Windows 10: Failed W10

Discus and support Failed W10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; All downloaded. I've come to a drastic halt, and I know why. First I dont have a spare cd - I presume that is required for a dis burner, and currently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by joodyanne, May 13, 2016.

1. joodyanne Win User

Failed W10

All downloaded. I've come to a drastic halt, and I know why. First I dont have a spare cd - I presume that is required for a dis burner, and currently my portable disc drive wont work bvecause I apparently have some other stuff to burn, and can't get rid of it as I've misplaced the cd from whic the information belongs (Windows 2003)

Any suggestions - of an alternative?

joodyanne, May 14, 2016
  2. simrick Win User

You don't need any media. Simply have the ISO saved on your desktop. See the video at approximately 14:40 on how to "MOUNT" the ISO and run setup.exe to perform the upgrade. (as I said in post #3)

simrick, May 14, 2016
  3. joodyanne Win User
    Well the download saved itself to downloads, I copied it across to desktop but don't know if it will work. I looked at the video, it was a bit intimidating. I didn't see "MOUNT" the ISO *Sad. Bit nervous about doing this.

joodyanne, May 16, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Failed W10

Okay so you've got the ISO on your desktop - good. In Windows 7, there is no native feature to mount an ISO like there is in Windows 8, which is why you have to watch the video. At approximately 21:30 it shows how to mount an ISO using 7-Zip, which is a free 3rd-party compression utility.

So, download 7-Zip and install it.
    7-Zip
    Go to the ISO which you have copied on to your desktop.
    Right-click the ISO and do exactly as in the video:
    Starting about 21:30 in the videoOpen 7-Zip
    Navigate to the ISO on the Desktop
    Right-click and select 7-Zip>Extract Here7-Zip will then extract all the files within the ISO to your desktop.Once complete, close 7-Zip.
    Find the file on your desktop named setup.exe
    Double-click it and your upgrade will begin.Be prepared, as it will take a while.

If you want to read the tutorial on how to extract files from an ISO in Windows 7, see this:
    SevenForums.com Tutorial
    ISO - Disk Image File : Extract to the Desktop in Windows 7
    ISO - Disk Image File : Extract to the Desktop - Windows 7 Help Forums

Please just be sure you have all your important data backed up, just in case something happens. Usually, if there is a problem with the upgrade and it can't be completed, Windows will roll you back to your Windows 7 installation. But, every once and a while, some people have had problems with the rollback, so it's best to be safe and back up your data before upgrading.

Good luck. Really, it's not so bad. *Smile

simrick, May 16, 2016
  5. joodyanne Win User
    Not going too good. The copy of w10 I transferred from docs to desktop is actually to burn *Sad
    I downloaded 7 zip and where you said to run setup files, I get a different window. I really think I need to start all over again *Sad

joodyanne, May 16, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Can you show me a screenshot of the ISO on your desktop please?

simrick, May 16, 2016
  7. joodyanne Win User
    Sure - it is entitled Win10_1511_1Englishx64 and seems to be a disc image file ( I may have mentioned this before)

I tried to attach it but as its 4310.660kbs, it wont load. When I click on it tho, this screen comes up

Disregard that one, I mean to show what happens when I click on the Win10 file

joodyanne, May 16, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

Failed W10

Okay, so that sounds like an ISO file to me.
    Now, you installed 7-Zip right?
    Go to Start>all programs and open 7-Zip.
    Navigate to the Desktop folder, open it in 7-Zip and find the ISO file.
    Right-click it, and select 7-Zip>Extract Here.

simrick, May 16, 2016
  9. derekimo Win User
    You have 7-zip installed, you can just right click on the ISO and select extract here,

Failed W10 [​IMG]

derekimo, May 16, 2016
  10. simrick Win User
    Here are screenshots to extract the ISO (from the video) :

Failed W10 [​IMG]

Failed W10 [​IMG]

Failed W10 [​IMG]

Failed W10 [​IMG]

Failed W10 [​IMG]

Failed W10 [​IMG]

simrick, May 16, 2016
  11. derekimo Win User
    Why wouldn't you just right click on the ISO and use the 7-zip context menu option?

derekimo, May 16, 2016
  12. simrick Win User
    I don't have a W7 machine handy to know that exists. *Sad You could do that. I was just having the OP follow the video.

simrick, May 16, 2016
  13. derekimo Win User

Failed W10

It has nothing to do with what OS you are on, 7-zip when installed at it's defaults will put the context menu entries there.

I just thought it would be less steps, wasn't sure if you had a reason not to is why I asked.

derekimo, May 16, 2016
  14. simrick Win User
    You're absolutely right. I skipped W7 and went from XP directly to W8, then W10, which always had integral zip capabilities, so I never really used 7-Zip, except to make that video, and following Brink's 7F tutorial, I just assumed that's how you do it. *Smile

simrick, May 16, 2016
  15. derekimo Win User
    No problem, we're all looking for the same outcome. *Smile

derekimo, May 16, 2016
Thema:

Failed W10

1. Failed W10 - Similar Threads - Failed W10

2. W10 VPN Error: The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 VPN Error: The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a...: Hi guysI recently replaced my hard drive with a SSD and used a clean install on Windows 10 via flash drive / recovery media. All has gone fine, except when I try and log on to my VPN I get the error: The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a...
  3. W10 VPN Error: The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 VPN Error: The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a...: Hi guysI recently replaced my hard drive with a SSD and used a clean install on Windows 10 via flash drive / recovery media. All has gone fine, except when I try and log on to my VPN I get the error: The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a...
  4. W10 VPN Error: The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 11 install from W10 failing on 2nd boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 install from W10 failing on 2nd boot: It says it can't find the boot device. I updated everything, clean booted, disconnected everything except kbd and mouse, tried installing from usb, updated the bios, TPM enabled, the install is not finding the drive for some reason. Any Ideas on this?...
  6. Windows 11 install from W10 failing on 2nd boot

Windows 11 install from W10 failing on 2nd boot: It says it can't find the boot device. I updated everything, clean booted, disconnected everything except kbd and mouse, tried installing from usb, updated the bios, TPM enabled, the install is not finding the drive for some reason. Any Ideas on this?...
  7. Cumulative updates 21H2 and 22H2 fail to apply on W10 20H1

Cumulative updates 21H2 and 22H2 fail to apply on W10 20H1: Hello. In the past years I tried to update the system a few times. Antivirus, driver and other software updates did complete flawlessly, however it seems that Windows Update did not update Windows' core components at all. For security reasons I would like to finally update my...
  8. Cumulative updates 21H2 and 22H2 fail to apply on W10 20H1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cumulative updates 21H2 and 22H2 fail to apply on W10 20H1: Hello. In the past years I tried to update the system a few times. Antivirus, driver and other software updates did complete flawlessly, however it seems that Windows Update did not update Windows' core components at all. For security reasons I would like to finally update my...
  9. Cumulative updates 21H2 and 22H2 fail to apply on W10 20H1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Increasingly common BSOD on W10 - wdiwifi.sys failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Increasingly common BSOD on W10 - wdiwifi.sys failed: Since December of 2021, I have been occasionally getting BSODs with the same error messages each time:Stop Code: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLEDWhat failed: wdiwifi.sysIn the past few days, these crashes seem to have become increasingly more common. I have gotten two more...