Windows 10: False Boot Drive?

Discus and support False Boot Drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have two disks listed as boot devices when my computer boots up, however I want to skip selecting the disk and boot directly to my SSD (Disk 1)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Deathspell55555, Feb 18, 2016.

1. False Boot Drive?

I have two disks listed as boot devices when my computer boots up, however I want to skip selecting the disk and boot directly to my SSD (Disk 1) instead. The other drive listed(Disk 3) just goes to a blank screen when selected.

In This PC the icon for Disk 3 is faded. There is no blue bar indicating drive space. It is listed as USB Drive (G*Smile

In Disk Management, Disk 3 is listed as Removable with No media. There is no space available on the disk either.

From"CMD -> diskpart -> list disk" I get:
    Disk 0 Online 298GB
    Disk 1 Online 223GB
    Disk 2 Online 465GB
    Disk 3 No Media 0B

When disk 3 is selected and issued the command "Clean" I get the error "There is no media on the device"

What can I do to remove this false disk? There is nothing plugged into any USB ports that could be the problem. The problem has also persisted after multiple boots. It appears Windows is seeing a bootable flash drive that isn't real.

:)

Deathspell55555, Feb 18, 2016
  2. rusty1001 Win User

Windows 10 - Slow start up, sleep mode does not come back on etc - Issues with boot up

No sorry false alarm, this has not helped, it is still slow startup...

Not sure why it was quick when I took out drive, but is back to slow boot up... HELP! Thanks

rusty1001, Feb 18, 2016
  3. KB3176493 for Windows 10 and KB3177725 for Windows 7 broke printing in our software

Repo script:

Option Explicit

Dim objWord

Dim objDoc

Set objWord = CreateObject ("Word.Application")

Set objDoc = objWord.Documents.Open ("c:\temp\lorem.doc", False, True, False, , , True)

objWord.WordBasic.FilePrintSetup "Microsoft XPS Document Writer", , , True

objDoc.PrintOut False, False, 0, "c:\temp\spool001.xps", , , 0, 1, , 0, True, False

objDoc.Close 0

Set objDoc = objWord.Documents.Open ("c:\temp\lorem.doc", False, True, False, , , True)

objDoc.PrintOut False, False, 0, "c:\temp\spool002.xps", , , 0, 1, , 0, True, False

objDoc.Close 0

objDoc.PrintOut False, False, 0, "c:\temp\spool003.xps", , , 0, 1, , 0, True, False

objDoc.Close 0

objDoc.PrintOut False, False, 0, "c:\temp\spool004.xps", , , 0, 1, , 0, True, False

objDoc.Close 0

objDoc.PrintOut False, False, 0, "c:\temp\spool005.xps", , , 0, 1, , 0, True, False

objDoc.Close 0

objDoc.PrintOut False, False, 0, "c:\temp\spool006.xps", , , 0, 1, , 0, True, False

objDoc.Close 0

objDoc.PrintOut False, False, 0, "c:\temp\spool007.xps", , , 0, 1, , 0, True, False

objDoc.Close 0

objWord.Quit

The lorem.doc contains the expansion of =lorem(5,5).

Stefan ten Hoedt_, Feb 18, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

False Boot Drive?

Are you having to select the boot disk from bios, or from the Windows boot manager?

Do you have a physical CD/DVD ROM drive connected? That is probably your disk 3 you are seeing.

NavyLCDR, Feb 18, 2016
  5. Windows Boot Manager. And I dont have a DVD drive installed in my case. Also, no, no USB drives are plugged in anywhere. I'm a little more of an advanced user than that, LOL.

Deathspell55555, Feb 18, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    If it is in Windows Boot Manager then you can use a couple options to edit it:

Win+R key to bring up the run dialog. Then run msconfig. Then the boot tab. Set your default OS to the Windows 10 installation (not sure if you can delete the disk 3 option there) and set timeout to 0.

