Windows 10: Failed to unlock with this recovery key

Discus and support Failed to unlock with this recovery key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Laptop: Asus Rog G14, good conditionMy laptop started crahsing bsod more often than it used to, about 2 weeks ago. I didn't think of much and continued... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Theo Funk, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Theo Funk Win User

Failed to unlock with this recovery key

Laptop: Asus Rog G14, good conditionMy laptop started crahsing bsod more often than it used to, about 2 weeks ago. I didn't think of much and continued to use it. 2 days ago it got really bad and today upon launch it gives me the 'unmountable boot volume' stop code. All troubleshooting options that are given to me I have to enter the recovery key for. After entering the right one it gives me a message saying 'Failed to unlock with this recovery key'. What is the problem, how do I reset windows?

:)

Theo Funk, Dec 5, 2022

2. Windows BitLocker Recovery Key Not Working (Failed to unlock with this recovery key)

We have a system with BitLocker Enabled. The system requested a recovery key and we entered the correct 48-digit recovery password based on the provided Recovery Key ID. However, after entering the recovery key, it says "Failed to unlock with this recovery key" may I know how to solve the issue and how we get the file on the disk if the recovery is not working?

Virgilio Macuana Jr., Dec 5, 2022
  3. Full_Keel Win User
    Windows Startup recovery "Failed to unlock with this recovery key"

Hi. My laptop was booting directly to UEFI after a Windows update since it couldn't find the OS. I have a bootable USB that I am trying to use to repair with. The computer's only internal storage is an SSD which has BitLocker. I have found and entered the
    correct key, but, after a few seconds of trying to unlock the drive, I get the error `Failed to unlock with this recovery key`.

The bootable USB contains Windows 10 home which was freshly installed onto my USB drive a few hours ago using Microsoft's Installation Media Tool.

And yes, I have triple checked and reentered the recovery key. No, I'm not entering the key ID; I'm entering the 48 digit recovery key from my Microsoft account which I matched to the ID so that I know I'm entering the correct one.

Full_Keel, Dec 5, 2022
  4. Failed to unlock with this recovery key

Entering correct BitLocker recovery key results in 'Failed to unlock with this recovery key'

My recovery codes are stored with Microsoft, and I got my other four installed drives recovered perfectly the first time through, but my operating system drive (CFailed to unlock with this recovery key :) is not able to recognize the correct recovery key.

I can see the code, enter the code, but sadly receive 'Failed to unlock with this recovery key'. Again, I had four successes with other drives - it's just this one - and happens to be my C:, which stops everything else and won't let Windows run, nor even
    repair/restore itself in Bitlocker (Factory Reset fails with error code 0x80070057).

Anyone else run into this?

WestCoastie, Dec 5, 2022
Thema:

Failed to unlock with this recovery key

1. Failed to unlock with this recovery key - Similar Threads - Failed unlock recovery

2. Recovery Key fails to unlock bitlocker encrypted disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Key fails to unlock bitlocker encrypted disk: I was encrypting a secondary os, w11, and the process required to restart the PC. By default restarted in the primary os, when I tried to continue the encrypting process of the secondary disk, bitlocker asks for the recovery kid. When I insert the correct recovery Key the...
  3. Recovery Key fails to unlock bitlocker encrypted disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery Key fails to unlock bitlocker encrypted disk: I was encrypting a secondary os, w11, and the process required to restart the PC. By default restarted in the primary os, when I tried to continue the encrypting process of the secondary disk, bitlocker asks for the recovery kid. When I insert the correct recovery Key the...
  4. Failed to unlock with this recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed to unlock with this recovery key: Laptop: Asus Rog G14, good conditionMy laptop started crahsing bsod more often than it used to, about 2 weeks ago. I didn't think of much and continued to use it. 2 days ago it got really bad and today upon launch it gives me the 'unmountable boot volume' stop code. All...
  5. Failed to unlock with this recovery key

Failed to unlock with this recovery key: Laptop: Asus Rog G14, good conditionMy laptop started crahsing bsod more often than it used to, about 2 weeks ago. I didn't think of much and continued to use it. 2 days ago it got really bad and today upon launch it gives me the 'unmountable boot volume' stop code. All...
  6. Windows BitLocker Recovery Key Not Working Failed to unlock with this recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows BitLocker Recovery Key Not Working Failed to unlock with this recovery key: We have a system with BitLocker Enabled. The system requested a recovery key and we entered the correct 48-digit recovery password based on the provided Recovery Key ID. However, after entering the recovery key, it says "Failed to unlock with this recovery key" may I know how...
  7. Windows BitLocker Recovery Key Not Working Failed to unlock with this recovery key

Windows BitLocker Recovery Key Not Working Failed to unlock with this recovery key: We have a system with BitLocker Enabled. The system requested a recovery key and we entered the correct 48-digit recovery password based on the provided Recovery Key ID. However, after entering the recovery key, it says "Failed to unlock with this recovery key" may I know how...
  8. Windows BitLocker Recovery Key Not Working Failed to unlock with this recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. Bitlocker- "Failed to unlock with this recovery key"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker- "Failed to unlock with this recovery key": Wndows recently had an update. Upon restarting the computer, I am prompted with option to enter the recovery key. I was able to retrieve the key from my outlook account which is what I use to login to my account. I typed in that key but it gives me an error (title). I noticed...
  10. Windows Startup recovery "Failed to unlock with this recovery key"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Startup recovery "Failed to unlock with this recovery key": Hi. My laptop was booting directly to UEFI after a Windows update since it couldn't find the OS. I have a bootable USB that I am trying to use to repair with. The computer's only internal storage is an SSD which has BitLocker. I have found and entered the correct key, but,...