Windows 10: failure setting wifi metered cost as admin

Discus and support failure setting wifi metered cost as admin in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all I'm logged as admin and configurations / network / data usage shows peanuts, only a link to "help", doesn't show my active wireless connection... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mescwb, Dec 7, 2019.

1. mescwb Win User

failure setting wifi metered cost as admin

Hi all I'm logged as admin and configurations / network / data usage shows peanuts, only a link to "help", doesn't show my active wireless connection that's fine, I'm able to navigate with.

(portuguese version)

failure setting wifi metered cost as admin 2b0969f6-714b-470f-8efa-3109ad23ba93?upload=true.png

If I go to connection settings, it lets me turn it to limited but as I go back and forth again it shows it turned off.

Also tried NETSH wlan set profilepa mescwb cost=variable (or limited, and in na elevated prompt for sure) but it returns "failure" setting the profile cost :/

Tried logged on with both my admin user and built in admin user I enabled, same behavior...

Does anyone has seen this before? Appreciate any help

:)

mescwb, Dec 7, 2019

2. Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10  

I found that after selecting wifi it shows a list of available connections and under need to select advanced settings and the metered selection is located their. and is not as the above tutorial.

peter prewett, Dec 7, 2019
  3. Try3 Win User
    New Wifi default to metered

Chris,

Yes, it is a Registry entry. See the procedure in my post #74 in another TenForums thread. {in case it is of interest, my post #73 in that thread lists the steps I take to avoid all automatic Windows updates}

By making that change, every new WiFi network will, by default, be set as metered. You will still be able to change that back to non-metered for a specific WiFi network in the normal manner.

Denis

Try3, Dec 7, 2019
  4. failure setting wifi metered cost as admin

Setting a WiFi connection to metered in Windows 10 / Non-Admin Account vs. Admin Acoount

Hi Robert_807.

the work around - which I posted with these batch files will set the WIFI connection to be metered - which isn't available via GUI at the moment.

• As you know the GUI doesn't give you the possibility to change it - it's the reason too - why you can't see it with the GUI - when the connection is metered via NETSH.
    • But you can see the METERED status with the netsh wlan show command (VARIABLE).
    • The way how an applications works in METERED mode, depends if the application is aware to support/change its behavior when a connection is set to be METERED.
    • Outlook 2016 supports METERED connections and changes it's behavior - like Outlook told you - that you are now connected with a METERED connection.
    As long as Microsoft hasn't implemented this feature in the GUI for users without admin rights - maybe this could be a workaround for users - to set a WIFI connection to be metered, without having admin rights.

Hope these details helps you to find a work around for your issue,

(Dipl. Ing. Markus Ehrl) | Sr. Support Escalation Engineer

MESO Products Unternehmensberatung / Consulting Services

CTS Support –Working Hours: Mon-Thu 14:00-23:00 / GMT; Fri 15:00-23:00 GMT

IM/EMAIL: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** Phone: +49 (89) 381 641 85

Captain MESO, Dec 7, 2019
Thema:

failure setting wifi metered cost as admin

1. failure setting wifi metered cost as admin - Similar Threads - failure setting wifi

2. Unable to set connection as "metered"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to set connection as "metered": Problem: I connect to a WiFi network, then I open connection settings and set the connection to metered. When I go back to connection settings, the metered connection toggle switch is in "off state". The problem isn't specific to a connection, I've tried on multiple...
  3. Can’t connect to WiFi due to “Change settings, such as making a connection metered”

Can’t connect to WiFi due to “Change settings, such as making a connection metered”: Hello. I am having issues with internet on my laptop. I reset all the wifi settings due to a previous error, but now all I see is to make the connection metered. It does not have a cellular option. None of my local internet isn’t showing up. How do I fix this?...
  4. New Wifi default to metered

New Wifi default to metered: In Windows 10, is there anyway to have any new wifi network (not a mobile network, but rather a friends house) added default to "metered connection". I know how to change a wifi to metered, but would like to have the default set to metered as soon as it's connected, to avoid...
  5. METERED WIFI

in Windows 10 Customization
    METERED WIFI: I mistakenly metered my WIFI and want to reverse it. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-wifi/a6a8f278-bf63-4af4-8edf-2679d54b77fe
  6. Metered wifi

in Windows 10 Customization
    Metered wifi: I cannot complete downloads because metered wifi is on, this I think needs to be changed and as far as I can make out I have to change form Administrator acc to user acc, but I can't find how to do that....
  7. Wifi signal meter in taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wifi signal meter in taskbar: Windows 10: wifi notification works in safe mode, does not in normal mode? I have exhausted my knowledge and I come to you for help. Running Windows 10 home on laptop. System specifics: Computer Profile Summary Computer Name: HP-15-NOTE (in PCDRNV) — PCDRNV Profile Date:...
  8. Unable to Set METERED CONNECTION

Unable to Set METERED CONNECTION: Hi, I am using Windows 10 Home insider preview Single Language, with 1803 version, OS Build is 17692.1004 It was updated to this Build on 09/07/2018. After this update I am unable to find an option. I use cellular data which is limited so I always used it as a metered...
  9. Metered wifi and bluetooth

Metered wifi and bluetooth: What is the connection between metered wifi and bluetooth. When my wifi is metered, I get message as shown in pic below. [img] 63186
  10. set metered connection is not activate

set metered connection is not activate: hi i am trying to active set metered connection in my setting , when i active it and leave setting and return it switched to OFF again i tried this way " netsh wlan set profileparameter name=dlink_DWR-932_6789 cost=fixed " and it shows " Profile "dlink_DWR-932_6789"...