Windows 10: Fall creators update: PC doesn't restart

Discus and support Fall creators update: PC doesn't restart in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; ...and a dialog box pops up saying "Windows 10 installation has failed". Upgrading via the MCT on a 1703 PC. 95860 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TTSVids105, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Fall creators update: PC doesn't restart

...and a dialog box pops up saying "Windows 10 installation has failed". Upgrading via the MCT on a 1703 PC.

:)

TTSVids105, Oct 18, 2017

2. Windows 10 Fall Creators update- Restoring your previous version of Windows

Hi,

I was updating to windows 10 fall creators. While installing the updates, it reaches around 90% and restarts and then "Restoring your previous version of Windows" process starts. Basically, the update fails and reverts back to the previous version. I've
    tried this two times and the result was same. Apart from that, it doesn't even show any kind error code or something. My PC gets back to where it was like nothing ever happened and update history also doesn't show anything about the failed update. I used Windows
    upgrade assistant to download and install the update and my PC is currently on creators update (1703). Windows update is super problematic. Now, please help me to install this fall creators update.

Thanks in Advance

Ashutoshm07, Oct 18, 2017
  3. mbulger Win User
    ATI USB 600/750 TV Tuner Windows 10 is Compatible

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update has broken the tuner driver.

I have been using Arcsoft Total Media 3.5 to watch TV on my PC. After the Fall Creators Update, the tuner no longer works reliably. I can sometimes get it to work after multiple restarts.

mbulger, Oct 18, 2017
  4. Fall creators update: PC doesn't restart

Hi TTSVids105

Is your PC dead right now or did it fall back?

If dead, from the power on boot and as soon as you see spinning dots hold power button until it shuts off. Repeat a second time.

On third time the Advance Start up Options should be available. Follow through to Go back to previous build.

Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

If you are dead in the water I know you have a backup of your data, right?

If not create this disk and get your data off.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Once data is off and you are sure you have everything my recommendation is clean install. I would download fresh Media creation tool and download media to ensure it is not corrupt.

Clean Install Windows 10

In future have an Image before trying this so you can restore.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 18, 2017
  5. It falls back, not even rebooting to the next part of setup

Update: And it happened again! Does win+x -> restart work and let's setup continue? But if it doesn't it looks like I'm going to be stuck on 1703 while everyone else is on shiny new 1709. For now going to hold off until I find a solution

TTSVids105, Oct 18, 2017
  6. That is a smart idea.

If you want to experiment further use Macrium Reflect to image current system.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

I would also use the Windows software Create Recovery Drive. This should let you install current version from a clean install.

Back up your data off machine and you could try clean install. Yes more work.

If all else fails do a restore from Macrium.

Obviously there is some risk in upgrading. You would be surprised at how many people don't have FCU. Letting MS get it ready for your machine is a safe call.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 18, 2017
  7. Just wondering... Does the win+x -> restart thing I mentioned earlier work? P.S When I installed 1607 and 1703, it restarted, letting setup continue. Maybe a specific issue pertaining to 1709's installer.

TTSVids105, Oct 19, 2017
  8. Fall creators update: PC doesn't restart

Not sure what you mean, WIN+x gives you a menu. On that menu you can restart but this is not the same as restart during an upgrade where code has been installed.

With the update, achieve by executing setup from USB, please disconnect all non essential devices, ensure Secure boot and fast boot are disabled in BIOS. (Have your data backed up)

Caledon Ken, Oct 19, 2017
  9. This could help solve my predicament. I honestly forgot about the Rufus (*Update Forgot about the MCTs ability to create Setup USB sticks) method and launching setup there. Thumbs up to you! (doesn't appear in mobile view)

TTSVids105, Oct 19, 2017
  10. Guess WHAT? My PC didn't restart again. Was expecting setup to go through, and it didn't. Same dialog, same problem. I tried the USB thing you said, but it still happens. I try to check the Setup logs, but event log keeps stopping. After running Get-WindowsIpdateLog in PowerShell and looking at the log file generated, it seems that the setup tried to "send the shutdown notification" to my PC, and was unable to "persist operation handle value" with an error code of 0x80070013, and exited with the dialog, and the error code 0x240001.

Having Avast installed, if it causes installation problems.

TTSVids105, Oct 19, 2017
  11. I've seen threads where people believe AV's are the issue. Did you make BIOS settings.

If you feel comfortable around the PC and it appears you do I think I would do a clean install. Yes more work but a great base to move forward on.

Here is an informative thread.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/win...dy_UpgradeTips

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 19, 2017
  12. Do you mean "boot from USB"?

Will try tomorrow. If it doesn't work I'll call it a day

I went through the document and searched the setupact and err logs. Nothing on the error codes I mentioned above appear in both logs. Just wondering... Does anyone else have this issue?

Update: Reading the logs again produced two error codes:

Code: 0x80004005[/quote] as the error code, and
    Code: 0x50015[/quote] as the result.

The error code seems to be Win32, which I cannot seem to lay my finger on which specific error it is. The result code I CAN, though: it happened during phase 5, and there was an error creating a file.

And it seems like it's a CRC error keeping me from updating. Oh well, time for a new hard disk it seems.

TTSVids105, Oct 19, 2017
  13. Fall creators update: PC doesn't restart

No I do not mean boot from USB as that start the process where you could do a clean install. I meant navigate to the USB drive, say drive G:, find the setup exe and double click.

If you think your drive is causing issues you could run a check with Seatools by Seagate.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 20, 2017
  14. I did, same error

That's what I was thinking when I found out that was the issue. Time to reformat my USB stick again I guess! (To put the dos version in if windows detects bad sectors)

(Earlier, I tried to install an update (that's not 1709) and it failed, and when I tried to update my audio driver it also failed. Possibly linked to a CRC error)

TTSVids105, Oct 20, 2017
  15. If you think you have bad disk, and I may be repeating myself, my apologizes, backup data.

Gives you a great reason to buy a brand new shinny SSD.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 20, 2017
Thema:

Fall creators update: PC doesn't restart

1. Fall creators update: PC doesn't restart - Similar Threads - Fall creators update

2. Fall creators update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall creators update.: How do i stop or block this virus you call the fall creators update, 3 times this year it's uploaded itself onto my computer and every time i've had to revert to the previous build. Each time it installs itself i loose 3-4 hours of work time because i can't use my computer,...
  3. Sandboxie and Fall Creators Update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sandboxie and Fall Creators Update: I don't know how many Sandboxie users we have here but there's got to be a few. If you are, and have upgraded W10 to FCU, you should install beta 5.21.6. It was released today. Sandboxie doesn't officially support FCU yet, but based on my personal case use, the beta is...
  4. Fall creators update not initializing(?)

Fall creators update not initializing(?): So when i booted my pc this morning, i was greeted with the "hello" screen of the windows update. But then it just stops fading in and giving me black screens amd half-faded in sentences. I decided to give it a while, but after 4 hours it hasn't gotten a step further. The...
  5. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  6. Fall Creator Update Query

Fall Creator Update Query: A couple of weeks ago I installed the Fall Creator Update.All installed well,but when I booted up all my Start Menu items were missing,also my about half my Desktop Icons had gone.so I reverted back to build 1703. have Microsoft sorted these things out,i am a bit unsure if I...
  7. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  8. Fall Creators Update

Fall Creators Update: I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what? 99881
  9. Fall Creators Update Doesn't Log Out

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update Doesn't Log Out: I upgraded to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update a few days ago and I have noticed an annoying problem. When a user on my system shuts down or restarts, the system appears to do what it is supposed to do and shuts down or restarts. However, if another person then turns the...
  10. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 0x80070013 0x50015