Windows 10: Failure to Repair Windows Update Components

Discus and support Failure to Repair Windows Update Components in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've had issues trying to get windows to update to the 1803 service pack. After another round of the update installing and restarting my computer, only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ExistentialVindaloo, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Failure to Repair Windows Update Components

I've had issues trying to get windows to update to the 1803 service pack. After another round of the update installing and restarting my computer, only for it to hang on restart until it undoes the update, I decided to try and troubleshoot the problem to see if I could get it resolved.

Troubleshooting gave me an 'Potential Windows Updated Database Error detected' message, which led me to this guide and performing every possible fix up to and including the clean boot: https://blog.pcrisk.com/windows/13032-potential-windows-update-database-error-detected

After clean boot and troubleshooting again the error thankfully went away, only another took its place: 'Windows Update components must be repaired'. Which led me to this guide: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-update-components-must-be-repaired-error-on-windows-10, which provided more or less the exact same sequence of steps to try fixing the issue as the previous guide. As a final step however, it suggested I try to manually reset the windows update component to default using this guide: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/manually-reset-windows-update-components

My problem arises here, as one of the steps involves deleting the qmgr*.dat files, presumably to force Windows to reset these Windows update components. Only these qmgr files exist nowhere on my computer. Running "dir /s /a /b /p C:\qmgr*.dat" only returns "File Not Found".

As an addendum, since restarting my computer in 'clean boot' mode I'm getting a command prompt window flashing every couple of seconds (literally, I counted) trying to execute 'C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\sc.exe'. Attached is a screenshot of the command prompt, sorry for the poor quality but it really does only open for a fraction of a second. I think I've noticed this command window pop open and close on previous system restarts. But it usually only occurs once immediately on startup. I'm assuming this might have something to do with window updates and I'm hoping that resolving the issue I posted about will fix this one as well.

:)

ExistentialVindaloo, Oct 27, 2019

2. UPDATE COMPONENTS REPAIR

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Did you make any changes in prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting this error message " windows update components must be repaired" ?
    I would suggest you to follow the methods given below and check.

Method 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Refer:

Windows Update Troubleshooter

If issue still persists try method 2,

Method 2:

I would suggest you “Manually reset Windows Update components"
    from the below link:

Windows Update - Additional resources

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps
    carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in
    the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows.

Ashish Sondhi, Oct 27, 2019
  3. TC-man Win User
    Windows Update keeps failing!

Hi,

I had once a similar issue like yours, i.e. not able to update Windows 7. What I did to solve the problems is:

- go to control panel, then to "Troubleshouting" > "System and Security" > "Fix problems with Windows update" > click "Advanced" > choose "Apply repairs automatically".

And Windows will start detecting the issues and will repair "Windows update components". The problems should be fixed now, close the program, restart the PC, and see if the mentioned steps have fixed the problems you mentioned.

Hope it works for you.

Good luck!

TC-man, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Failure to Repair Windows Update Components

Repairing Windows XP can Break Windows Update

Microsoft/Windows Update Program Manager Nate Clinton has revealed that repairing a Windows XP installation using the Windows XP CD can potentially lead to users being unable to install updates when using the latest version of Windows Update. The problem, which does not appear to be widespread, occurs because the Windows XP CD replaces all system files, including those of Windows Update. Because the latest version of Windows Update uses a file which is not present on the Windows XP CD this causes a registry mismatch which can result in Windows Updates failing. So if you have recently run a repair install on Windows XP it is recommended that you either take a look at KB article 943144, check here for a workaround or contact Microsoft.

Source: Windows Vista Team Blog

Jimmy 2004, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Failure to Repair Windows Update Components

1. Failure to Repair Windows Update Components - Similar Threads - Failure Repair Update

2. the component store is repairable?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the component store is repairable?: Been having freezing issues with my computer for a while. Been trying to figure out how to resolve it.Trying to check the Window integrity with the DISM commands to resolve my issues but the commands aren't working.The first 2 commands...
  3. the component store is repairable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the component store is repairable?: Been having freezing issues with my computer for a while. Been trying to figure out how to resolve it.Trying to check the Window integrity with the DISM commands to resolve my issues but the commands aren't working.The first 2 commands...
  4. the component store is repairable?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. The component store is repairable

The component store is repairable: Hello, my computer has been going slow and crashing since the last update, and I've tried various methods to fix it repairing with media creation tool/windows 10 update assistant, troubleshoot, sfc /scannow, dism ,chkdsk but none seem to work. ScanHealth and CheckHealth...
  6. How do I repair Windows Update components?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I repair Windows Update components?: It also says, " One or more Windows Update components are configured incorrectly." My year-old Surface Pro does not have a DVD drive, nor did it come with a Win 10 OS disk with which to repair it. I need a tool to repair it from the net....
  7. Windows update components must be repaired

Windows update components must be repaired: Trouble shooter reports components need repairing, failing to tell how the repair is done. Are there files to be downloaded? to fix the non-working update components? Update Database appears to be corrupted - fix for that? Win 10 Home 32 bit Desktop is stuck on 1803, 1903...
  8. The component store is repairable?

The component store is repairable?: Hello I had ran DSIM ScanHealth, CheckHealth and CHKDSK and while no errors such as a corruption were noted I did see this result "The Component Store is Repairable" I don't know what this means is it a error? A corruption? Does RestoreHealth need to be ran? I've been...
  9. Update Error: Windows Updates components must be repaired

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update Error: Windows Updates components must be repaired: After running the update troubleshooter I get: Windows Updates components must be repaired. How do I fix this problem? Don Cole 118229
  10. Windows Updates components must be repaired

Windows Updates components must be repaired: After running the update troubleshooter I get: Windows Updates components must be repaired. How do I fix this problem? Don Cole 118229