Windows 10: Failure to launch old game on W10

Discus and support Failure to launch old game on W10 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I recently bought a game I enjoyed playing many moons ago: Football Manager 2007. After installing it, I was unable to launch it. First, it said I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Thor-MartinStrand, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Failure to launch old game on W10

I recently bought a game I enjoyed playing many moons ago: Football Manager 2007. After installing it, I was unable to launch it.

First, it said I needed to log in with administrator privileges and try again - which was weird because I was already working as an admin.

After checking the "run in compatibility mode" box, this disappeared, and the computer wanted me to give the program permission to make changes, which I granted. Then... nothing.

When I try to launch the program, it asks for permission again, but nothing at all happens. It seems it doesn't launch at all. I can not understand why. I've updated every driver possible.

Searching the www, I found several people struggling with the exact same thing when trying to launch an old game.

One piece of information - I do not know if this is relevant - but I found it odd that when the system asks me if I want to grant the program permission, it says that the developer is unknown, not Sports Interactive..

Anyways, greatful for your help on this.

:)

Thor-MartinStrand, Jan 24, 2019

2. Failure to launch old game on W10

I recently bought a game I enjoyed playing many moons ago: Football Manager 2007. After installing it, I was unable to launch it.

First, it said I needed to log in with administrator privileges and try again - which was weird because I was already working as an admin.

After checking the "run in compatibility mode" box, this disappeared, and the computer wanted me to give the program permission to make changes, which I granted. Then... nothing.

When I try to launch the program, it asks for permission again, but nothing at all happens. It seems it doesn't launch at all. I can not understand why. I've updated every driver possible.

Searching the www, I found several people struggling with the exact same thing when trying to launch an old game.

One piece of information - I do not know if this is relevant - but I found it odd that when the system asks me if I want to grant the program permission, it says that the developer is unknown, not Sports Interactive..

Anyways, greatful for your help on this.

Thor-MartinStrand, Dec 16, 2019
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Failure to launch old game on W10

The game is fully compatible with Win10 as are the vast majority of games. Particularly from 2004 onward.

The ugly truth is MS have elected to prevent (or tried to) people from playing
    disc based games that use SafeDisk copy protection.

This affects hundreds of disc based games.

To make matters worse they didn't have the courtesy to also put an 'error' code into Win10 that informs people why the game

will not launch, and instead allow them to be mislead and run around in circles when they read the bogus 'run as administrator ' error.

- I have more details regarding DRM Blocking and a few other DRM issues in my post at

---this thread---

- To run this and any disc based game that uses SafeDisk you will need to use a noCD fix/hack -

/football-manager-2007

This method is far less troublesome than running a VM .

btw - DRM Blocking was introduced to Win7/8/8.1 via a 'security' update in 2015, so if they are kept up to date they also have this issue.

BossDweeb, Dec 16, 2019
  4. Failure to launch old game on W10

Launching games

Hi Wesley,

Windows 10 is gamer-friendly by design. If an issue like being unable to launch a game happens, it can be caused by outdated display driver or other factors that cause conflict when launching the app. For us to better assist you, we'd like to ask for additional
    information. Please answer the following:

• What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Are you getting an error message when launching the game?
    • Have you made any changes to the settings or installed updates prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • What specific games are you having issues with?

We will wait for your response.

Jennifer Cha, Dec 16, 2019
Thema:

Failure to launch old game on W10

1. Failure to launch old game on W10 - Similar Threads - Failure launch old

2. Old game won't launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old game won't launch: I'm trying to play Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone on Windows 10. I changed the compatibility mode to the recommended settings Windows XP Server Pack 3 and selected Run As Administrator, but it just says "Do you want to allow this application to make changes to your...
  3. Old game won't launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old game won't launch: I'm trying to play Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone on Windows 10. I changed the compatibility mode to the recommended settings Windows XP Server Pack 3 and selected Run As Administrator, but it just says "Do you want to allow this application to make changes to your...
  4. Old game installs but will not launch?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old game installs but will not launch?: I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 11 installed. I have an old game that I installed with a external disk drive, Aoe3. When I first installed it it installed perfectly fine and the game launched. In the meantime I ordered the expansions. Before they arrived my...
  5. Old game installs but will not launch?

Old game installs but will not launch?: I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 11 installed. I have an old game that I installed with a external disk drive, Aoe3. When I first installed it it installed perfectly fine and the game launched. In the meantime I ordered the expansions. Before they arrived my...
  6. BSOD and failure to launch games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD and failure to launch games: Hi All, I currently experience the BSOD. It occurs at totally random times, at least once a day. Sometimes while I am busy working on documents, other times while it is idle. The only other defect that I have is when I launch any game, the game freezes 15-20 seconds after it...
  7. BSOD and failure to launch games

BSOD and failure to launch games: Hi All, I currently experience the BSOD. It occurs at totally random times, at least once a day. Sometimes while I am busy working on documents, other times while it is idle. The only other defect that I have is when I launch any game, the game freezes 15-20 seconds after it...
  8. Launching failure

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Launching failure: Recently, when i turn my computer on.... A bleu screen with text below apear : you need to sign as an administrator to continue but therr aren't any administrator accounts on this pc And i find only the restart icon....so i can't even turn it on Help plz?? [IMG][IMG]...
  9. Failure launch MediaCreationTool1909

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failure launch MediaCreationTool1909: Short story: 1. Programs and devices started to fail. Tablet, Device Manager from search, Discord, Onedrive issues, Microsoft Store fails to launch as well. 2. Did a windows update, now have 1909 build 18363.693 2. Got "class not registered" message when trying to...
  10. W10 upgrade failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 upgrade failure: Installed all drivers under W7 Ran upgrade checks - and all backups. W10 upgraded proceeded, went to end reboot and presented Login screen Then found mouse & keyboard not working (in fact no USB at all) Found an old PS2 kyb that worked ... not easy finding your way...