracting an install image from your existing system files that takes the time.

The steps in making a recovery drive are shown in this tutorial...

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 | Tutorials

• first you choose whether or not to include system files (step 5 in tutorial)
    • next the recovery drive files are constructed (this can take a long time if you include system files)
    • only after that is complete will you be asked which usb to use (step 6 in tutorial). At this point you will be told how large a usb you need.

Without system files 512 Mb is sufficient. Including system files it will be just over 4GB.

At which step did you get the error? If you were not asked which usb to use then it was the construction of the system files that failed, nothing to do with what usb you had.

Bree, Apr 7, 2021
  3. zbook Win User
    How to reformat USB Recovery Drive

Part of the commands and results were missing from the image.

Open adminstrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk #
    (replace # with the disk number for the flash drive)
    attributes disk clear readonly
    exit

If the above steps work then you are set.
    If the above steps fail then view this link for additional troubleshooting steps:
    How to Format Read-only USB Drive Successfully?

zbook, Apr 7, 2021
  4. rct0 Win User

Win10 Reset This PC/Recovery Drive fails, overwrites wrong drive!

System: Lenovo Thinkpad P51, 2 drives, 1 x NVMe, 1 x HDD.

I replaced the NVMe drive and attempted to reinstall Windows using a USB Recovery drive created on this system before any problems. This failed and would have resulted in data loss if I didn't have other backups. From my perspective, there seem to be a
    number of critical bugs in this recovery environment for machines with more than 1 drive.

Steps:

1. booted from USB recovery drive
    2. Select Troubleshoot
    3. Select Recover from a drive
    4. Select either Just remove my files or Fully clean the drive

Result:

1. Appears to be working, but fails at 77% in. Error message "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."
    2. There was no prompt for which drive to use. The existing HDD was silently repartitioned. No changes were made is an incorrect statement. There was no windows install on the HDD.
    3. The repartitioned HDD was never made bootable. So the system still can't boot into Windows.

Problems/Bugs:

1. No prompt for which drive to reset/install windows on.
    2. No information about which drive has been selected before prompting to proceed.
    3. Misleading information "No changes were made". when one of the drives had been repartitioned.
    4. No information about what failed or how to get to any logs. How should someone attempt to troubleshoot the problem?
    5. There doesn't seem to be an option to force a particular drive to be used as the system drive.
    6. Some of the menus for Troubleshoot are lacking "Back". In some cases you need to select an operation before you get to a point where you can hit cancel. There are no assurances when you select those options that you will be given a chance to cancel.

Questions:

1. Is the reset my PC / Recovery drive utility usable on a multi-drive system?
    2. Without physically removing drives (the bios/uefi doesn't have a disable option AFAICT) how do I set which drive is the system drive to be installed/updated/etc.?
    3. Should I be attempting to file any bug reports?

Note: I'm aware that I should be able to use the media creation tool on another system to do a generic Windows 10 install. However, I'd prefer to reinstall the factory environment with the OEM drivers already installed.

rct0, Apr 7, 2021
Thema:

1. Failed to reset laptop with USB recovery drive - Similar Threads - Failed reset laptop

2. System recovery failed when usb recovery drive was not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System recovery failed when usb recovery drive was not working: OK I’m not a very good computer user so when answering please try to make it so I can understand. OK I had a Drive with Windows 11 on it and I had an SSD drive with Rokie Linux installed on it. I wanted to do windows recovery and I put my recovery, USB drive and booted up and...
  3. System recovery failed when usb recovery drive was not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System recovery failed when usb recovery drive was not working: OK I’m not a very good computer user so when answering please try to make it so I can understand. OK I had a Drive with Windows 11 on it and I had an SSD drive with Rokie Linux installed on it. I wanted to do windows recovery and I put my recovery, USB drive and booted up and...
  4. USB: Recovery Drive Creation Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB: Recovery Drive Creation Failed: Hi, I have- Windows 11 Home Single Language,- Version 21H2,- OS Build 22000.1281,- Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1281.0- Installed on HP Pavilion 15' dk0043TX Laptop.I have error when creating USB recovery drive when I checked Option "Backup system...
  5. USB Recovery Drive creation failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Recovery Drive creation failed: Hi, I have - Windows 11 Home Single Language,- Version 21H2, - OS Build 22000.1281,- Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1281.0- Installed on HP Pavilion 15' dk0043TX Laptop.I have error when creating USB recovery drive when I checked Option "Backup system...
  6. USB: Recovery Drive Creation Failed

USB: Recovery Drive Creation Failed: Hi, I have- Windows 11 Home Single Language,- Version 21H2,- OS Build 22000.1281,- Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1281.0- Installed on HP Pavilion 15' dk0043TX Laptop.I have error when creating USB recovery drive when I checked Option "Backup system...
  7. USB Recovery Drive creation failed

USB Recovery Drive creation failed: Hi, I have - Windows 11 Home Single Language,- Version 21H2, - OS Build 22000.1281,- Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1281.0- Installed on HP Pavilion 15' dk0043TX Laptop.I have error when creating USB recovery drive when I checked Option "Backup system...
  8. USB Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB Recovery Drive: I have an ACER computer that was updated from Windows 7 to 10 when the update was still free. The updates are up to date except for the 2H20. I was trying to make a USB Recovery Drive. I tried to follow the directions I could find on the web. After finding and opening...
  9. Win 10 recovery from USB recovery drive failed at 75%

Win 10 recovery from USB recovery drive failed at 75%: I tried recovering to a new HD in my HP 8001 tower. It had been intermittently failing to boot Win 10 x64. The "recover from device" failed at 75% from the USB drive I had created with this PC. I tried a recovery USB made from a Win 10 x64 notebook with the same result. I...
  10. usb recovery drive

usb recovery drive: have tried to re install windows 10 from usb recovery drive a number of times, reaches approx. 50% and fails. on entering command prompt window, have message that there is not enough disk space to complete command. I thought all files would be wiped from disk and new windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Lenovo recovery USB Windows 10 failed

2. recovery usb failing.to restore