Windows 10: Failure to Boot Windows 10 with external USB HDD connected

Discus and support Failure to Boot Windows 10 with external USB HDD connected in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This is being posted as an additional answer for a problem that a closed thread helped me solve:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Richard Grodecki, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Failure to Boot Windows 10 with external USB HDD connected

This is being posted as an additional answer for a problem that a closed thread helped me solve: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-boot-windows-10-with-external-hard-drive/bebed3d3-eddd-4132-b7bd-d5335945e981

I was having this issue with my laptop, where if the External USB drive 2tb Adata USB3, 1 NTFS partition was connected on boot, I would get the familiar 'failed to find operating system' greeting just after POST. Most times, when you have a USB drive connected on bootup and the computer fails to find the operating system, it is due to bios boot settings attempting to boot devices out of order, trying your USB device prior to your internal drive. I scoured the settings and this was not the case, but proceeded to disable all USB booting period as a troubleshooting step. Same result. I could start up my Windows 7 laptop with the same USB drive connected without issue with comparable bios settings fine, so it appears that it was not the BIOS doing the boot, but the Windows 10 Boot Loader attempting to start the incorrect drive. My system disk on this laptop is a single 1TBm-sata that was setup by windows 100mb system partition[ntfs], ~930GB C: drive[ntfs], 628mb Recovery Partition. Both system HDD and USB HDD are set to MBR, not GPT.

The fix I found was to remove the 'Active' bit that was set on the USB HDD. Since I wasn't booting or intending to boot from this disk on any of my systems, this was an acceptable fix.

Looking at the Boot configuration with BCDEdit, my entries refer to Boot Manager and Boot Loader as "\Device\HarddiskVolume1" and "partition=C:", respectively, instead of a unique ID like GPT would use. Does this mean that regardless of Bios boot order or boot settings of what devices to use, the Windows Boot Loader is victim to the order drives are recognized in the Bios period and thus the order windows assigns drive letters before it has a chance to read any registry settings later in the boot process? Is there a way with MBR to preciesly define the boot device in BCDEdit?

Hopefully this helps someone find the less sought after.

:)

Richard Grodecki, Mar 11, 2021

2. Boot from external USB HDD

Hello!

Any laptop should be able to Be booted from an external HDD.

You can check this back accessing your BIOS and then checking if the BIOS gives you an option to boot from USB.

If that option is listed, then you're good to go!

Zackary Vanosdol, Mar 11, 2021
  3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Mar 11, 2021
  4. xtalgrwr Win User

Failure to Boot Windows 10 with external USB HDD connected

External HDD/USB.

Hello.

I have an external HDD docking station connected to my PC thru USB.

Devine manager sees it. But Windows explorer does not.

Suggestions?

xtalgrwr, Mar 11, 2021
Thema:

Failure to Boot Windows 10 with external USB HDD connected

1. Failure to Boot Windows 10 with external USB HDD connected - Similar Threads - Failure Boot external

2. Windows 10 can't connect with external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 can't connect with external HDD: Hi, I have an issue on connecting the external HDD through USB. I've checked the HDD on other PC. It has no issue. But, when I'm trying to connect the HDD to the Laptop, it always reconnecting and at the end, the Laptop is not able to connect with the external HDD....
  3. External HDD/USB.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD/USB.: Hello. I have an external HDD docking station connected to my PC thru USB. Devine manager sees it. But Windows explorer does not. Suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hddusb/b0404c2e-056a-4c66-b461-1e5113dc9275
  4. external HDD will not boot

external HDD will not boot: I have 3- Seagate 8TB external HDD. I was the Windows disk cleaning to recover space. deleting temp files, unused files, etc. I have used this tool before and it is pretty straight forward. the disk cleaning finished I turned the computer off as I normally do. the next day...
  5. Windows 10 not booting. HDD or GPU failure?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 not booting. HDD or GPU failure?: So, I left a Call of duty warzone on overnight downloading and when I woke up the screen was red with white lines on it. I force shutdown the PC and turned on Windows and then the OEM logo came and there was a black screen No. Windows logo or spinning circles. And more...
  6. Boot hangs with usb HDD connected

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot hangs with usb HDD connected: I have a toshiba 3Tb usb hdd for backup. Like the title says the boot hangs if it's attached. I just changed machine and reinstalled windows, and it still happens. It hangs just after the blue Windows appear. It is marked INactive. The boot order in the bios is SSD...
  7. External USB connected HDD will not Eject due to being in use

External USB connected HDD will not Eject due to being in use: Having recently found this to be an issue I looked for an answer. All the answers I found involved assuming that there was an underlying issue with Windows or drivers. I had noticed that at times the device could be ejected and therefore was unlikely to be related to the...
  8. Windows 10 on external USB HDD

Windows 10 on external USB HDD: is it possible to put windows 10 on an external USB HDD? if so, how? if not, bummer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-on-external-usb-hdd/9c115056-c5dc-4836-b9c8-0b604f83159a
  9. Can't boot from USB while HDD is connected

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot from USB while HDD is connected: I'm trying to boot a non-working-windows laptop from an external HDD with bootable windows installation in order to access repair tools, and it is working fine as it is tested on a working machine. The boot order in BIOS is fine, the external HDD is set as the 1st priority...
  10. USB 3.0 External HDD connectivity issue

USB 3.0 External HDD connectivity issue: Hey guys, I have an issue specific to my USB 3.0 ports, and its interaction with my external HDD(E-HDD). Whenever I plug in my USB 3.0 capable E-HDD, the computer recognises the drive for a few seconds and then disconnects. This keeps happening while the the E-HDD is still...