Windows 10: Fall Creators Update v. 1709 Keeps Restoring to Previous Version

Discus and support Fall Creators Update v. 1709 Keeps Restoring to Previous Version in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I've never had a problem updating my Win 10 Pro up til now. But for some reason, I am unable to go from current version 1703 to latest version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by orlando1974, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Fall Creators Update v. 1709 Keeps Restoring to Previous Version

Hi, I've never had a problem updating my Win 10 Pro up til now. But for some reason, I am unable to go from current version 1703 to latest version 1709. I'm using the Windows 10 Update Assistant - which downloads the files and runs the installation. The computer then signs out and restarts - I see the blue Windows screen with the % going up... but once it reaches 18%, it flips to a black restart screen that tells me it's "Attempting to Recover..." followed by "Restoring previous version of Windows..."

And what a long process to try again all over to get to this point.

I have alot of programs installed on my PC and don't want to lose any of these... Has someone else encountered this issue, or can provide an alternate way of installing?

As a side note I have less than 12GB remaining on my C: would this be the problem????

:)

orlando1974, Nov 7, 2017
  2. Munifex Win User

Windows feature updates install sequence.

My desktop PC is still running windows 10 on the 1607 version. Is installation of future feature updates dependent on all previous versions being installed? In other words, will I be unable to install the creators fall update (v 1709) unless the previous
    1703 version is installed first, or will it automatically install all prerequisites?

Thanks

Munifex, Nov 7, 2017
  3. Computer Issue or....

Which version of Windows 10 is installed?

Is it the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update version 1709?

I'm not surprised you are having trouble with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

There seems to be some early adopter issues at this time with Windows 10 1709, if you can, I recommend you downgrade to your previous version until the Fall Creators Update matures with future cumulative updates.

Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery > under Go back to my previous version of Windows 10, click Get started.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 7, 2017
  4. Word Man Win User

Fall Creators Update v. 1709 Keeps Restoring to Previous Version

It's very likely that it is.

Do you have a windows.old folder on your C drive and how much space does it occupy? Can't remember if checking that requires setting explorer to show hidden or protected operating system files/folders or not.

Word Man, Nov 7, 2017
  5. Thanks for quick reply... i think windows.old gets created once the update is complete, but not sure. All i know is it's not there - here is my file/folder structure with everything exposed:

Fall Creators Update v. 1709 Keeps Restoring to Previous Version [​IMG]

orlando1974, Nov 7, 2017
  6. Word Man Win User
    Understood. I asked on off chance that a prior failed update left something there.

Have you done a Disk Cleanup (including system files option)? I think 12 GB is not much room for this.

Word Man, Nov 7, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Space available could easily be the issue. You can delete that hiberfil.sys, which will also turn off Fast Startup, and if needed turn it back on after all is done.

Don't just try to delete it, use the proper command. At an Admin Command prompt, copy and paste the command, and hit enter. You will instantly get back 13GB of space. Try your update again. To turn hibernation back on, use the second command.

powercfg -h off

to turn back on:

powercfg -h on

f14tomcat, Nov 7, 2017
  8. Fall Creators Update v. 1709 Keeps Restoring to Previous Version

Brilliant! In doing so I was able to have 20GB of free space, at least temporarily. Rebooting seems to have recreated the hiberfil.sys - do i still need to run the command prompt to reactivate it or is it already active if the file is showing?

Also, in looking that the list here, are there folders I can safely delete? I tried manually deleting windows.old but something about SYSTEM wont allow me to get rid of it completely. There are a few hidden folders that start with $ which I don't think were there before - can those be deleted? (even the recycle bin one?)

Fall Creators Update v. 1709 Keeps Restoring to Previous Version [​IMG]

orlando1974, Nov 7, 2017
  9. Word Man Win User
    If you know that you will not need to revert back to the prior build of Win 10, you can run the extended disk cleanup - here is Brink's tutorial: Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10

From what I can see, windows.old and the $windows.~WS folders are there to enable rolling back to the prior build.

Unless you have complete disk images from before and after, you may want to wait until you're sure you won't need to roll back or until 10 days have passed after which those 2 folders shoud go away.

I'm going to guess that the major update you just did reset the hiberfil.sys status to default (i.e., re-enabled fast startup) and that's why it reappeared.

Word Man, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Fall Creators Update v. 1709 Keeps Restoring to Previous Version

1. Fall Creators Update v. 1709 Keeps Restoring to Previous Version - Similar Threads - Fall Creators Update

2. old defender UI broken in Fall Creators Update 1709

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    old defender UI broken in Fall Creators Update 1709: Since the upgrade to Fall Creators update the old style Defender UI MSASCui.exe produces an error if you try to look at Quarantined items on the History tab. Error loading type library/DLL Error code: 0x80029c4a I'm not the only one, apparently. Also reported here......
  3. "Users_old" directory after updating to 1709 Fall Creators

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    "Users_old" directory after updating to 1709 Fall Creators: In Trainwreck of errors related to seemingly-normal Win10 updates - help! Solved - Windows 10 Forums I posted of my confusion, a problem now solved, about an ASUS laptop that came with Windows 10 installed suddenly being unable to download and install updates. "Net" of that...
  4. Fall Creators 1709 Update Issue Possibly

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fall Creators 1709 Update Issue Possibly: Hi All Not sure if this is a real issue or not, but it shows Other Updates all Failed, is it Related to Avast Free 17.8? or just a Windows 10 Update glitch, or nothing to be concerned about, I can try the update reset if need be 97860
  5. Disable driver update regedit - 1709 Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable driver update regedit - 1709 Fall Creators Update: Hello How to turn off driver update via regedit ? os windows 10 fall creatros update 1709 Thank you 99435
  6. Falls Creators Update 1709 Bug in Start Items

in Windows 10 Support
    Falls Creators Update 1709 Bug in Start Items: This got to be a bug in version 1709 because despite installing all updates and rebooting many times, after I Unpin From Start from the items from the Start Menu Items list, they reappear after I start up again. Microsoft again, messed up big time on this... See...
  7. Fall Creators Update (1709) Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fall Creators Update (1709) Remote Desktop: After upgrading window 10 to the Fall UC, i'm having some problems with remote desktop: two pc both with 1709: Sometimes the login stuck and i only see the login image with the user icon but it does not enter the descktop, some other times it ask for password again, it...
  8. Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index: I got the Fall Creator’s update recently, and it somehow broke Windows’ indexing of programs. I'm currently on Winver: 1709 (OS Build 16299.64). Before the problem: Windows 10/drive C: is installed on a 250GB SSD, but most programs are installed on a conventional 640 GB...
  9. Windows 10 Fall Creators (1709) Update Issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Fall Creators (1709) Update Issues: I am having issues updating from 1703 to 1709, and I could use some help. I used the native Windows Update tool to download 1709. I restarted my computer when prompted to begin the installation. I got about a quarter of the way through the installation when I got a blue...
  10. Rumor: Fall Creators Update is Windows 10 version 1709

in Windows 10 News
    Rumor: Fall Creators Update is Windows 10 version 1709: it appears that Microsoft has referenced the version number for the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update in related documentation. A blog post (first spotted by WZor) related to the the Policy device description framework (DDF) file in Windows mentions "Windows 10, version...