Windows 10: Family activity report shows excess hours

Discus and support Family activity report shows excess hours in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Windows 10. All up to date. I have 3 children who I have set up screen time limits for - 30minutes on weekdays and 1 hour on weekends. However in... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by paulbloggs, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Family activity report shows excess hours

Windows 10. All up to date.

I have 3 children who I have set up screen time limits for - 30minutes on weekdays and 1 hour on weekends.

However in the weekly reports they have been on for 2, 3 or even more hours per day. Some days it works and they receive 15 minute, 2 minute warnings and then are logged off. But other days - like today - they are still playing and the activity shows that they have been on for 2hours and 6 minutes.

Why?

Today it shows my son has been on for 3 hours but he is not even at home. All our PCs are at home.

And we regularly have to verify our accounts - there is usually "a problem with your account". and when you click the link it says your account is working fine.

This really frustrating that I cannot rely on this to limit screen time.

***Modified title from: Family Screen time***

:)

paulbloggs, Dec 17, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Family Activity Reporting

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the Family Activity Report shows excessive hours.

Most of the times the Family Activity Report is accurate. For activity reporting to work, check the privacy settings on your child’s device. Select the
    Start button, then select Settings > Privacy >
    Diagnostics & feedback and make sure the level is set to
    Enhanced
    or Full.

Ideally, any time a child is signed in, even if they are not actively participating, the games or apps that are being used will show up on their activity report.

I would suggest you to refer the section Common issues with activity reporting in the article

Troubleshooting family safety features in Windows 10
    by
    Daniel Strommen [MSFT] and see if that helps.

I would also suggest you to refer the article on
    Fix family activity reporting

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 17, 2019
  3. Family activity report

Hi Javier,

There are ways on how to manage activity reporting for your child. To configure your account settings, here are the steps:

• Go to the account.microsoft.com/family site at Microsoft on any PC
    • Then sign-in
    • Open Settings
    • Tap on the Accounts icon
    • Click on Family and other users on the left side
    • Chose Manage family settings online
    • Check recent activity link for the child's account

Turn On and Manage Activity Reporting for Child

• Click on Recent activity on the left side, and turn on Activity reporting.
    • Check or uncheck to Email weekly reports to me for what you want.
    • Under Web browsing, Apps and games etc., you can view your child's recent activity for each one, tap on Change settings
    • Then set allowed times to manage them, and to block any apps and games.

To Turn Off Activity Reporting for your Child, just tap on Recent activity on the left side, and turn off Activity reporting on the right side.

Get back to us if the steps won't work.

Marilou Ser, Dec 17, 2019
  4. chowbella Win User

Family activity report shows excess hours

Family Activity Reporting

Anyone have experience with family activity reporting? I'm trying to get an idea of how accurate it is. The hours seem excessive and while it may be real I was suspect with them because of such a high number on a given day (Thanksgiving) when I no there
    wasn't much usage and yet it's zero on other days.

chowbella, Dec 17, 2019
Thema:

Family activity report shows excess hours

1. Family activity report shows excess hours - Similar Threads - Family activity report

2. Family app does not report activity

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Family app does not report activity: I have setup my kids profile and have access to all the settings via Family app and also via the regular web based account setups. The activity tracking is enabled. But after first initial couple of weeks of activity reporting, there is no activity recorded/reported. I know...
  3. Family Safety - activity report showing way more hours than possible

Family Safety - activity report showing way more hours than possible: Hi, I recently set my son up with the microsoft family safety restrictions now while they work really well i have an issue - it appears to be calculating the time spent on things incorrectly - today for instance i have screen times set to 6am - 10pm with max scheduled...
  4. Microsoft Family - activity by hours

Microsoft Family - activity by hours: Hello, Recently I've configured Microsoft Family on two of my client kids computers. My client wants to see an hour by hour activity on children's accounts. For example, children are at an online school from 8am to 3pm. Client wants to know if they were for ex. playing at...
  5. Microsoft Family Safety Activity Report

Microsoft Family Safety Activity Report: Hello, I am having issues with Microsoft Family Safety Activity Report. One computer is not reporting any screen/app usage at all. Others using the same account do, but I am unable to get this one to work. I have tried many fixes from Microsoft and other sources...
  6. Family features activity reporting

Family features activity reporting: Hi! I am not able to get family features to show activity in web dashboard. I have tried everything I could find on the internet. Deleted parental folder contents in programdata, windows is up to date, verified all accounts on the computer, diagnostics data in windows is...
  7. Family Activity Reporting

Family Activity Reporting: Anyone have experience with family activity reporting? I'm trying to get an idea of how accurate it is. The hours seem excessive and while it may be real I was suspect with them because of such a high number on a given day (Thanksgiving) when I no there wasn't much usage...
  8. microsoft family not reporting activity

microsoft family not reporting activity: just recently set up Microsoft family, and it is not reporting activity to the parent's device. I have looked all day at forums and tried everything they suggest, yet there has been none to work. I have done these on both computers in the family. the screen time and app...
  9. Family Activity Reporting - Can't fix

Family Activity Reporting - Can't fix: I can not view my childs activity reports because "Your child needs to sign in again with their Microsoft account on their device for family features to work properly." However, the device that the sentence is referring to doesn't exist anymore and therefore my child can't...
  10. no reported activity on Microsoft Family

no reported activity on Microsoft Family: I cannot see any activity reporting when I log in Microsoft Family. I receive a message that ‘some settings on your child's device don't allow activity reporting’. It also ask me to ensure that the level for Diagnostic Data is set to Enhanced or Full. But, as I see, this...