Windows 10: Failure to complete a system restore, system repair and system RESET.

Discus and support Failure to complete a system restore, system repair and system RESET. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello everyone and thanks in advance for anyone that helps. I am really troubled as I have been googling the hell out of this and trying many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by easylifer, May 11, 2017.

1. easylifer Win User

Failure to complete a system restore, system repair and system RESET.

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for anyone that helps.
    I am really troubled as I have been googling the hell out of this and trying many solutions with none of them working.

1) My pc first entered a loop when I tried to remove mcafee with their official remover. After the required reboot it could not enter windows no matter how time passed so I had to power it off.

2) Because I didn't like powering it off in the middle of something asking me NOT to power it off, I tried to system restore to a restore point 1 day prior to the event.
    The system restore failed and gave me this error I believe 0x80070091
    Googling to solve the problem asked me to rename the hidder windowsapps folder which requires some tinkering to do so. I tried to change the ownership and although I followed all the steps I could not rename this folder.
    3) I then decided to try a system repair instead. It also failed and gave me this error C:\Windows\system32\logfile\srt\srttrail.txt.
    Googling suggested that i do a chdisk or something on command prompt which I decided to not do before I backup my things since in the past I got wiped.

4) I backed up my computer and decided to do a windows 10 system reset. There are supposedly 3 options. A) reset but keep your files, B) reset but keep nothing and C) factory reset.
    Not all PCs have factory reset and mine neither. I did option B and when asked about the sub option of making a full clean drive ( to protect you from getting your deleted items retrieved by others) I chose the simple delete(chose to keep nothing but with a simple delete).

5) The reset was complete but it mentioned that it could not delete all the files properly.

I tried a system repair just to see if my pc is "proper" now but the system repair failed again without giving any error..... I quit at that point...

:)

easylifer, May 11, 2017
  2. Mike_Keys Win User

Failure to restore system using a system restore point

i do not recommend the "PC repair tool" most of if will ask you to upgrade or pay for it. just follow the steps provided to fix the restore point like checking if the services is running correctly and checking the hard disk.

Mike_Keys, May 11, 2017
  3. Mike_Keys Win User
    Mike_Keys, May 11, 2017
  4. Failure to complete a system restore, system repair and system RESET.

indianacarnie, May 11, 2017
  5. easylifer Win User
    Hello and thank you for the welcome and the fast reply!
    1) I did two of your checks and they were both clean with no problems found. 2) I also did a chdisk check or how its called and it was also clean although It stated in the end that it "failed to transfer msg to the eventlog with status 50".

3) Also, I tried to do another windows 10 automatic repair to check if it would work after these scans we did but the option is no longer even there. Wtf?
    4) My pc is also seemingly a bit slow when I copy even a sentence to word and it can minifreeze for 2-3 seconds in youtube videos or browsing. Is my HDD messed up?

easylifer, May 11, 2017
  6. Well, if chdisk didn't find any bad sectors your disk SHOULD be ok. There's any number of free third party diagnostics if you want to try one of them. You could also try running chdisk again in an elevated command prompt. Use this "CHKDSK C: /R /F /V" without the quotation marks. if that doesn't work , have you considered a repair install? Or possibly even a clean installation?

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

indianacarnie, May 12, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would just wipe it all and do a clean install.

NavyLCDR, May 12, 2017
  8. easylifer Win User

Ok, you guys are right. I ll give it a clean install and from there if it keeps being slow we can see what is up.

I have a recovery partition. How do I make sure it will also be purged? I am afraid a virus has snuck there.

easylifer, May 12, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Boot from the Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD. On the very first screen where it asks for language, press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Run:

diskpart
    select disk 0
    clean
    exit
    exit

Then when you get to the choice, select the custom install option. Drive 0 should be nothing but unallocated space. Highlight the unallocated space and click next.

NavyLCDR, May 12, 2017
  10. easylifer Win User
    thank you. Is it any point to do a defragmentation before or after a fresh install? Or does the disk get defragged anyway during the isntall?

easylifer, May 12, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    There is no point in defragging a drive that you are just going to erase anyway. There will be some fragmentation after Windows is installed and all the updates are completed. Defragging is pretty much best left to the OS to do on it's own since Windows 7 or so. In my opinion some people like to do excessive defragging which is shortening the life of the drive more than it is improving performance.

NavyLCDR, May 12, 2017
  12. Agree 100% with NavyLCDR on this.

indianacarnie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Failure to complete a system restore, system repair and system RESET. - Similar Threads - Failure complete system

2. System Restore did not complete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore did not complete: error message says it could not access a file. Error 0x80070005. What is that and how do i fix it. Hopefully an automatic fix by Windows 10 itself? Thank You...
  3. Win10 System Restore Failure.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 System Restore Failure.: Hi,I'm trying to do a system restore from a system restore point on a failed boot from the Safe Boot Troubleshooting startup system.It runs for a while, finishes and then says it failed with error 0x80070780 and the message is saying the error is restoring...
  4. System restore is stuck on complete????

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore is stuck on complete????: So this is odd, I did a system restore, had to do it in safe mode to get this far but after several hours is says “ please wait while your windows files and settings are being restored System Restore is Complete.”… ‘is complete’ makes it sound like ‘please wait’ isn’t not...
  5. System Restore and SIR not completing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore and SIR not completing: At about install 9 with at least 3 including format. Some point after installing office SR fails with message of being unable to extract a file. SRI also fails. On more than one install I've tried doing the recovery boot to use SIR and it will not recognize my password. And...
  6. System Restore failure

System Restore failure: I recently purchased a new HP Notebook and have noticed that if i create a system restore point m#it is only available for about 24 hours and then disappears, I'm have increased the available space for restore points but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Having used the...
  7. can not complete system restore

can not complete system restore: error during directory restoration origin: AppxStaging destination: %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps unspecified error: (0x80070005) I tried several different restore points getting the same error Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.228]...
  8. System restore failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System restore failure: What should the boot mode be for windows 10 on the laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/system-restore-failure/1c7f2a9e-1735-4117-bc0c-572366c239b5
  9. System restore will not complete

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore will not complete: I screwed up and deleted my DNS cache. Now I'm trying to get it back. It's come down to using system restore which will not complete a restore because, it says, it is not finding a file that it needs. I had this problem once before and ended up just giving up on using system...
  10. System restore will not complete

in Windows 10 Support
    System restore will not complete: I screwed up and deleted my DNS cache. Now I'm trying to get it back. It's come down to using system restore which will not complete a restore because, it says, it is not finding a file that it needs. I had this problem once before and ended up just giving up on using system...