Windows 10: Fake memory on flash drives

Discus and support Fake memory on flash drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have recently bought a 32gb micro sd card from eBay and was wondering if there is some kind of check I can do to make sure it has correct memory on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by darkf0xx, Oct 18, 2015.

1. darkf0xx Win User

Fake memory on flash drives

I have recently bought a 32gb micro sd card from eBay and was wondering if there is some kind of check I can do to make sure it has correct memory on it, I have heard that some of the sd, hard drives and flash cards from eBay are being faked and what looks like a 500gb hard drive people find out later that its just a 1gb flash drive inside with some kind of modded files in it that makes it look like a 500gb drive, upon transferring files they just delete anything past 1gb. So is there a way to check?

:)

darkf0xx, Oct 18, 2015

2. Old Hard Drive Says "No Media" in Disk Management

Hi,

Failing or Fake drive:

"No Media" means the flash memory controller cannot communicate with the NAND flash memory on the drive. Because of this, it appears to the computer as an empty disk drive. This is usually caused by the NAND flash failing. To the computer, the drive is not
    much different than a floppy or optical drive with no disk inserted.

As a result, it is not possible to access any data on the drive, nor is it possible to repartition or reformat the drive. Again, from the standpoint of the computer, there is no medium in the drive to be formatted or repartitioned.

It is also possible that the drive is fake and the cheap memory chip in the drive has failed. Drives failing in this manner will often show up as a storage device with 8MB capacity.

USB flash drive not working or is appearing as an empty disk drive, Disk Management reports "No Media" with 0 bytes size

Smittychat., Oct 18, 2015
  3. Windows 10 suddenly Write Protecting USB Drives

How old is this USB stick? If you're sure you've ever successfully stored and
    retrieved
    (without corruption) more than 64MB of data from it (i.e. it's not a fake device programmed to display more than its actual capacity), then quite likely the flash storage or the controller has just failed. However given the really high number
    of reports of fake SanDisk drives exhibiting this issue, I would suspect that might well be the case here. There are lots of

fake flash drive testing programs
    available that you can use, and if they confirm the diagnosis then there's no point blaming the OS, is there?

RobertJWin, Oct 18, 2015
  4. Kanata Win User

Yeah - don't buy untested stuff off ebay.
    Otherwise you'll just need to format it and use it to see what's there.

Kanata, Oct 18, 2015
  5. darkf0xx Win User
    if you don't have any knowledge about the subject maybe you shouldn't attempt to "help".

darkf0xx, Oct 19, 2015
  6. derekimo Win User
  7. darkf0xx Win User
    darkf0xx, Oct 19, 2015
  8. derekimo Win User

You're welcome. *Smile

derekimo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Fake memory on flash drives - Similar Threads - Fake memory flash

2. Flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flash drive: How do you make it so when you plug in a flash drive it automatically displays a folder or file on your desktop, that is from the usb drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/flash-drive/999285e6-d24b-4ff5-ac56-0f6f5fdc56b7
  3. Flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Flash drive: How do you make it so when you plug in a flash drive it automatically displays a folder or file on your desktop, that is from the usb drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/flash-drive/999285e6-d24b-4ff5-ac56-0f6f5fdc56b7
  4. my flash memory is not working .

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my flash memory is not working .: dear Microsoft team or Windows team , good evening , i have a flash memory connected to my computer now . Windows had stopped it for some problem . no mention of this problem . please , i need to let Windows solve the problem and let my flash memory to work again ....
  5. Flash Drive

Flash Drive: I received the following message when I inserted my flash drive: "You need to format the disc in drive D: before you can use it." I used this thumb drive all day yesterday, have a ton of working documents on it. If I must format this disc will I lose all my work. I have...
  6. Fake Storage Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fake Storage Drives: [ATTACH] The local disks XYZ are not real disks but a duplicate of some folders from local disk C. How do i remove the local disks XYZ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fake-storage-drives/47c7ab6f-3117-4878-8f67-78d11bcbaaf6"
  7. Flash memory problem

Flash memory problem: The computer does not recognize the flash memory I changed several flashes and the same problem I made a format for the device and I downloaded Windows 10 new without any programs and the same problem list worked update for Windows and did not recognize the flash memory but...
  8. *Alert* Fake Cheap 2TB Flash Drives

*Alert* Fake Cheap 2TB Flash Drives: Don't even think of buying a 2TB flash drive for under $2,000. There are cheap fake 2TB thumb drives being offered on the internet with spoofed controllers. Watch theis video from Gamers Nexus and here what Steve Burke say's. Kix3JKn08OU Published on Feb 25, 2017...
  9. Unusual behavior - USB flash memory drive

Unusual behavior - USB flash memory drive: I have 2 Kingston 16GB flash memory sticks. One of them (along with 9 other USB flash memory sticks I have) get mounted as drive G: by Windows. The other Kinsgton drive gets mounted as I:. In the past, both Kingston devices acted just like all my other USB flash memory...
  10. Possibility to use Nearly all memory on a flash drive/ hard drive?

Possibility to use Nearly all memory on a flash drive/ hard drive?: now im a computer tec and i know that memory cards and hdd are sold as "base 10" like 1gb=1000mb to them instead of 1024mb but im revisiting this question because i was looking into this for some time now and there are some people claiming thats its possible to use more then...