Windows 10: Failure to boot from USB made with Microsoft

Discus and support Failure to boot from USB made with Microsoft in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Looking for some help. Dell Inspiron 20 - 3048 All In One Windows 10 Initial issue: Computer stuck in "Automatic Repair" loop while attempting to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jimbobski2, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Failure to boot from USB made with Microsoft

Looking for some help.

Dell Inspiron 20 - 3048 All In One

Windows 10

Initial issue: Computer stuck in "Automatic Repair" loop while attempting to boot.

Went into the Boot Menu via F12

Ran Diagnostics: Result: Error 2000-0142 "Hard Drive 0 - DST Short Test** Fail

Did some research, this led me to create on another laptop a USB drive to boot the system to continue troubleshooting. I downloaded and used the MS Media Creator tool located at:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

This has not been successful.

I attempted different BIOS settings to get USB drive to boot system,

Settings include:

Default - USB drive is listed as a UEFI option. Computer gets stuck on screen with two white arches in lower corners, a simple blue windows logo centered, and circling dots lower center.

Then changed to settings found online:

Disable Secure Boot

Enable Legacy Boot

This shows USB drive as a legacy option - still no boot. Screen gets stuck on black screen.

At this point, I have ordered a replacement SSD drive.

My questions:

Any other BIOS settings to get boot drive to be successful?

Once I install the new SSD, will the USB boot drive be the way to attempt to boot the computer?

Can I assume that I will not need to purchase Windows 10? ie.... is the license still on the motherboard?

I'd be happy to provide any info to assist.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Jim

:)

Jimbobski2, Jan 10, 2021
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

USB boot for bios update

Did the first step. It already doesn't work. Note the capacities and drive letters M:/N: The HP utility is about to format my raid-1 volume containing my 2 750gb drives. It thinks it's the usb stick. I can not select any other drives in the HP utility. My 512mb usb stick is U:.

Any other suggestions?

Failure to boot from USB made with Microsoft nonono-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, Jan 10, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, Failure to boot from USB made with Microsoft :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Jan 10, 2021
  4. D-rock Win User

Failure to boot from USB made with Microsoft

Help with USB Boot Image

I am trying to boot from my USB flash drive. I followed the instructions step for step that are in the article on this website. I downloaded the HP program and the USB Image zip file. I ran the HP flash program and pointed it to the folder where I unzipped the USB Image files to. I then copied all the files over to the USB memory stick as instructed. When I restart my computer and press F12 to go to the boot menu I have 3 options: SATA hard drive, CD-ROM drive, or USB Device. So I choose USB device and when it reads the USB memory stick all I get is the error "Non-system disk, replace and hit any key" Its like the USB memory is missing some system files or it doesnt have the master boot record or something. Somebody please HELP!!! I want to flash the bios in a new video card and I have to boot to DOS and I dont have a floppy drive and I have Win XP so a USB boot is probably the best option I have.

D-rock, Jan 10, 2021
Thema:

Failure to boot from USB made with Microsoft

1. Failure to boot from USB made with Microsoft - Similar Threads - Failure boot USB

2. Boot from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot from USB: Hi All, I was flowing a thread from DaveM121 in regards to booting from USB, every step worked until I got to a certain point, does anyone know how I can contact DaveM121 for help? The thread was excatly what I needed help with so I’m sure he will be able to supoort me...
  3. Booting From USB

Booting From USB: Hi there, i have a Lenovo Ideapad that i need to factory reset. I don't want any of the files or personal things that are on there, i try to reset and i don't have enough free storage to reset. Apparently i need an extra 3.32GB to reset. Anyway i was told to reinstall windows...
  4. USB boot failure after long series of startup failures

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    USB boot failure after long series of startup failures: I have a Surface Laptop3 bought in March 2020. Yesterday it failed to start and i went through all the usual steps including a failed Reset. Multiple automatic repair failures and a log message about a partition table error 0x490. The second of two Microsoft Windows...
  5. No boot from USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No boot from USB: W10 boots normally, but the ability to boot from USB has quit, returning "Not Found" failures in the UEFI. I noticed this yesterday, soon after installing Intel graphics update, and removal of 2 Linux GRUB entries ( debian and ubuntu folders) from the EFI. Will a "Sys...
  6. No boot from USB

in Windows 10 Support
    No boot from USB: W10 boots normally, but the ability to boot from USB has quit, returning "Not Found" failures in the UEFI. I noticed this yesterday, soon after installing Intel graphics update, and removal of 2 Linux GRUB entries ( debian and ubuntu folders) from the EFI. Will a "Sys...
  7. Boot from USB

Boot from USB: Hello. I am attempting to fix my computer as I am sure it has a virus. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit on an ASRock B450 Steel Legend motherboard. My PC won't load into the OS and the Windows 10 repair tool can't fix the issue, which leaves me in a loop of inability to...
  8. Boot From USB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot From USB: If I boot Windows 10 from a USB on my Windows 10 pc, will the computer know/log the fact that I booted from USB? submitted by /u/TwoDots18 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/euqiy9/boot_from_usb/
  9. USB made with MCT does not boot!

USB made with MCT does not boot!: Admittedly, since it's been around 2 years since I tried to boot a PC using the USB media made from the MCT, but unless my memory is faulty, I recall being able to boot from it. I tried to boot my crashed HP laptop using a new USB and it would not boot. I tried three...
  10. Booting from USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting from USB: I had never had my computer set to boot from USB but I created a bootable flash drive with Win 10 on it and wanted to try it. I set the BIOS boot options to try the CD drive first, then USB, and then the Hard drive. It booted fine but I have a question now. If I have a...