Windows 10: Failure to start Windows, failure to identify the SDD with my Windows on it

Discus and support Failure to start Windows, failure to identify the SDD with my Windows on it in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been using my computer for almost a year, and have failed to launch Windows for 3 times. I installed my Windows 10 Home edition on my m.2 SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Terence Chun-tingLai, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Failure to start Windows, failure to identify the SDD with my Windows on it

I have been using my computer for almost a year, and have failed to launch Windows for 3 times.

I installed my Windows 10 Home edition on my m.2 SSD and saved my data on HDD running on RAID 1.

For the 1st time of failing to launch Windows, the computer just recovered after a day while I did nothing.

For the 2nd and 3rd time, the situation is similar, the automatic repair of Windows failed as expected, it pointed to the BCD error, and when I ran the rebuildbcd command as most website recommended, no window installation could be detected. And when I ran the diskpart command, none of the partitions of my SSD could be shown. However, the SSD was till recognised in my Bios. I tried to use the software EaseUS Partition Master to create a WinPE to see if I could recover the partitions, strangely all of the partitions and data of my SSD were still present on the WinPE; I ran disk check with the WinPE and no error was returned. After much struggle, I decided to wipe out all the data on the SSD with the WinPE and clean install a new Windows.

The problem rose here. For the 2nd time I was able to install a new Windows back onto the SSD, but for this time it was still not recognised during installation, and I was forced to install it onto a partition of my HDD. After installation, I could not find the SSD either on Disk Management of Windows or EaseUS Partition Master; however, the SSD was still visible on my Bios or when reboot with EaseUS Partition Master WinPE; I could even run a surface test on the disk with the WinPE, which told me there was no bad sector.

I tried to insert the SSD to the other M.2 slot on my motherboard, but the result was the same.

So I am wondering if it is the problem of my SSD, my motherboard or other problem that I am unaware of? The condition is very weird as my computer was still running perfect the day before and all of the sudden it broke down completely. I have not installed any new software or messed with Bios setting.

Here is the specification of my computer:

Processor: Intel 6 cores 12 threads core i7-8700, 3.2GHx, 12M Cache, LGA 1151, 14nm

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS Gaming Z370, DDR4, LGA 1151

DRAM: Kingston HyperX Fury HXCFB2K2/16 DDR4 2666MHz 16Gb Kit (2x8Gb)

SSD: Intel SSD 760p M.2 2280 256Gb PCIe NVMe

HDD: Toshiba Enterprise 6TB SATA3 (128Mb, 7x24) x 2, running in RAID 1

Display card: EVGA NVidia RTX2080 Black edition

Windows 10 Home edition x64

:)

Terence Chun-tingLai, Jun 15, 2019

2. Windows 8 failure configuring updates and reverting

No, the license only applies to the Windows 8 OEM copy the original owner purchased with laptop, it doesn't magically transform into Windows 8.1 Retail one.

OK, so here's the commonly recommended steps that should help you with your problem.

Before you begin, I would recommend you to download both of these files and save them on your USB drive in order to use it later as the only source of third-party packages:
    1. The first step would be to recover the original Windows installation using your hard drive partition (the thing that you've done before, I believe). Follow the steps described here (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03544793#N258) and see if you missed anything. By the end of this operation, make so that your HP product is not connected to any sort of network.

2. Configure your HP device to boot in "clean" mode as described here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135). Restart once.

3. Run the first file you've downloaded (http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp67001-67500/sp67259.exe) from your just-recovered Windows copy and follow the steps required.

4. Run the AMD package (http://www2.ati.com/drivers/amd-catalyst-14.4-64bit-win8.1-win8-win7-whql-aug.exe). Choose the "Advanced" installation option in order to be able to opt-out the "AMD/Raprt App" and "HydraVision" packages.

