Windows 10: Failure to add an audio device in the Add Hardware Wizard

Discus and support Failure to add an audio device in the Add Hardware Wizard in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; An update caused the loss of my speakers' device. Not only does my computer say there is no speaker installed, the Device Manager does not list it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by edmoore2, Nov 10, 2022.

1. edmoore2 Win User

Failure to add an audio device in the Add Hardware Wizard

An update caused the loss of my speakers' device. Not only does my computer say there is no speaker installed, the Device Manager does not list it. Returning to a previous build did not restore the speakers.I tried to Add Legacy Hardware/Sound Driver using the Add Hardware Wizard, but it failed "because a function driver was not specified for this device instance". I have no idea what a "function driver" is nor how to specify it for a device. Can anyone provide some suggestions for me to try? Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

edmoore2, Nov 10, 2022

2. September 22 2016 windows 10 update is bad

Hi,

To fix the issue, we suggest that you run the Troubleshooting Wizard to troubleshoot hardware and devices. To do that, follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Start button, and select Control Panel.
    • Type troubleshooting in the search bar and click on
      Troubleshooting
    • Click on Hardware and Sound > Playing Audio.
    • Follow the steps from the wizard to run the troubleshooter.

If the issue persists, uninstall the audio drivers, then follow these steps:

• Right-click on the name of your PC at the top of the list of devices in Device Manager.
    • Select Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the device driver, or download and install the latest version from the manufacturer’s website.

Let us know how it goes.

Aileen Alf, Nov 10, 2022
  3. No Audio Output Device is installed

You can also try this possible solution to your Issue

Fix "No Audio Output Device Is Installed" Error with Device Mannager

Device Manager is another troubleshooter which could help to fix many common computer issues, including "no audio output device is installed" error on Windows 10.

Step 1. Open the search box, type devmgmt.mcs in the Run dialog to open Device Manager.

Step 2. Scroll down to find the catagory "Sound, video and game controllers", expand it to locate your audio device and select it.

Note: If you can not see the "Sound, video and game controllers" catagory, follow the steps below to find it.

• Select "Action" on the top of the panel. (If there is no "Action" tab, click on the blank place and then click on "Action")

• Select "Add Legacy hardware".

Click Next on the popping up Add Hardware Wizard window.

• Choose "Search for and install hardware automatically" and then hit "Next". (If the Wizard message reads "the wizard did not find any new hardware on your computer", click Next)

Scroll down to locate the "Sound, video and game controllers" option.

• Select it and then click Next.

• Choose your exact sound card and then click Next.

Click Next to install the audio driver and then click Finish.

Step 3. Right-click on the audio device. Select Enable.

Step 4. Now check whether the audio issue is solved. If persists, choose Uninstall to remove the audio driver.

Step 5. Reboot your computer to save the changes and Windows will load you the audio driver automatically.

Source:

https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-no-...

Wilfredo_Soto, Nov 10, 2022
  4. Failure to add an audio device in the Add Hardware Wizard

Audio Issue - no audio output device installed message

Hi Sree,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I’ll certainly help you with this.

This issue may occur due to outdated audio drivers. Let's try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run the Troubleshoot Hardware and Devices. It
    reviews, diagnose and identifies operational or technical problems within a hardware device.

• Press Windows Key +R, type
      Control Panel
    • Type
      troubleshooting
      in the search bar, click on troubleshooting.
    • Click on
      Hardware and Devices.
    • Follow the steps from the wizard to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2: Uninstall and re-install the audio drivers.

• Press Windows key + X and click on Device Manager.
    • Expand Sound, video and game controllers.
    • Right click on the audio device and Uninstall.
    • Restart the computer to reinstall the drivers.

Hope this helps you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Nov 10, 2022
Thema:

Failure to add an audio device in the Add Hardware Wizard

1. Failure to add an audio device in the Add Hardware Wizard - Similar Threads - Failure add audio

2. add audio device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    add audio device: I cannot find my audio device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-audio-device/07098ace-29de-4509-8dfe-042af0300395
  3. add audio device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    add audio device: I cannot find my audio device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-audio-device/07098ace-29de-4509-8dfe-042af0300395
  4. Failure to add an audio device in the Add Hardware Wizard

Failure to add an audio device in the Add Hardware Wizard: An update caused the loss of my speakers' device. Not only does my computer say there is no speaker installed, the Device Manager does not list it. Returning to a previous build did not restore the speakers.I tried to Add Legacy Hardware/Sound Driver using the Add Hardware...
  5. Add a device

Add a device: Hello, does anyone know why I keep getting a notification to "Add a device" from unknown people? Like this one in my screenshot: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-a-device/9b354173-9fd6-4839-9352-9667bd3e8254
  6. add device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    add device: I have been trying to add wireless printers on same net as computer as well as a MicrosoftDiplayAdapter to two different computers with windows 10, neither as bluetooth or miracast. The wireless printers indicated wireless on but not discovered by add device or connect by...
  7. Can't add legacy hardware in device manager

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't add legacy hardware in device manager: For context, I am having issues with audio drivers on a laptop, nothing shows up in sound devices at all, I already tried to install/update the audio drivers (both the generic Windows one and Realtek's) to no avail. Some guides said to add legacy hardware on the device...
  8. Add bluetooth device wizard keeps crashing

Add bluetooth device wizard keeps crashing: Hello I am currently using Windows version: Windows 10Ver1903 64-bit build 18362.535 I have had an issue of late, every since I updated to windows 1903, where the bluetooth wizard using Windows Shell Experience Host Keeps crashing after displaying the device list for about...
  9. Add Hardware LGP for device that is not currently listed?

Add Hardware LGP for device that is not currently listed?: Hi All, Since Microsoft and the leading tape technology vendors have decided that a desktop system doesn't need tape connectivity, they've stopped providing the normal group policy for tape hardware for "Backup Operators" resulting in ONLY allowing Administrator to access...
  10. add device!!

add device!!: hello again..... ive been trying to add my t580 samsung tablet to my laptop to no avail...ive been sitting here for 3 hours waiting and nothing has happened....help, many thanks charlotte mueller...