Windows 10: Failure to activate Windows 10 (Upgrade from Windows 7) after hardware change.

Discus and support Failure to activate Windows 10 (Upgrade from Windows 7) after hardware change. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I bought Windows 7 Ultimate (retail from Amazon UK) on 22 March 2011 and took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro in 2015. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by K9387, Dec 10, 2018.

1. K9387 Win User

Failure to activate Windows 10 (Upgrade from Windows 7) after hardware change.

Hello,

I bought Windows 7 Ultimate (retail from Amazon UK) on 22 March 2011 and took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro in 2015.

I have reinstalled numerous times over the years, including a CPU/motherboard/SSD hardware change in 2016. Every time I have reinstalled using a Windows ISO downloaded copied to USB, typing in my Windows 7 key and then creating a user with my Microsoft account. It has worked perfectly every time.

I recently change my CPU/motherboard/memory/SSD again, but this time Windows will not activate and I get the following error:

"We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital licence or product key. If you think you do have a valid licence or key, elect Troubleshoot below. (0xc004c003)"

When going through 'Troubleshoot' and 'I recently changed hardware on this device' I get led to a screen that should list my previous device, but does not because I had previously deleted it (I had done this with previous installs, this is before I read about digital licences, etc).

I just tried phoning Microsoft Support, who went through the same process and failed. The then took my key, put me on hold for a few minutes, then told me to type (in an Admin PowerShell):

PS C:\Windows\system32> slmgr -upk
    PS C:\Windows\system32> slmgr -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (my Windows 7 key)

This then came back with:

"Error: 0xC004F050 The Software Licensing Service reported the product key is invalid"

The Microsoft Support agent then told me that there was nothing anybody at Microsoft could do and I should contact Amazon to request another Windows 7 key.

Despite my protests they just kept repeating this.

Now I haven't contact Amazon, but surely this isn't right.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

:)

K9387, Dec 10, 2018
  2. P4-630 Win User

DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 NOW - Upgrade and ISO direct from microsoft

Click to expand... Yeah I went to that site, why do I need to buy a key?
    I won't buy a key, stupid.

I'll revert back to windows 7 then.

When I still was on windows 7, about a year ago I added 4GB extra ram which is a total of 8GB now,
    is that causing the problem?

P4-630, Dec 10, 2018
  3. skippy258 Win User
    DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 NOW - Upgrade and ISO direct from microsoft

this search might help you https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sou...o+to+get+it+activated+windows+10+blocked+keys

From http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

If you upgraded to Windows 10 for free and ended up in a non-activated state, try following these steps:

• Go to Start
      Failure to activate Windows 10 (Upgrade from Windows 7) after hardware change. [​IMG]
      , then select Settings > Update & security > Activation.
    • Select Go to Store, and check to see if a valid license is available for your device. If a license isn't available, you'll need to buy Windows from the Store.

Note
      • This only applies if you haven't made changes to the hardware for your device.

or you could hack it with a crack but please note this is always risky and you don't know what's in the hack

skippy258, Dec 10, 2018
  4. cadaveca Win User

Windows 10 Hardware change

No. That only applies to an OEM key. IF you had a retail key that you upgraded, you are more than welcome to transfer this key to another device, just as you would have been able to before the upgrade. The default for retail keys is three activations before you need to call in and get help with activation. Previously, it was required that you install your retail OS first and then upgrade, but the most recent build of Win10 removes that requirement and allows direct installation of Windows10 using your retail Win7/8/8.1 key.

cadaveca, Dec 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Failure to activate Windows 10 (Upgrade from Windows 7) after hardware change. - Similar Threads - Failure activate Upgrade

2. Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change and upgraded from Windows 7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change and upgraded from Windows 7: Hi,I've recently changed the motherboard and CPU of my computer and I'm now being asked to reactivate my account error code 0xC004F211. The problem is that I upgraded from Windows 7 and don't have an activation key for Windows 10. I also didn't have a Microsoft account linked...
  3. Dreaded Windows 10 Activation Issues after hardware change after free upgrade from 7

Dreaded Windows 10 Activation Issues after hardware change after free upgrade from 7: Probably the millionth time someone has had this problem and its still a mess so here we go lol Title sums it up. My understanding was I had a digital activation key. I found the guides for this kind of reactivation and thought I did everything I was supposed to do but ran...
  4. failure to activate after hardware change

failure to activate after hardware change: I am moving from one laptap to a newer one. On the old one Win10 is activated and licensed and shows up on my microsoft account. I switch the drive to the new computer and all is fine except that when I try to activate and it tells me that I have had a hardware change, and...
  5. Windows 7 - upgrade to Window 10 - Hardware change

Windows 7 - upgrade to Window 10 - Hardware change: The Saga: Windows 7 upgraded to windows 10, activated! Then later motherboard brakes and new motherboard is bought and installed. Now its impossible to activate windows again. We know now that the key is bound with the motherboard in the computer. But not my problem or...
  6. windows 10 now not active after a hardware change my windows 10 was a upgrade from win 7

windows 10 now not active after a hardware change my windows 10 was a upgrade from win 7: how do I activate my win 10 it was active when my oldlaptop died it was a hp now my hard drive is in my old laptop and is running ok but now windows is not active can anyone help regards Angela...
  7. Intermittent BSOD after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, no hardware changes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intermittent BSOD after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, no hardware changes: Hey everybody, hoping to see if anyone can help me out here. I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 just a month ago and since then I've been getting and intermittent BSOD with the stopcode CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED every time it happens. It doesn't seem to be related to...
  8. Win10 Activation Failure After Hardware Change

Win10 Activation Failure After Hardware Change: At the start of the new year I upgraded my PC. At that time I had to deal with other activation issues, eventually solved by Microsoft support services generating a new product key for me. I thought that would solve things for good, and after my new motherboard suddenly...
  9. Windows 10 Activation Failure after hardware change

Windows 10 Activation Failure after hardware change: Hello I replaced my motherboard and CPU from intel to AMD if that makes a difference and upon booting up my Windows is inactivated. I previously had Windows 10 that was upgraded from a Windows 7 dvd and I had already gotten the digital license. I am signed in with the same...
  10. Upgrading from 7 and hardware change

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrading from 7 and hardware change: Hi experts, Please give me some advice on the best upgrade path for my system Currently running win7 on an AMD CPU/Gigabyte motherboard. I have Win7 installed on an SSD which is of course the boot device, and my user profiles are mapped to a second HDD where most of my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 7 to windows 10 upgrade activation

2. changed hardware and upgraded windows 7 to windows 10

3. activate windows 10 after hardware upgrade windows 7