Windows 10: Failure to upgrade to Build 1607 - what's left to try?

Discus and support Failure to upgrade to Build 1607 - what's left to try? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm running Win 10 Pro x64, Build 1511 on a Surface Pro 3. I've suffered the reported problem of the upgrade downloading files, starting to install,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JimmyW, Mar 12, 2017.

1. JimmyW Win User

Failure to upgrade to Build 1607 - what's left to try?

I'm running Win 10 Pro x64, Build 1511 on a Surface Pro 3. I've suffered the reported problem of the upgrade downloading files, starting to install, and then quitting and downloading the files again or failing to install. The process just loops. I think that I've tried most, if not all, of the suggested fixes. I've been through all of the suggested options available through MSCONFIG. I've tried updating without adding other MS products and with my AV disabled.. I also could not update by going through MS's site to upgrade Win 10. The installation fails. I've also been unable to update directly through the KB article and the offered MSI file. I've effected repairs with the update troubleshooter and have plenty of disk space. Sometimes, I get Error 0x800705b4 . Is there anything that I've missed? I really don't want to do a clean install of Windows, if that's what using the media creation tool will do. Thanks.

:)

JimmyW, Mar 12, 2017

2. Initial Log on

I've forgotten the log on or miss type my password on my new windows 10 laptop, does any one know how to reset it or get past it? I've only had it 3 days and can't remember the password or miss typed it (I set it up late the first night and have tried
    every miss typed version I can think of) and now I don't what to do.

To Tired to Remember, Mar 12, 2017
  3. to-know Win User
    Win 10 Pro : Cannot copy,delete or rename files with Acronis extension xxx.tib need permission , error code 0X80070057

Hello Ugo and thanks for your quick response.

Now I have fixed the problem and it have nothing to do with the latest Microsoft updates in March. !!

The main problem was that I have performed at the same time period an update for the Acronis true Image 2018 program. There is also a service called
    Active Protection and I had disabled it before. But after that update it was automatically activated !! That was very bad therefore I run in this problems. You have no rights to handle the files with the xxx.tib extension ( wrong parameter,
    0X80070057 and so on )

Chris

to-know, Mar 12, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

About the only thing you don't seem to have tried is downloading the .iso and using that to perform the upgrade. The Media Creation Tool has a 'create media for another PC' option. That can create the .iso or USB media. Make sure you use the 'options suggested for this PC'. In Windows, mount the .iso and run Setup from it.

The upgrade to 1607 has been troublesome for other Surface Pro 3 owners, but this one managed it (with a little help from the forum)...
    Anniversary Update Restoring back to Last version.

5. mrgeek Win User
    Bree has you on path that I would try next, an in-place upgrade install. From this Microsoft link -
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    Scroll down to "Looking to install Windows 10 on your PC?", then middle section, titled "Use the tool to create installation****". In step 5, put the ISO on your desktop (usb flash drive is only necessary if you want to clean install which you indicate you don't want to do or you'll lose files and programs), r-click "Mount" then run setup.exe from image that opens. What you will be doing is described in this tutorial -
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

mrgeek, Mar 12, 2017
  6. JimmyW Win User
    Thanks to you both! The in-place upgrade worked!

JimmyW, Mar 13, 2017
  7. mrgeek Win User
    Glad it worked for you ! I like to keep the iso on a flash drive as a backup so if I have to fix a computer that lost internet, it's on hand to use, as long as the device is signed on as admin.
    Please mark this topic solved, if you're happy, so Others with your issue can more easily find a solution.

mrgeek, Mar 13, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Great news!

Unlike mrgeek I prefer to get Media Creation Tool to make the USB install media, mainly because I like to have the combined 32/64 bit media (at around 8GB) in one convenient bootable package. The USB can be used for an in-place upgrade as easily as the .iso, just run Setup from within your existing Windows as you did for the .iso.

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Failure to upgrade to Build 1607 - what's left to try? - Similar Threads - Failure upgrade Build

2. what is this? but i am already running win 10 1607 build!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    what is this? but i am already running win 10 1607 build!: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ShinigamiOfPast [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kcb45a/what_is_this_but_i_am_already_running_win_10_1607/
  3. Windows 10 Build 1607

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Build 1607: Are there any updates to build 1607 which adds the color filters to ease of access https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-build-1607/93d81611-5803-4b18-b171-4d0537597536
  4. Build 18312 upgrade failure

Build 18312 upgrade failure: I was fighting with it for 5 days and no success. - It is downloaded/installed, - then goes to reboot, - "getting ready" doesn't finish to 100% (About 12-15%), - restart and I have regular boot with no installation/update process. When I open "Update center", I see:...
  5. Build 18298 upgrade failure

Build 18298 upgrade failure: Now I'm on the 18290 build. - Update center proceeds as usual (downloading, installing, etc) - Then it asks to restart. Doing it's preparation. Still as usual. - And next it reboots and I see the upgrade screen just for a second and it reboots again and "Undoing...
  6. Build 1607 Not Installing

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Build 1607 Not Installing: Hello, My little netbook is having trouble installing Build 1607. Currently I have Win10 Pro 32-bit, Build 10240. There was a recent update to that build, it installed fine, and now the only update that keeps coming up is Build 1607. Each time, it progresses to a certain...
  7. Cannot upgrade Windows 10 1607 build 14393.2007 to 1709

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot upgrade Windows 10 1607 build 14393.2007 to 1709: Hi, as the subject says, I cannot update Windows 10 to the latest version. Already tried DISM and sfc /scannow, no luck Also tried windows update troubleshooter, windows update reset, chkdsk /f, clean boot, windows update assistant etc. Any suggestions? I have attached...
  8. BSOD during update to build 1607

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD during update to build 1607: During installation i received a BSOD, first 2 restarts went fine, then another one at around 73% i think and BSOD something about system exception not handled. Scanned QR code, damn thing was of absolutely no help at all. Maybe you guys will be able to assist. *edit*...
  9. 1607 update failure

1607 update failure: Hi This is the scenario. Win10 Pro v1511. Updates had been deferred. Changed this setting last night. 1607 downloaded but install failed. No error code as far as I can see. It looks like Edge has now been screwed by this process. It will not load Google page completely....
  10. Unable to upgrade to latest Win 10 build from existing 1607 build.

Unable to upgrade to latest Win 10 build from existing 1607 build.: Can anyone give me any clues as to why the update to the latest Windows 10 build fails. My PC goes through the update route, downloads to image, prepares the image, installs the image to 100%, then fails and gives the message "Restoring your previous version of Windows". (no...