Windows 10: falling in love with Linux CLI but not ready to give up on windows.

Discus and support falling in love with Linux CLI but not ready to give up on windows. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have recently been using WSL/Debian to develop software on windows. I am not entirely sure what POSIX means, but I know that i love the way it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/IxCloudxI, Sep 7, 2020.

1. falling in love with Linux CLI but not ready to give up on windows.

I have recently been using WSL/Debian to develop software on windows. I am not entirely sure what POSIX means, but I know that i love the way it searches and organizes various executables, in a $PATH variable. in windows, you are either required to add them to your $PATH manually, or your build file needs to intricately weave through subfolders in a very maze-like way.
    I understand that Visual Studio has this figured out for you using its interface. but I do not like working with Visual Studio. in fact I actually stopped developing in c++ because of how much I dislike Visual Studio.
    Switching over to VSCode I have had a much better time with languages like c# and lua.
    I noticed that more and more people are having success with gcc and the vscode extension for c++.
    so I have started to use it within the WSL to develop apps but am running into problems with graphical APIs such as OpenGL. I am currently using Xming, but it feels cheap, and I suspect it won't support some of the more modern features of my graphics card.
    I am not 100% attached to the Linux subsurface layer, but it makes task and build configuration much, much easier in my opinion. and the apt-get install command is also a wonderful feature.
    I want to know if MinGW will potentially solve my problems, but don't want to remove the Debian WSL.
    being directorally challenged. I also don't know how to organize the $PATH variable directories in such a way that the bash.exe's don't conflict.
    maybe theres another solution? I have tried using chocolatey to emulate the apt-get command in unix but find I miss the automatic adding to the $PATH.
    anybody out there who has knowledge or experience on this I would really greatly appreciate it.

if it is unclear what I am asking -
    1:whats up with windows being so stingy with its $PATH variables
    2: is MinGW going to be a suitable replacement for my needs(CLI software install, GPU rendering, linux style directories)
    3: any other ways to solve my problems. (e.g. an in depth guide on folder management, or like a WSL type app that lets me use Debian commands but with MinGWs Windows support)

submitted by /u/IxCloudxI
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/IxCloudxI, Sep 7, 2020
  2. Silverel Win User

Guide: How to enable, use, and configure SLI on Linux.

I guess the next logical step would be to report on the performance you can get with SLI in Linux. That'd be my suggestion anyway.

Silverel, Sep 7, 2020
  3. hellrazor Win User
    Survey Reveals Companies' Early Windows 8 Reactions and Plans

Bull fucking shit.

hellrazor, Sep 7, 2020
  4. falling in love with Linux CLI but not ready to give up on windows.

Switch to Linux ??

Find a suitable Linux forum and request comments from people who converted from Linux to Windows, in particular on

• Stability
    • Ease of use
    • Availability of external help in case of trouble
    • Availability of applications, games
    • Data exchange with the Windows world

Frederik Long, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

falling in love with Linux CLI but not ready to give up on windows.

1. falling in love with Linux CLI but not ready to give up on windows. - Similar Threads - falling love Linux

2. Love

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Love: Peace and whales https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/love/a63725f0-c7ff-4aa3-a88e-fa935a50f53b
  3. The widows CLI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The widows CLI: I used to find the windows command prompt rather limited in what it can preform, especially when compared to Linux capabilities. However over time Microsoft have developed it and the the windows os is now a lot more developer friendly in general. The CLI is a lot less rigid...
  4. SSH into Windows from Linux and run CLI/GUI apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSH into Windows from Linux and run CLI/GUI apps: I do not get used to wsl, and I do not think wsl2 is going to be the better solution. I run a Linux VM on my Windows hypervisor, I mounted my C drive and I'm connecting to it via shh. My first Idea was to write a bash script, that connects from the Linux VM via ssh to the...
  5. I'm Ready to Give Up Trying to Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I'm Ready to Give Up Trying to Install: I've been trying for 3 days now to do a fresh install of Windows 10 after using linux for a while. I've downloaded the x64 iso 4 times to try and make sure I don't have a corrupted image. I've tried burning the windows image to both Unetbootin and WoeUsb. I've tried with 2...
  6. two types of Linux CLI are installed. How to remove?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    two types of Linux CLI are installed. How to remove?: Hi all, I installed the WSL as per Microsoft instructions on how to get Linux sub-system for Windows. I currently use Windows 10, 1903. When I'm in CMD and I type Bash, I get one type of bash CLI. If I type Ubuntu, I get a different CLI. The differences are at which prompt...
  7. two types of Linux CLI are installed. How to remove?

in Windows 10 Support
    two types of Linux CLI are installed. How to remove?: Hi all, I installed the WSL as per Microsoft instructions on how to get Linux sub-system for Windows. I currently use Windows 10, 1903. When I'm in CMD and I type Bash, I get one type of bash CLI. If I type Ubuntu, I get a different CLI. The differences are at which prompt...
  8. ready to give up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ready to give up: Hello everyone, Well, it's day 5 of my Windows 10 upgrade attempts! I have literally been trying to do this for the past 5 days and have gotten absolutely nowhere!! I have followed all the instructions from here and everywhere else I could to fix this, but nothing is...
  9. 9 reasons why I'm ready to love Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    9 reasons why I'm ready to love Windows 10: Back in February, Business Insider's Steve Kovach declared that after years of being an Apple kind of guy, he was ready to love Microsoft Windows again. "Even though we're months away from the final version, Windows 10 already feels seamless, friendly, familiar, and...
  10. Giving up on Windows!

in Windows 10 Support
    Giving up on Windows!: I've been a reluctant Windows user for as long as I can remember. What's the definition of a mouse? It's an elephant running Windows! I upgraded to Windows 10 last year and it took forever - how can it take so long to update? I could have calculated several moonshots in that...