Or install Easy BCD and edit the boot menu:
    EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

As far as figuring out where the fake Disk 3 is coming from - can't help much there, sorry False Boot Drive? :)

NavyLCDR, Feb 18, 2016
  7. Perfect! It is really glitching out, its from a fragmented old installation on Disk 0 it appears... At any rate, msconfig Boot tab was where the setting was. Thanks a ton!

Deathspell55555, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

False Boot Drive?

1. False Boot Drive? - Similar Threads - False Boot Drive

2. DRIVES SHOWING FALSE AVAILABLE SPACE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DRIVES SHOWING FALSE AVAILABLE SPACE: THE READINGS CHECKED DIRECTLY AND MANULLY SELECTING EVERYTHING IN THAT DRIVE DIFFERS , THE DIFFERENCE CAN BE SEEN IN THE SCREENSHOT I HAVE UPLOADED IT SHOWS IT HAS BEEN UPLOADED, THERE IS DIFFERENCE OF SOME GBS SO WHAT TO DO AND I UNINSTALLED A GAME FROM DRIVE D , I SAW 100GB...
  3. DRIVES SHOWING FALSE AVAILABLE SPACE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DRIVES SHOWING FALSE AVAILABLE SPACE: THE READINGS CHECKED DIRECTLY AND MANULLY SELECTING EVERYTHING IN THAT DRIVE DIFFERS , THE DIFFERENCE CAN BE SEEN IN THE SCREENSHOT I HAVE UPLOADED IT SHOWS IT HAS BEEN UPLOADED, THERE IS DIFFERENCE OF SOME GBS SO WHAT TO DO AND I UNINSTALLED A GAME FROM DRIVE D , I SAW 100GB...
  4. False indication of Locked Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    False indication of Locked Drive: What is the problem:When I open "This PC", double clicking on either C: or D: does nothing no error response nor feedback.There are no Event Viewer entries when I tried to double click the drives.If I right click and select "Open" or "Open in new window", both drives can be...
  5. False indication of Locked Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    False indication of Locked Drive: What is the problem:When I open "This PC", double clicking on either C: or D: does nothing no error response nor feedback.There are no Event Viewer entries when I tried to double click the drives.If I right click and select "Open" or "Open in new window", both drives can be...
  6. False indication of Locked Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. SSD Drive C and Drive D compressed: FALSE. What does this "false" mean here, and is it good...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD Drive C and Drive D compressed: FALSE. What does this "false" mean here, and is it good...: Hello,When I use Intel® Driver & Support Assistant and check my storage Samsung SSD Evo 970 Plus, I see this screen below.I wonder if it is fine or something goes wrong.C:Compressed: FALSED:Compressed: FALSEPLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND WHY IT IS FALSE.Thank you a lot....
  8. SSD Drive C and Drive D compressed: FALSE. What does this "false" mean here, and is it good...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Drive C and Drive D compressed: FALSE. What does this "false" mean here, and is it good...: Hello,When I use Intel® Driver & Support Assistant and check my storage Samsung SSD Evo 970 Plus, I see this screen below.I wonder if it is fine or something goes wrong.C:Compressed: FALSED:Compressed: FALSEPLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND WHY IT IS FALSE.Thank you a lot....
  9. Multiple false windows boot managers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Multiple false windows boot managers: OK so here is the conundrum I am currently facing. I'll list my steps and where I am. First, I wanted to install gears 5 but couldn't because for some reason my computer wasn't updating (had no idea this was going on) and I didn't meet minimum requirements. So I attempted...
  10. False properties for external drive

in Windows 10 Support
    False properties for external drive: Hi I have a 6TB Samsung D3 external drive formatted in NTFS which I use for backups I have a backup folder/subfolder then 2 further subfolders (89.9GB & 86.3GB) Win Explorer/properties reports the 2 higher level folders as 89.8GB (the size of the oldest of the 2...