Windows 10: Fall update broke my computer

Discus and support Fall update broke my computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, a bit desperate here. I installed that Fall update last night and thought my computer was a bit slower than usual so i cancelled it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Lechatnocturne, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Fall update broke my computer

Hi everyone,

a bit desperate here. I installed that Fall update last night and thought my computer was a bit slower than usual so i cancelled it and got back to my original build. Now my computer is all messed up. Launch programs won't launch, i can't launch any program (for exemple if i launch Chrome i'll just get the borders and an empty screen, same for Spotify), i can't access windows parameters (i clic on it and it does nothing), i can still access to documents but i can't open any files (i'll get an error). Basically Windows is unresponsive. Now i've tried pretty much anything i know in safe mode with no results. Windows recovery gives me an error, i also tried to go back to the Fall update but i get an error aswell... I'm stuck and would appreciate any help here.

Thanks

Ps: sorry for my poor english and for the packed text, writting from my phone.

:)

Lechatnocturne, Dec 16, 2017

2. Fall Creators Update broke my computer

I've been having the same problem since November. Finally I've gotten a straight answer. The hardware in my computer is old and isn't compatible with the creators update. It was running Windows 10 before but it flat out doesn't work with the creators update
    onward. And I wasn't able to remove the downloaded updates or disable the update process. I tried several times with support. Gonna install Linux on that machine and buy a new PC if I want to use Windows.

I'm really upset that the possibility that it might be a hardware issue never came up. Everyone I talked to just tried walking through update and install procedures again and again.

Eventually they suggested I talk to the manufacturer. The manufacturer immediately said it might be a hardware issue. Everyone from that point on agreed that with the hardware I was on, the Creator's Update wouldn't work, but older versions of Windows 10 would.
    If that's common knowledge I would have like to have known it months ago.

It's been so frustrating trying to get my computer to work over the past few months, having it force shut down when I'm trying to use it, having to wait for it restore previous versions every time, disabling auto updates not working so the problem never went
    away.

There doesn't seem to be any information about hardware compatibility when troubleshooting the update. I hope relevant information somehow finds its way to anyone in the same boat as I am.

ErrantBunny, Dec 16, 2017
  3. Fall Creators Update broke my computer

Same here!!! Microsoft is a piece of ****!!

Chris McDonell, Dec 16, 2017
  4. bdogg Win User

Fall update broke my computer

bdogg, Dec 16, 2017
  5. spunk Win User
    If you did not let the update finish, then you really messed up your computer, not the update.
    If you can boot into Safe Mode, then press the Win key+X and choose Command Prompt (Admin) or Power Shell (Admin) here type SFC /scannow and press enter. This will replace any missing system files.
    If that fails, if you have a bootable USB Flash drive with Windows 10 on it, you can boot to that, choose your Language and choose Repair Your Computer.

spunk, Dec 17, 2017
  6. I would also recommend running
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Techjourney, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Fall update broke my computer

1. Fall update broke my computer - Similar Threads - Fall update broke

2. Windows update broke my computer!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update broke my computer!: Hi, I just updated Windows 10 and now I can't click on apps, the start menu or anything else. No error message. My desktop keep flashing off about every 5 seconds and stops my typing on here. How can I fix this or get rid of this update? Please help...
  3. Windows update broke my computer!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update broke my computer!: Hi, I just updated Windows 10 and now I can't click on apps, the start menu or anything else. No error message. My desktop keep flashing off about every 5 seconds and stops my typing on here. How can I fix this or get rid of this update? Please help...
  4. Recent update broke my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recent update broke my computer: A week or so ago, I updated windows with the most recent update. The next day I turn it on to use it and it started up fine, got to the login screen fine but when I logged in my desktop was gone, all I had was the tool bar on the bottom. When I would scroll my mouse down to...
  5. My computer broke after update

My computer broke after update: My computer updated recently and now all my files and settings are gone. I’ve restarted a ton and it just goes back to default every time. I could cry. What do i do?...
  6. Update 1903 broke my computer

Update 1903 broke my computer: Got forced into this horrid update last night when I shut my desktop off. Came home from work today with the expectation of being able to relax and unwind only to find that i can't. My computer won't boot up. First, it took forever, which I expected after an update. After...
  7. Latest update broke my computer

Latest update broke my computer: Within the last week or so I installed the latest Windows updates to my laptop. As I was finishing up my usage of the laptop I chose the "Install updates and shut down" option on my computer and let it do it's thing. A few days later I started it up and it indicated it was...
  8. Fall update broke my computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall update broke my computer: Tiêu Chuẩn Chọn Mua Giấy Dán Kính Chống Nắng Cách Nhiệt Nhiều người hiện nay nghe nhiều đến cái tên phim cách nhiệt. Tuy nhiên họ lại không biết nên chọn mua phim cách nhiệt tại đâu để đảm bảo chất lượng và an toàn. Vì vậy giấy dán kính chống nắng tphcm hôm nay sẽ bật mí cho...
  9. My 1709 Fall Creators Update Broke and Reset Mny Things

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My 1709 Fall Creators Update Broke and Reset Mny Things: Thought someone might be interested to know what broke on this update, which did install without errors. I have spent 4 or 5 hours trying to sort out all it did. Some amaze me like deleting ALL my saved Restore Points!! Windows Creator Update broke, reset or disrespected...
  10. Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index: I got the Fall Creator’s update recently, and it somehow broke Windows’ indexing of programs. I'm currently on Winver: 1709 (OS Build 16299.64). Before the problem: Windows 10/drive C: is installed on a 250GB SSD, but most programs are installed on a conventional 640 GB...