Windows 10: Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index

Discus and support Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I got the Fall Creator’s update recently, and it somehow broke Windows’ indexing of programs. I'm currently on Winver: 1709 (OS Build 16299.64).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Edward Hyde, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index

I got the Fall Creator’s update recently, and it somehow broke Windows’ indexing of programs. I'm currently on Winver: 1709 (OS Build 16299.64).

Before the problem:
    Windows 10/drive C: is installed on a 250GB SSD, but most programs are installed on a conventional 640 GB hard drive, D:.
    This worked perfectly fine, as one could expect, so no specific weird things.

The problem:
    Since the Fall Creator’s update, Windows somehow figured that all my programs are installed on C:. This has lead to the following 4 issues, which I presume all stem from the same problem:
    • On the desktop, all shortcuts of programs on D: were changed to the same folder on C: (which doesn’t exist), and the original shortcut was copied to the desktop as well appending ‘(1)’.

Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index [​IMG]
    • In the start menu, basically the same thing happened as on the desktop. Duplicates of shortcuts appeared, pointing to the actual location, while the original shortcut is changed to C:
    • In the list of all installed programs, all programs are indeed present, but those installed on D: are missing an icon, and can’t be uninstalled – instead it gives an error that “C:\Program Files\Program_Name\uninstall.exe” can’t be found (because it doesn’t exist on C: )

• All default programs are broken, as it presents programs from D: as if they were located on C: in the proposed list (meaning they won’t work). When choosing “look for another app on this PC”, and choosing the correct program, it doesn’t remember that choice. This is confirmed in the 'Default Apps' part of 'Settings', where I simply cannot choose the majority of my programs.

What I’ve tried:
    • For issues 1 and 2, going to the properties of the shortcut shows the shortcut points to a non-existing folder on C:. However, when I click ‘Open File Location’, it actually opens the correct folder on D:, while simultaneously changing the ‘Target’ and ‘Start in’ fields to the path on D:. When applied, this also fixes the shortcut icon. While this is labour-intensive, I could live with it as a solution, but it doesn’t fix the most important issues 3 & 4.

• I’ve tried forcing a re-index of the start menu shortcuts, but that didn’t change anything.
    • I’ve restored Windows to a previous version, which solved all the issues, but that only confirms it’s indeed the Fall Creator’s update - it doesn’t really help (‘cause the update is kinda necessary, right?).
    • I then re-installed the Fall update, but this time I uninstalled my anti-virus first, so it wouldn’t interfere. Same issues again.
    • I also tried changing the default location of ‘Program Files’ in the registry, but that didn’t solve anything (and instead broke a lot of shortcuts pointing to C: )

Does anyone know how I can fix this mess?

:)

Edward Hyde, Nov 26, 2017
  2. Stephen_C Win User

Cortana not finding local documents

Thanks, did all the things. Also did sfc and dism. Also checked locations under Indexing Options. Also rebuilt index.

It is still broken. Broke after updating to Fall Creators Update.

This is seriously afu.

How do I stop Cortana and revert to plain Windows Search?

Stephen_C, Nov 26, 2017
  3. AppoloWZ Win User
    WPD Drivers have a warning stating they are not working properly on Windows 10 Creators Update

So I downloaded Fall Creators Update (Version 1709). It broke my pc. The display and keyboard are not working with 1709. Apparently between the version that works for me, 1703, and the 1709 something broke the drivers
    - at least display and KB. Because I can't use the pc I can't tell what else is not working. So I rolled the pc back to 1703.

The concern I have is that I may not be able to block the System Update when Microsoft will push it on my pc which will render it unusable. I saw some complaints on the
    Web indicating display/KB problems for some laptops with Fall Creators Update.

AppoloWZ, Nov 26, 2017
  4. Horcza Win User

Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index

Hey man! I have the exact same problem you do, though I didn't get much further either.

