Windows 10: Failure to restart the taskbar

Discus and support Failure to restart the taskbar in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; After major updates, or when I turn off the computer and then restart, the task bar will not activate. If I hover the mouse over the taskbar I get the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by briansullivan5, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Failure to restart the taskbar

After major updates, or when I turn off the computer and then restart, the task bar will not activate.

If I hover the mouse over the taskbar I get the new hourglass. If I then press the mouse buttons continuously, left then center then right then right then center then left over and over, eventually the task bar will activate.

Today I have been doing this for 20 minutes without any luck.

The Icons on my desk top will change during this process, sometimes with proper characters, sometimes with just a white generic character.

I have 2 windows 10 computers and this happens to both. The desktop takes the longest, the laptop usually gets running in a couple of minutes. Both computers are HP.

Help

Brian Sullivan

:)

briansullivan5, Feb 16, 2019

2. taskbar tranparency

Hi Dan,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. I will surely assist you with this.

I would suggest you to change the desktop themes and check if you are able to see the transparent taskbar.

If that doesn't help I would suggest you to end the explorer.exe and restart it and see if you are able to see the transparent taskbar.

Please follow the steps below to restart explorer.exe:

stop and start Explorer.exe

• Right click on the taskbar and select task manager.

• In the process Right click on windows explorer and end the task

• Restart the task by clicking on the file and select new task

• Type Explorer.exe and press enter.
    And see if it helps.

Do let us know the result. We will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Feb 16, 2019
  3. random restarts

Hi Lili,

Hardware failure or system instability can cause the computer to
    randomly restarts. As our initial troubleshooting step, we suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter on your computer and check if it fixes the issue. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type Troubleshoot.
    • Under Find and fix other problems look for
      Power.
    • Then Run the troubleshooter.

Update us with the outcome and if you need further assistance.

Marilou Ser, Feb 16, 2019
  4. Yaqub K Win User

Failure to restart the taskbar

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Feb 16, 2019
Thema:

Failure to restart the taskbar

1. Failure to restart the taskbar - Similar Threads - Failure restart taskbar

2. Taskbar is broken after restarting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Taskbar is broken after restarting: Ok, bear with me. Recently, I’m having issues with the task bar that wasn’t responding. Probably this issue occurred when i accidentally click the update driver to HP Firmware Pack AMD Processors from HP Support Assistant, and i click the cancel button abruptly while it’s...
  3. Computer restarting to due hardware failure

Computer restarting to due hardware failure: My computer keeps restarting randomly. it can go days without a restart but recently I got this error code from "reliability app" but I'm not sure where to look. I haven't changed any hardware and everything is a year or less old...
  4. Restart failure

Restart failure: It's been a month when I restart my Laptop it always brings me to the page of diagnosis. The new updates get lost during this process and I have stopped the window updater. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restart-failure/24f9b637-39c8-4eb2-b571-96b03e643477
  5. Failure of desktop and taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Failure of desktop and taskbar icons: Non of my desktop or taskbar icons respond to start up programs as the used to do. I have to left click on the white cross in the bottom left corner of the screen to open up a list, and then select the program as I want.Can anyone tell me how to correct this please....
  6. crashing taskbar and hanging on restarts

crashing taskbar and hanging on restarts: So I've been having this really weird problem lately. Often I want to use my PC, it boots up just fine, it logs in and then when it has logged in it only shows me a taskbar that seems to be constantly crashing. It doesn't show my background and it won't let me focus on any...
  7. BSOD Failure , Random Restart

BSOD Failure , Random Restart: Event Details: Keywords : 70368744177664,2 Event ID: 41 Task Category : 63 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-failure-random-restart/e838416d-790d-49a9-8d75-c27022e35b2c
  8. Windows 10 restart failures

Windows 10 restart failures: Hi, recently I've been unable to restart Windows. I get the spinning wheel that never ends. I end up having to shut off the computer using the power switch and turning it back on in order to get back into Windows. If I wait a while, sometimes I get a BSOD with the following...
  9. Taskbar failure and some apps failure

Taskbar failure and some apps failure: I bought an Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop in january 2019. Before now it has worked 99% fine. (I say 99% as the only issue experienced before was a Task Host Window, Task Host is preventing the laptop from shutting down. Where i have to click ‘shut down anyway’) The...
  10. Windows 10 Taskbar failure

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Taskbar failure: I upgraded from W 8.1 to W10 yesterday. Several features do not work. Right click on any items on the Taskbar does not function, with the exception of the Start key. Consequently I am unable to pin/unpin any item or view items previously pinned to Taskbar buttons. I cannot...