Windows 10: Fall Creators Update Causing Issues

Discus and support Fall Creators Update Causing Issues in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently installed the new Fall Creators Update, and right after, I have been having some weird issues that I'm not happy about, and quite frankly, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FullGrownNut, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Fall Creators Update Causing Issues

I recently installed the new Fall Creators Update, and right after, I have been having some weird issues that I'm not happy about, and quite frankly, I want to uninstall the update because of it.

1) My EasyMail for Gmail app stopped giving me notifications for new mail. I've tried everything including uninstalling it and installing it again, clearing the data, etc. I've never changed any of the notifications settings in Windows Notifications settings or within the app itself, and after double-checking, they're all selected perfectly to allow notifications.

2) Start-up of my computer is much slower, especially after powering off totally for several hours, but during this slow start-up, what really irks me is the fact that Windows is changing my Lockscreen image to the default image that used to appear when I first got my Windows 10 computer. And yes, even going into Settings for the Lockscreen image, the one I have chosen to appear is still selected.

The weird thing is this. If I just reboot my computer (restart) or shut it down totally and the power it up via the power button shortly after the shut-down, the desired Lockscreen image that I have selected is displayed (start-up process is quicker too). However, if I shut down my computer for the night, and then several hours later I turn it back on, this is when I get the issue of Windows changing my Lockscreen image to the default one, along with the much slower start-up.

I have to point out also, that when I am having this much slower start-up and Lockscreen image change issue, after I select to use Windows 10 instead of System Restore from the light blue star-up menu screen, it now goes to a 'Please Wait...' status for several seconds, before I get the wrong Lockscreen image. My system NEVER went to the 'Please Wait...' status at this point in a regular start-up before, only during a start-up where there was an update involved. So evidently, something is going haywire at that point during the start-up process where the 'Please Wait...' is displaying. And again, it only happens after my computer has been totally shut down for several hours, not during a quick restart or a quick shut down (shut down selected and then quickly turned back on via the power button).

Any suggestions on how to fix these issues? The start-up issue is much more annoying to me than the Gmail app notifications one, even though I would like to get my notifications back for my Gmail, since that was a very convenient feature to have. If there is no solution, is it best to uninstall the Fall Creators Update somehow without having to do a System Restore? I would hate to have to do a restore since it's been about a week since the update. I'm really annoyed that things aren't working right after this update, and would really like to get it resolved. Thank you for any help on this.

~FGN

:)

FullGrownNut, Nov 21, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Keyboard keys (caps lock, tab, and other keys not functioning

OK, you are on the Fall Creators Edition of Windows 10. That is the update that has more than likely caused all this - it is causing a lot of issues.

If you roll back, you will revert to 1703 the original Creators Edition, which was mush more stable.

Microsoft report they are working on all the problems the Fall edition is causing, so hopefully they will release a patch soon . . .

DaveM121, Nov 21, 2017
  3. update kb4041676 will not install

Hello,

Try refraining the update as it may cause boot issues after installation. Wait for the Fall Creators Update arriving on 17th Oct, 2017.

Regards.

Kapil Arya MVP, Nov 21, 2017
  4. Fall Creators Update Causing Issues

Hi FullGrown Nut.

First to address the power on slow boot I would recommend you try this. Right click on Start, the either Command Prompt(admin) or Powershell(Admin)

powercfg -h off

The start screen issue is a bug. Several threads on issue, three that I've been on. There was a registry fix that sort of solved things. I will try to find.

For gmail, I use chrome and I added a little extension to tell me to look. I will find name. This at best is a work around.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 21, 2017
  5. dmholt57 Win User
    The Fast Startup is set to on by default. Not all machines work well with Hybrid Startup. In power options, find the What happens when you close the lid link, in next window, click on Change settings that are currently unavailable. Uncheck the Fast Startup box and see if this helps. *Wink Hopefully, the next updates will address the problem...

dmholt57, Nov 21, 2017
  6. Shutting off hibernation ( powercfg -h off ) will also kill Fast Startup.

I usually start with killing both and if that works then enable hibernation and just kill Fast Startup. dmholt57's idea changes the order so start with it. If that doesn't fix then try command.

Here is gmail checker.

Fall Creators Update Causing Issues [​IMG]

7. Here is that thread with registry key change. You should likely scan entire thread. There is another member and he has tried a number of things. His last post was he was going to open ticket with MS. (Corporate user with Premium support.)

Pretty sure its a bug. Anyway have a read. Back up registry before changing, please.