Here's my thread:
    Default apps reset, Windows looking for data in the wrong place - Windows 10 Forums

For #3, I think you could use regedit to change the install location in the registry (not for Program Files directory, but for each individual program). I'd guess they are in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/WOW6432NODE/<program name/publisher> (I don't know much about the registry's structure, but GTA V was located there, which is the only one I was looking for). Same as what you did for problems #1 and #2, you have to do this one by one, but it seems to fix the issue.

Horcza, Dec 8, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    I think you need to check here too:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ExcelRetail - en-us (or whatever)

lx07, Dec 8, 2017
  6. There was an additional weirdness in that Microsoft Office flat out refused to work. Even when running the .exe files in the install directory directly. Using the built-in reinstaller fixed that, but I'm not sure why that specific one had problems.

In the end I just rolled back the update, deferred the update and changed the update policy to business. Now I just hope that this weird problem will (by accident or intentionally) get fixed in another update in the future.

Edward Hyde, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index

1. Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index - Similar Threads - Fall Creator's update

2. old defender UI broken in Fall Creators Update 1709

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    old defender UI broken in Fall Creators Update 1709: Since the upgrade to Fall Creators update the old style Defender UI MSASCui.exe produces an error if you try to look at Quarantined items on the History tab. Error loading type library/DLL Error code: 0x80029c4a I'm not the only one, apparently. Also reported here......
  3. "Users_old" directory after updating to 1709 Fall Creators

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    "Users_old" directory after updating to 1709 Fall Creators: In Trainwreck of errors related to seemingly-normal Win10 updates - help! Solved - Windows 10 Forums I posted of my confusion, a problem now solved, about an ASUS laptop that came with Windows 10 installed suddenly being unable to download and install updates. "Net" of that...
  4. Fall Creators 1709 Update Issue Possibly

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fall Creators 1709 Update Issue Possibly: Hi All Not sure if this is a real issue or not, but it shows Other Updates all Failed, is it Related to Avast Free 17.8? or just a Windows 10 Update glitch, or nothing to be concerned about, I can try the update reset if need be 97860
  5. My 1709 Fall Creators Update Broke and Reset Mny Things

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My 1709 Fall Creators Update Broke and Reset Mny Things: Thought someone might be interested to know what broke on this update, which did install without errors. I have spent 4 or 5 hours trying to sort out all it did. Some amaze me like deleting ALL my saved Restore Points!! Windows Creator Update broke, reset or disrespected...
  6. Disable driver update regedit - 1709 Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable driver update regedit - 1709 Fall Creators Update: Hello How to turn off driver update via regedit ? os windows 10 fall creatros update 1709 Thank you 99435
  7. Falls Creators Update 1709 Bug in Start Items

in Windows 10 Support
    Falls Creators Update 1709 Bug in Start Items: This got to be a bug in version 1709 because despite installing all updates and rebooting many times, after I Unpin From Start from the items from the Start Menu Items list, they reappear after I start up again. Microsoft again, messed up big time on this... See...
  8. Fall Creators Update (1709) Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fall Creators Update (1709) Remote Desktop: After upgrading window 10 to the Fall UC, i'm having some problems with remote desktop: two pc both with 1709: Sometimes the login stuck and i only see the login image with the user icon but it does not enter the descktop, some other times it ask for password again, it...
  9. Windows 10 Fall Creators (1709) Update Issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Fall Creators (1709) Update Issues: I am having issues updating from 1703 to 1709, and I could use some help. I used the native Windows Update tool to download 1709. I restarted my computer when prompted to begin the installation. I got about a quarter of the way through the installation when I got a blue...
  10. Windows Fall Creators Update 1709 Problems Please Help

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Fall Creators Update 1709 Problems Please Help: Hello,I have successfully installed the update But my Acer Aspire F 15 Notebook wont Reboot and shuts of when I use AIMP4 and A Browser at the same time,there are other issues but this is the worst,in generally my pc runs like the wind.*Mad 100134