Windows 10: Failing to see 5GHZ SSID wifi network

Discus and support Failing to see 5GHZ SSID wifi network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, Just wondered if anybody can help me sort out this problem which I have. I have Bt infinity 2 with a BT hub 5 router which enables me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by samIOW, May 24, 2016.

1. samIOW Win User

Failing to see 5GHZ SSID wifi network

Hello,

Just wondered if anybody can help me sort out this problem which I have.

I have Bt infinity 2 with a BT hub 5 router which enables me to have either a 2.4 GHZ or a 5GHZ wifi my problem is that it see's and connects to the 2.4GHZ but does not see the 5GHZ one , surely windows should see all network close or within range???

any help would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

Sam

:)

samIOW, May 24, 2016

2. how to change 2.4gh to 5gh wifi

Hi Kaleshas,

Just to confirm:

• Can your phone actually "see" the 5GHz SSID and is unable to connect OR it can't detect the 5GHz SSID at all?
    • Did you get any error message when you tried connecting?
    • Are there other devices connected to the 5GHz network of your wifi router (and presumably working)?
    • Have you tried connecting the phone to other 5GHz wifi?

Good day!

Master_Thovy, May 24, 2016
  3. Lumia 950 fails to connect to WiFi while Bluetooth is enabled

Hi again

I have a better understanding now about how my new Router has "solved" the issue. It hasn't. But it does provide a workaround.

• My old router had both 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi but they were broadcast using the same SSID name.

• My new router also has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz but allows them to have separate SSIDs.

With the new router, I set up my Lumia 950 to connect to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks, but left it with the 5GHz network connected when I did my testing.

I went out last night and when I came home, the phone connected to the 2.4GHz WiFi and the issue "returned" (it had never really went away). So, I made my phone forget the 2.4GHz WiFi and so now it only connects to the 5GHz WiFi.

The "solution" I have with the new router is to not use 2.4GHz WiFi. This then avoids the clash with Bluetooth (which also uses 2.4GHz frequency range).

-----------

The old router did not allow me to turn off 2.4GHz WiFi (I could turn off 5GHz) and did not allow me to specifically tell a device to connect to 5GHz.

This also explains how sometimes (with the old router) when I would come home with Bluetooth turned on and my phone would seem to work for a while before failing. It would have been connecting to 5GHz initially, until it lost the 5GHz network at some stage
    and then tried to reconnect to 2.4GHz and failed.

So if your router can have separate SSIDs for the two ranges use that feature. Then set your phone to only use 5GHz.

The problem remains that Bluetooth and 2.4GHz WiFi cannot work together.

David

David Musgrave, May 24, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

I doubt whether it's BT's Router that's the problem unless it's not configured correctly.

Two things

First - does your device that's using Wifi have 5GHZ capability - if it doesn't then tough --no go. Note also some wi-fi extenders can't "See" 5GHZ networks either so if using an extender check that.

Second - does your BT router have simultaneous (optional) transmission of both 5GHZ and 2.4GHZ or do you have to choose one or the other.

Where I am (a long way from BT !!!!) I have proper Fibre Optic Internet all the way -- no copper - and the wi-fi box allows transmission of both 5GHZ and 2.4GHZ simultaneously - I have both enabled as some older devices can't see 5GHZ band.

If you have a recent mobile phone check if that can see the 5GHZ network. Most smart phones are new enough to support 5GHZ wi-fi.

If all else fails check Router settings --log on with a bit of LAN cable if you can't do it via wifi --addresses are usually 192.168.x.1 where x is normally 0, 1,or 2 - router documentation should give you that. Admin password / pin / other credentials are usually stuck on the bottom of the box but should be with your contract.

If you can get 5GHZ band to work then the wifi will have a maximum theoretical throughput with current protocols of 433 Mb/s -- should be fast enough for you !!!!.

I've replaced all my long LAN cables over the house as this speed is perfectly OK -- I have 2 NAS boxes with no wi-fi but use a small piece of lan cable to connect to "Ethernet-->wifi" bridge router operating on 5GHZ band. The NAS boxes think they are on LAN but are actually on 5GHZ band. Moved all these from living area to hidden well out of the way. 5GHZ band is fine for fast wi-fi. !!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 24, 2016
  5. samIOW Win User
    Firstly Thanks for you reply Jimbo... As far as I know that it does operate both 2.4 and 5 GHZ at the same time, ( That is why they tell you to rename the 5ghz one so that you can see the difference)

I personally thought that windows should see all networks within range even though it couldn't connect to it they still should be able to see them.

My Samsung does see the 5GHZ network and is able to connect as does my sky box. ??

Thanks,

Sam

samIOW, May 24, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I think you've answered your own question here.
    If the Wifi card can't handle the 5GHZ signal it won't see it -- this isn't a Windows problem - it seems it's your computer hardware. The Wifi card is actually a simple Radio receiver plus transmitter.

The easiest way of putting it is for example to imagine you have an FM radio (88.7 - 108 Mhz) but there's a test station operating on 120 MHZ -- your radio wouldn't even be aware of its existence.