5. Establish an Internet connection. Run "Windows Store" tile from your Start screen, and select "Windows 8.1" package.

6. Once you're done with your migration from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, you can install all the critical updates offered by Windows Update, which would be driver software, then Windows 8.1 Update package (KB2919442 > KB2919355 > KB2932046 > KB2959977 > KB2937592 > KB2938439 > KB2934018), "August" Update (KB2993651 > KB2975719 > KB2993100 > KB2979582 > KB2990532 > KB2995004) and .NET Framework 4.5.2 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642).

Constantine Yevseyev, Jun 15, 2019
  3. Mike-Th Win User
    Windows Update failure with error 0x80070002

Thanks Jessen,

I have tried all the steps suggested to no avail as I have been browsing all similar failures and tried the suggested solutions. The Windows Update service appears to work ok as all other updates are ok.

It may help if I someone could explain the meaning of the failure message.

When I tried the USB method it failed in a similar way suggesting that there was something wrong with the Windows Product Key. It may help that at sometime in the past the system was restored after a failure. On some forums I have seen comments that if the
    key is not perfect then the upgrade will not work.

Mike

Mike-Th, Jun 15, 2019
  4. Failure to start Windows, failure to identify the SDD with my Windows on it

Windows 8 failure configuring updates and reverting

I can't thank you enough. I appreciate the time you and others have spent on this. Hmm so my license for 8 would not work for the 8.1 download that I was directed to? I would have wasted time with that? I am still on XP and Win7 machines at the moment and can't stand 8 so I don't mess with 8 machines very often and thus am ignorant to most of it.. At this time I am doing what my previous post has stated and I am going to see if that works. So far it is working which is a shock to me. If it doesn't work out I am going to try your suggestions. I am very thankful for the time you put in helping me. I will report back and let you all know how this turns out.

BlackHawk1, Jun 15, 2019
Thema:

Failure to start Windows, failure to identify the SDD with my Windows on it

1. Failure to start Windows, failure to identify the SDD with my Windows on it - Similar Threads - Failure start failure

2. Failure to start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failure to start: My Acer 3995 fails to load windows. There is just a blue screen with various options. No matter which option is selected, a fault is reported and subsequently shuts down https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failure-to-start/72581575-8c1b-418e-886a-db09bb06cffa
  3. Failure to start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failure to start: My Acer 3995 fails to load windows. There is just a blue screen with various options. No matter which option is selected, a fault is reported and subsequently shuts down https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failure-to-start/72581575-8c1b-418e-886a-db09bb06cffa
  4. Failure to start

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 10 start-up failure

Windows 10 start-up failure: After downloading an update i restarted the pc to update however once it restarted it got stuck on start-up repair couldn't repair your pc. LOG file: C\Windows\System32\logfiles\Srt\Srttrail.txt I think the issue might be the fact that there was little allocated space left...
  6. Windows 10 Start up failure

Windows 10 Start up failure: I cannot start up my laptop without getting stuck. It goes to "Prospering Automatic Repair" to "Diagnosing Your PC" then into a blue screen titled "Automatic repair". I have tried restarting and it's always back to the same spot. So I click the other option "Advanced...
  7. windows service start failure

windows service start failure: I don't know how to fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-service-start-failure/fe81e1fc-29eb-4494-89d9-cc80f64ed67e
  8. Identifying a hard drive failure.

Identifying a hard drive failure.: I have had a series of performance issues over the last four months. I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running W10. It had stopped working and had to be restored using the Windows Media Creator. The issues continued afterwards and boot up began to be increasingly slow....
  9. Laptop starting failure

Laptop starting failure: When I change my default font style to Eras ITC the laptop is not starting up. It gets stuck on lock screen. What is the solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/laptop-starting-failure/82b191a6-e45e-44a8-9de5-b77962d73cc8
  10. Windows Failure to Start

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Failure to Start: My computer froze so I pressed the power button until it shut down. Now it will not load windows. Advance recovery options fail. Recover to a previous restore point fails. Reinstall windows from advanced fails. I finally made a windows 10 usb key to try and fix this...