Lock vs Login screen screenshot

Ken

8. Fall Creators Update Causing Issues

Thanks, Ken. As Admin, I entered the powercfg -h off in he cmd prompt window and hit enter, but there was no confirmation that it was activated. What kind of confirmation should I get when it's activated properly? Also, why would hibernation have anything to do with the speed of starting the computer after a long-period shut down?

With the Start Screen/Login Screen, I looked at the thread without implementing it as of yet because these guys there were talking about their Lockscreen being different than their Login screen. When I am having this issue with Windows changing the image, the same image is for both. When starting my computer, after the Windows 10 option is selected as opposed to System Restore, it goes to a screen with an image, but no password login field. When I then hit the space bar or enter on my keyboard while on this screen, it goes to another screen with the same image, but this time it has the field to enter your login/password.

Before the Fall Creators Update, my selected image for my Lockscreen would appear for both of these screens, but this time, with a start-up after several hours of the computer being off, Windows is changing the image (for both screens). Again, if I just do a Restart or a Shutdown then a quick start up again via power button, my selected image appears for both screens - the problem only happens after a long shutdown.

9. Hi.

You don't get a confirm. If it didn't like command it will complain. I would imagine that if you type

powercfg -a

it will list hibernation as a state not available.

This tutorial on Fast Startup may answer some of your questions on power downs.

Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

I think this locked screen image is all related. You should be able to choose and windows should show regardless.

Not sure why you get your image on restart or quick power downs. Restart does give you a fresh copy of windows, maybe that is key. With Fast Startup enabled windows saves information so in essence it is not a fresh copy of windows when you power up. Now I don't believe Windows has a facility to determine short power downs and long power downs, if it does I was unaware. Powering off is powering off. If you want to bypass Windows Fast Startup for a cycle then you hold down shift and click shutdown. Then you get fresh copy.

We also didn't address your question, how do I go back to 1703. The clock is ticking, you have ten days. If you want to go back please let the forum know.

10. Hello Ken,

Thank you for all of that. Some of this information is new to me, such as the fresh copy of Windows. That's very interesting. Ok, I guess I did in fact turn off hibernation since it didn't say either way that something was wrong after hitting enter. So you're saying by me turning off hiberate

I'm confused about something after reading the tutorial about the Power options, etc. When I get to the following screen and options (after clicking to show the options that are currently unavailable), you will notice that I have a very limited selection in the Shutdown settings.

Only two out of the possible four are there, so where is 'Turn off fast startup' and 'Hibernate'?? In that tutorial that you gave me, it says that if the option to turn off Fast startup isn't there, then you have to close the Power options window, activate hibernate, and then start over, and then the Fast startup option should be there. However, I can't even do that since the Hibernate option is non-existent. My computer has no option to turn on hibernate in the settings or start menu. Why is this? Is it because of turning off hibernate with the command you gave me?

As far as going back to the previous version of Windows, when is the last day of the 10-day mark, from the day I installed the last update? If so, I'll have to check in my update history what day that was exactly. I'll let you know. But still my question is why am I having these issues ONLY after the Fall Creators update? Non of these startup (and Gmail app) issues existed bfore it. Thank you.

11. When you turned off hibernate it likely removed the Fast Startup options because if hibernation is off, by default Fast Startup is disabled.

If you want to test just turn hibernation back on.

powercfg -h on

Why is it happen with V1709. The OS is changing and when you do a Feature update it interrogates your hardware to load the "Correct" drivers. Drivers can cause issues. I'm of the opinion if ain't broke don't fix it. That said some drivers do get out of date and can cause BSOD's. MS is really doing a good job with drivers but the amount of gear running Windows 10 is staggering. I have it running on XP machines that are 10 years old.

Lets see if shutting off hibernation fixes things with boot. If so you turn it on and the disable Fast Startup. Process of elimination. (One thread I was on Fast Startup was not issue, hibernation was.)

Drivers are not likely the cause of the notification issues, the suppliers have to keep up. I would check with supplier for specific software concerns, if it broke for you on 1709 it likely broke for others. As heat is applied, vendors become motivated. Not sure if you are a Firefox user. They came out with a very slick update last Tuesday which broke all kinds of legacy extensions. Some of these extensions have already been replaced by vendors as they realized they were being shut out.

Ten days starts when you installed V1709 as I understand it.

12. Ok, after a long shutdown, and power back on, I'm still having the same issues with the slow start-up ('Please wait' screen) and also the wrong Lockscreen image. I can attest to the fact that the computer being off for several hours absolutely has an effect on both of these issues because they both ALWAYS happens on a long shutdown, every time, but NEVER happen on a short one (on a Restart, they never happens either).