The Samsung phone shows your 5GHZ signal is working correctly. You will either have to get a USB 5GHZ wifi dongle or put up with the 2.4 GHZ band when using the computer -- that's the way it is -- hardware isn't compatible with 5GHZ wifi.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 24, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Your hardware (network adapter) has to support dual band. I'm betting the WiFi network adapter in your computer is only a single band network adapter and, therefore, not physically capable of receiving the 5 GHZ band.

NavyLCDR, May 24, 2016
  8. Failing to see 5GHZ SSID wifi network

Others are probably correct - you're card doesn't support 5G
    You might need a driver update - can't tell because your system specs are slim.
    What is the exact model? Sony Vaio what?
    If not a driver, your model # will tell members IF the card supports 5G

Slartybart, May 24, 2016
  9. Plus 5 ghz is typically faster because most devices are not dual band and they have to share bandwidth. Also 5 ghz doesn't handle walls as well as 2.5 ghz. If you have walls in between the router and PC that could be an issue also.

orlbuckeye, May 24, 2016
  10. samIOW Win User
    Thanks for your reply,

Here is a link to my model of sony vaio

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/con...VPCEB4J0E/list

samIOW, May 24, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    This:
    would lead me to conclude that the laptop only has a single band WiFi adapter. Is there a specific model WiFi adapter listed under Network Adapters in Device Manager?

NavyLCDR, May 24, 2016
  12. Thanks, that made it easy *Wink ... sort of

The only hard info came form the manual
    Page 134: User Guide: VPCE Series (PDF)
    Sooo, if you have a select model, you should see the 5G setting in VAIO Smart Network

If VAIO Smart Network did not carry over to Win10, you'll have to poke around in the network adapter configuration - might be under Radios

Slartybart, May 24, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, May 24, 2016
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

for 5GHZ band adapter has to support ac protocol.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 25, 2016
  15. bro67 Win User
    Most likely your adapter is not 5 ghz capable. netsh wlan show all in a Command window will show you what your adapter is capable of. It should show 2.4/5 ghz if it is capable of it.

bro67, May 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Failing to see 5GHZ SSID wifi network - Similar Threads - Failing 5GHZ SSID

2. Home wifi ssid does not appear in discovered networks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Home wifi ssid does not appear in discovered networks: Recently win10 cannot find my home network SSID although it shows 3 neighbouring networks. I have done all the trouble shooting I could find and even updated the driver from the manufacturer website ,but nothing worked. My desktop is the only device that cannot see the SSID....
  3. My laptop not connecting to 5GHz wifi network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My laptop not connecting to 5GHz wifi network: Since 1st day my laptop always showed every 5GHz network available & it couldn't connect to my home network but it connected easily with my phone's hotspot. Just yesterday evening for the first time my laptop got connected to my 5GHz home network so I was surprised and it was...
  4. Network Status "Enabled" replaced with WiFi SSID Name

Network Status "Enabled" replaced with WiFi SSID Name: [ATTACH] I added a new WiFi router with SSID "CC-AV-5G". After which, the hardwired connection when enabled now shows the SSID name instead of "Enabled". When the adapter is disabled, it does update to show a status of "Disabled". Even with the WiFi router turned off,...
  5. Wifi card can see but not connect to 5Ghz.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wifi card can see but not connect to 5Ghz.: Hopefully someone here can help me with this. So I have an Edimax EW-7822PIC adapter. I purchased shortly before Windows 10 launched. Used to connect to 2.4ghz and 5ghz no problems, but for about the past year or two it will no longer connect to 5ghz. or it does but then it...
  6. Windows 10 Cannot See 5GHz Network

Windows 10 Cannot See 5GHz Network: Since updating to windows 10 I haven't been able to see my 5Ghz network on my desktop PC. My smartphone and laptop can see and connect to the network at the same distance. I've looked around for solutions dating back to 2015 but haven't found a fix yet. When checking if my...
  7. WiFi 5Ghz

WiFi 5Ghz: Just connected to the NBN (Optus) and received a Sagecom L: [email protected] HP Modem.Router. No problems there but my Toshiba Qosmio Laptop will not pick up the 5ghz band only the 2.4Ghz...All my other devices pick up the 5Ghz. I ran a cmd prompt netsh wlan show drivers...
  8. Laptop won't connect to 5GHz wifi network

Laptop won't connect to 5GHz wifi network: We've got a NETGEAR extender and my laptop connects fine to the 2.4GHz network (BTHub5-Q5S5_2GEXT) but the 5GHz won't even show up. I know it works as my phone is always connected to it (BTHub5-Q5S5_5GEXT) so it's not the network that's the problem. I've reset the router many...
  9. Windows no longer sees 5GHz network

Windows no longer sees 5GHz network: My computer used to see the 5GHz network in my house and has been connected to 5GHz networks before, but at some point it stopped seeing it. All other devices in the house can see and connect to the 5GHz network. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers but to no...
  10. windows 10 cant see 5ghz network

windows 10 cant see 5ghz network: hello, i updated to windows 10 for 7 today, and everything works fine expt one thing.. the windows 10 cant see the 5ghz network and i dont know whay.. when i used the windows 7, its show me the 5ghz network, but not when im using the windows 10... however, i checked on...