Windows 10: Fall creator updated did something to my keyboard

Discus and support Fall creator updated did something to my keyboard in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Help i have now light for caps lock or num lock, once in windows, they do work but the lights are not functioning they did before fall creator updated,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Tonyb, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Tonyb Win User

Fall creator updated did something to my keyboard

Help i have now light for caps lock or num lock, once in windows, they do work but the lights are not functioning they did before fall creator updated, i uninstalled keyboard and even reinstalled it no go , i even got the latest steelseries drivers nothing works. It's a steelseries apex gaming keyboard, i can't tell know when caps lock is on or off, or when num lock is on or off. i can when i first boot outside windows in bios and on boot, all functions fine, its something with fall creator. Also i had a unknown device inside device manager i uninstalled it rebooted and it never reappeared so it must have fixed that, can anyone help with my keyboard issue ?????

:)

Tonyb, Oct 17, 2017
  2. Suat-70 Win User

Fall Creators Update - Touch keyboard problem

Unfortunately my problem is continuing. I even completely uninstalled Microsoft Office from my Surface 3 tablet and reinstalled it. But the problem is still continuing.

Before installing the Fall Creators Update I did not have any problem with the touch keyboard. I think Fall Creators Update has a bug which causes a touch keyboard problem with Microsoft Surface 3 when using Turkish Q keyboard.

Almost every month I am making a full Backup of my Surface 3 with Paragon. I restored the Backup volume I made before the Fall Creators Update. Turkish Q touch keyboard worked perfectly !

But switching back to an earlier backup of my Windows 10 will be a solution, I know, because the Fall Creators Update will install itself without asking my permission automatically.

Many Thanks for your kind assistance...

Suat-70, Oct 17, 2017
  3. I cannot update to the Fall Creators update

I had installed the Fall creators update, but I didn't all the update or soemthing went wrong I'm not sure. So I restored to the previous build (15063.674 v 1703), so I could re-update to the Fall Creators.

After I did that however, nothing worked! I even reset my Laptop (while keeping my personal files) and tried to search for the update from the Settings, and even tried to install the update though the Update Assistant.

I also used help from the Microsoft website and ran something with comand prompt (restore health or something) but nothing is working ! troubleshoot the windows update didn't work either.

I am concerned since I restored to the previous build i can no longer update to the Fall creators?

Thanks

Marie LizGrima, Oct 17, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

It's possible you may need to use an older driver for your keyboard.

Research what's available: if you can find one, try it. If that works, you would need to protect it from being updated.
    There's a tutorial on how to do that on how to hide Windows Updates in the Tutorial section which you're free to browse and search.

dalchina, Oct 17, 2017
  5. Tonyb Win User
    i will give that a t ry is so wired it did this after the update i guess not everything can be perfect.

Tonyb, Oct 17, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    It's a bit like the old days of XP where some derisorily termed it 'Windows eXPerimental' - yet now we still have key industries, police etc still using XP.

When you upgrade to a new build you get a new set of drivers. Some people in some circumstances find a driver doesn't quite work, whereas all was well with the old build.

My approach- after a new build is released, wait at least until the first big update is released before upgrading, having seen the pattern.

Or: create a disk image (so you can always revert regardless by restoring it - we continually and strenuously advise the routine use of disk imaging e.g. Macrium Reflect (free)- try the upgrade- if unsatisfactory- you can roll back, and worst case (e.g. unbootable) restore the image.

Always act defensively.

dalchina, Oct 17, 2017
  7. Tonyb Win User
    have to hunt down a old driver looks like steelseries don't have them on the website, and it seems to be using the new one i put on. may if i can't find one be something i have to deal with .

Tonyb, Oct 17, 2017
  8. Fall creator updated did something to my keyboard

I'm using a SteelSeries Apex with the Fall Update and none of my lock lights light up.

WastedJoker, Oct 18, 2017
  9. Tonyb Win User
    hi here is what steelseries had me do, this is quoted from them verbatim copied from my support thread and it worked for me but make sure you leave it in the usb ports you move too or it will be right back to same old issue.

Fall creator updated did something to my keyboard [​IMG]

Aaron NToday at 04:19

Tony,

Try doing a clean reinstall of both SSE and your device drivers using the following steps.