I turned hibernation back on with the command, and the options came back in my power settings. I then unchecked the option for Fast startup. Now I have to see what happens after a long shutdown again, since that's the only time these issues ever happen.

I checked my history, and my update to 1709 was on 11/15, so I have two days from now to revert back. Thanks again for your help.

FullGrownNut, Nov 22, 2017
  13. Fall Creators Update Causing Issues

I'm going to revert back to the previous build, but my question is, after I do so, am I able to upgrade to 1709 again? I'm thinking that just maybe something went wrong with the update itself because it took a very very long time.

Something else I must point out. Before the actual upgrade to 1709 (Fall Creators Update), it was updating the Malicious Software Removal Tool forever first, and when it got to 50% installation, Windows took me to the download of the upgrade itself (Fall Creators Update). I was looking at my screen, the Removal Tool was at 50% installation, and then that just disappeared/stopped, and my notifications center told me that a major update was ready to be downloaded and installed. It seemed as though the Removal Tool installation didn't even finish at the time the software version upgrade began, so that's kind of leading me to believe that something just didn't go right with that installation.

If I downgrade to 1708, I assume that I am then able to try the upgrade again just by manually checking for a Windows update, or how does it work in this situation after reverting back to a previous version, if not?

FullGrownNut, Nov 23, 2017
  14. Thanks for the background. I've seen, as I'm sure others have seen, all kinds of crazy number on those install panels. Stuck at downloading, preparing to install or even installing. If it didn't say failed in the updates history then I assume it is good to go.

Next your install taking a long time. Obviously this has something to do with your rig but it too can't be totally explained away by this one answer. My wife has a Asus i5, lots of memory and a huge amount of free space. We sit on an internet service well over 100Mbps and it took almost five hours.

Yes if you revert you can try again. To control this once you've revert back set your connection to be metered. As a metered connection it won't just download. Actually this is way to get some control over updates in general. You can check out your device and back sure things are back to normal.

Rather than downloading 1709 repeatedly use the Media Creation tool to create a USB thumb drive. When you want to try next, insert key, navigate to setup and double click. There is a BIOS setting to adjust. I also recommend you make a back up of your data. The process itself is explained in the tutorial.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 23, 2017
  15. Thanks, Ken. First I'll just reverting back to the previous version of windows and then reinstalling the update. If that doesn't work, I will do what you said using the Media Creation Tool. When you go this route, doesn't it reinstall Windows again? What about the setting in your Windows to Reset the PC, which also reinstalls Windows (below)?

Thanks for the link, I'll review that also.

~FGN

FullGrownNut, Nov 23, 2017
Thema:

Fall Creators Update Causing Issues

1. Fall Creators Update Causing Issues - Similar Threads - Fall Creators Update

2. Help! Fall Creators Update Causes BSODs.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Help! Fall Creators Update Causes BSODs.: The Fall Creators Update has been stuck for me for months. I finally figured out how to get it to install. Before I did that, I updated my video drivers to make sure it wasn't a problem. Installation went fine. It rebooted at the end of installation, which also went fine. It...
  3. Help! Fall Creators Update Causes BSODs.

in Windows 10 Support
    Help! Fall Creators Update Causes BSODs.: The Fall Creators Update has been stuck for me for months. I finally figured out how to get it to install. Before I did that, I updated my video drivers to make sure it wasn't a problem. Installation went fine. It rebooted at the end of installation, which also went fine. It...
  4. Fall creators update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall creators update.: How do i stop or block this virus you call the fall creators update, 3 times this year it's uploaded itself onto my computer and every time i've had to revert to the previous build. Each time it installs itself i loose 3-4 hours of work time because i can't use my computer,...
  5. Fall Creators 1709 Update Issue Possibly

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fall Creators 1709 Update Issue Possibly: Hi All Not sure if this is a real issue or not, but it shows Other Updates all Failed, is it Related to Avast Free 17.8? or just a Windows 10 Update glitch, or nothing to be concerned about, I can try the update reset if need be 97860
  6. Fall Creator Update Causing Stuttering problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creator Update Causing Stuttering problem: About every 2 seconds my cursor will freeze in place for a second and snap to where it's supposed to be. programs do the same thing; while loading they will pause, then snap to where they should have been at that time. I've tried fresh restoring windows and that didn't do...
  7. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  8. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  9. Fall Creators Update

Fall Creators Update: I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what? 99881
  10. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....