Windows 10: Failure to boot up correctly after change of ram

Discus and support Failure to boot up correctly after change of ram in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I upgraded my RAM from 6Gb to 16Gb on Friday. I thought that the process would have been straightforward. I took out the old 3 x 2 Gb memory sticks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TonyG1105, Nov 12, 2018.

1. TonyG1105 Win User

Failure to boot up correctly after change of ram

I upgraded my RAM from 6Gb to 16Gb on Friday. I thought that the process would have been straightforward. I took out the old 3 x 2 Gb memory sticks and inserted 2 x 8 Gb sticks in slots 1 and 2. Computer booted normally and worked OK. However, on Sunday when I switched on, I was locked out with a black screen and spinning dots. After a lot of trial and error based on various suggestions found on the web, I heard something on the headphones. It was "Narrator". I was unable to get any further at that stage. As one forumite said that Windows was running in the background but there was just no graphics. I had an error saying that boot had failed due to Overclocking. After looking online in various forums and Youtube clips I have done the following not necessarily in this order:-

Was able to reach the sign-in menu, but when I entered my password the screen went to blank again, only showing the cursor.

However, was able to open Task Manager eventually and make some alterations using "devmgmt.msc".

Disabled the onboard Intel graphics card.

Disabled the Geforce Nvidia 1060 Gb GPU. (Not at the same time)

Entered "regedit" to check that "explorer.exe" was correctly entered in "Shell".

Changed BIOS settings in various ways, but eventually;

Cleared the CMOS by shorting out the two prongs on the Mobo and rebooting to BIOS inserting "Load Optimised Defaults".

Played around with the Task Manager functions and was able to get into "Event viewer". Pure fluke allowed me to reach Chrome which is how I am asking the question on the affected computer.

Event viewer shows a "Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC0000411." Source "Kernel boot". I think that this was the first time that I encountered the problem.

I may have tried other tasks in addition to the above.

My system is as follows:-

Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Ver 1.0 motherboard (should be good for 32 Gb RAM)

Palit Geforce Nvidia GTX 1060 6Gb GPU.

Intel i5-2500K @ 3.30 GHz

Kingston SV300537A240G SSD (Op system)

ST500DM002-1BC142 HDD (Other programmes)

650 Watt Power Unit

Hitachi 2 x 8Gb DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz 240 DIMM upgraded from

Kingston Hyper X KHX1600C9D3X2K2/4GX 4GB (2GB 256M x 64-Bit x 2 pcs.) DDR3-1600 CL9 240-Pin DIMM Kit 667MHz fCK for 1333Mb/sec/pin

And 1 x Hyperteck "GB DIMM (PC3-12800) (No other markings but 800MHz so far as I remember).

I can see that perhaps the "overclocking" has occurred due to the old sticks being 1333 and the new 1600.

I hope that I have given enough information for someone to be able to help me out.

Regards

Tony

:)

TonyG1105, Nov 12, 2018
  2. gkhokie Win User

Kernel security check failure after ram upgrade

I just experienced the same problem with a Sony Vaio running Win10. I replaced the 4Gb of RAM with 8Gb of RAM. The RAM is matched to the MB. On boot Windows starts initially and then defaults to error screen with Kernel Security Check Failure. Setup correctly
    identifies the 8Gb of RAM. This must be a Microsoft security feature to prevent motherboard upgrades. Any suggestions short of re-installing Windows?

I replaced my Win10 hard drive with my old Win7 hard drive and everything boots up successfully. This would confirm that the problem is with Windows 10 and not the new RAM.

gkhokie, Nov 12, 2018
  3. Issues with total memory size of dedicated available RAM

Hello Gevorg,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community an we regret for the inconvenience.

From the description provided, I understand that the motherboard you are using has 4 DIMM slots which supports up to 8 GB of dedicated RAM.

To be able to understand the issue better. let us know how are you viewing the total memory size of dedicated available RAM in your PC.

Now, in one case, if you are using more than one module of RAM, and the frequencies at which they operate are not the same. There will be two outcomes:

• The modules will conflict in terms of DIMM frequencies and it will declare memory failure.
    • Instead of downclocking one or more RAM/s, the motherboard will reject the ones from being accepted.

In order to ascertain if the hardware is correctly configured, I suggest you to check the system information in the BIOS settings. Refer to the manufacturer provided manual to know more about on how to access the BIOS settings.

In another scenario, your computer may also be allocating part of your RAM to other hardware modules, such as your network hardware.

As a secondary workout, I suggest you to increase the Virtual Memory and check if it helps. Follow the steps below.

• Click Windows key + R to open the RUN command utility and type
      msconfig.exe, then press ENTER.

• Click on Boot option and select advanced options.

• Check the maximum memory box and change the value accordingly.

• Click on Apply and Ok to save changes and click Restart the computer.

Hope the above information is helpful.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Nov 12, 2018
  4. gygabite Win User

Changing boot hdd

I downloaded PartitionMagic8.0, but the partition i want to make is not bootable.
    So the system boots from the old, loud hdd, and when i unplug the old, it doesnt boot.
    Any advice or suggestions how to change boot hdd without reinstalling Winxp?

gygabite, Nov 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Failure to boot up correctly after change of ram - Similar Threads - Failure boot correctly

2. Cant boot up windows correctly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant boot up windows correctly.: Im wondering on what’s going on with my pc so one day I was playing a game and randomly my pc shuts off and so I turned back on and saw my cpu was overheating but figured out my cable was unplugged for one of my fans so that fixed that but when I turned it off then back on it...
  3. PC boot up failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC boot up failure: Actually i was resetting my windows 10 pro through the Reset this PC in recovery setting and as my PC was getting a reset, suddenly a power outage took place. Hoping that nothing would have got wrong i started my PC but dang... My PC now just keep on restarting it continously...
  4. PC boot up failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC boot up failure: Actually i was resetting my windows 10 pro through the Reset this PC in recovery setting and as my PC was getting a reset, suddenly a power outage took place. Hoping that nothing would have got wrong i started my PC but dang... My PC now just keep on restarting it continously...
  5. PC boot up failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Boot up failure

Boot up failure: Good morning, its been a while since I had a problem, helped by the forum volunteers. Today, our HP Envy suddenly froze and would not respond to anything. I performed an emergency power off, waited 30 seconds and powered on. Nothing although the monitor flickered briefly. I...
  7. BIOS showing a RAM change on boot despite no RAM change

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BIOS showing a RAM change on boot despite no RAM change: submitted by /u/CarryTheBoat [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ksl6e9/bios_showing_a_ram_change_on_boot_despite_no_ram/
  8. Intermitent Boot Up Failure

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermitent Boot Up Failure: I have intermittent boot up failures happening. Each time I fix it, it is a matter of days and then it happens again. This time all it took to "fix" it was changing the boot order in my BIOS settings. I'm very confused by what's happening. It's Windows 10, 1909 OS build...
  9. Boot up failure

Boot up failure: Hi, My laptop won't boot up, I did an update yesterday, it got interrupted when updating as the battery died, after that I accidently selected to undo the update, and that's when it started going funny. My sister turned it off after a few hours, and it's still continuing...
  10. Activation failure after hardware changes. (cpu mobo ram)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation failure after hardware changes. (cpu mobo ram): Hello, I recently updated my hardware and I am now being asked to activate Windows. I do not have the product key from when I originally bought windows and the troubleshoot only recognises my MSI mobo (old one) not the Aorus (new one). However, my email address is linked...