Please note that this will delete any saved configures within SSE, so please save them to the cloud.

1) Download and install CCleaner (it's free): Thanks for downloading CCleaner

2) Go to ‘Tools’ tab -> Uninstall
    Find the SteelSeries Engine and uninstall it.

3) Go to the ‘Registry’ tab on the left side -> scan for issues -> fix selected issues

Next, we will need to uninstall the existing driver( if there is one) completely.

1) Make sure your SteelSeries Engine is up to date. Install the latest version if you have not already. It's very important that the latest version of SteelSeries Engine is installed PRIOR to taking the next steps. Please find the latest version at: SteelSeries Engine Software - GameSense & Customization | SteelSeries

2) Using the search functionality in Windows, search for "Device Manager" - click and open it
    Note: If this does not work, search for "Control Panel" and navigate to Device Manager

3) Find the device in the device tree under 'human interface devices'

4) Right click and select "Properties"
    4a) If there is a second or multiple entries related to the device, you will need to repeat this process.

5) Click "Driver" on the top toolbar and select "Uninstall (Advanced)" at the bottom.

6) Ensure the checkbox is checked and uninstall the driver.

7) Once this is done, unplug the device and plug it into a different USB port to allow the driver to reinstall.

Let me know if the issue persists.

Regards,
    Aaron N

SteelSeries Support

Tonyb, Oct 18, 2017
  10. Aarav Win User
    Same here. creators update is a complete mess

Aarav, Oct 20, 2017
  11. same problem here with the steelseries apex and the fall creators update with the lights issue with the caps lock etc,yet another reason to consider switching to linux,come on microsoft does every update you bring break components,this is getting beyond a joke now lets hope they fix it very soon.

doghunter666, Oct 22, 2017
  12. same problem here

doghunter666, Oct 22, 2017
  13. Aarav Win User

I got mine working. sorry for the late post guys. what i did is i went to device manager > keyboard > uninstall this device > soon as you did this , turn off your PC > unplug your keyboard from the USB port (not sure about PS2) & plug it again (preferred different USB port). now turn your PC on. Windows should detect your keyboard now without any issues. let me know if this doesn't work

Aarav, Oct 24, 2017
  14. jhcarver Win User
    Is this method suggested by Aarav likely to work on a laptop with its integrated keyboard or, as noted in an earlier post, do I need to find an older keyboard driver and roll back to that one?

Regards,
    John

jhcarver, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Fall creator updated did something to my keyboard - Similar Threads - Fall creator updated

2. Fall creators update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall creators update.: How do i stop or block this virus you call the fall creators update, 3 times this year it's uploaded itself onto my computer and every time i've had to revert to the previous build. Each time it installs itself i loose 3-4 hours of work time because i can't use my computer,...
  3. Sandboxie and Fall Creators Update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sandboxie and Fall Creators Update: I don't know how many Sandboxie users we have here but there's got to be a few. If you are, and have upgraded W10 to FCU, you should install beta 5.21.6. It was released today. Sandboxie doesn't officially support FCU yet, but based on my personal case use, the beta is...
  4. Resize the Touch Keyboard after Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Resize the Touch Keyboard after Fall Creators Update: The touch keyboard was changed with the Fall Creators Edition update. It now displays in a much larger area -- it takes up nearly half of the screen when the "full" keyboard is selected, both when the keyboard is locked to the bottom of the screen or when it can be moved to...
  5. Fall creators update not initializing(?)

Fall creators update not initializing(?): So when i booted my pc this morning, i was greeted with the "hello" screen of the windows update. But then it just stops fading in and giving me black screens amd half-faded in sentences. I decided to give it a while, but after 4 hours it hasn't gotten a step further. The...
  6. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  7. Fall Creator Update Query

Fall Creator Update Query: A couple of weeks ago I installed the Fall Creator Update.All installed well,but when I booted up all my Start Menu items were missing,also my about half my Desktop Icons had gone.so I reverted back to build 1703. have Microsoft sorted these things out,i am a bit unsure if I...
  8. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  9. Fall Creators Update

Fall Creators Update: I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what? 99881
  10. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....