Windows 10: Family Safety and seperated parents

Discus and support Family Safety and seperated parents in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Can someone detail what are the important issues two separated parents might have with using Family Safety to manage their children? My son 11, is... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by moozoo, Nov 12, 2018.

1. moozoo Win User

Family Safety and seperated parents

Can someone detail what are the important issues two separated parents might have with using Family Safety to manage their children?

My son 11, is getting a laptop for high school. He currently has a desktop at my place configured for Family Safety. His account is a child account under a family I setup.

The laptop is brand new and has not been setup. It will be going back and forth between households and he spends school days at both homes during the week.

What happens when I add my Ex as a second adult?

What access does she have to my information?

Can she remove my account as an adult? I found references to primary parent account, is that still at thing, how do I see that I'm it.

Can she approve purchases against my credit card?

Can she track the location of devices when the kids are with me?

I have to logon and create a profile on the machine using my account. Does she also need her account on it as an administrator? While protected by Windows 10 security is there anyway of not having my account/profile on the machine? Or at least forcing 2 factor auth on each login?

and so on....

I've not found an article describing this.

From

https://www.verywellfamily.com/children-of-divorce-in-america-statistics-1270390

"Of all children born to married parents this year, fifty percent will experience the divorce of their parents before they reach their 18th birthday."

So this is a very common issue, directly relates to Microsoft Family Safety and really needs something in the FAQ about it.

:)

moozoo, Nov 12, 2018
  2. Ian Ser Win User

Windows 10 Family Safety is blocking my browser!!!

Can you confirm if you are out of the Family Safety feature on your parent's account on this
    link? If you've confirmed that you're no longer on the list of monitored child accounts, we suggest deleting the Family Safety folder. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows key + E on your keyboard.
    • On the address bar, type this address C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls and press
      Enter.
    • Delete all contents of the Parental Controls folder.
    • Restart and see if the issue is resolved.

Let us know how it went for you.

Ian Ser, Nov 12, 2018
  3. Family Safety issues

Hi,

Microsoft family features (includes family safety features formerly known as
    Microsoft Family Safety), is a free set of features available on Windows 10 PC and Mobile that is bundled with the Windows 10 operating system.
    Please ensure that the parent email account is set as an administrator on the child's laptop. Once done, you may follow the steps below to properly manage the settings on the Family Safety website:

• On the Start screen, type Family Safety.
    • Click on Settings.
    • Click the Family Safety icon.
    • On the bottom part of the window, click Manage settings on the Family Safety website. Your default browser will direct you to the Family Safety website.
    • Sign in using the parent account.

For your reference, you may also check this article regarding Family Safety:
    Frequently Asked Questions.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Nov 12, 2018
  4. Klite Win User

Family Safety Issue - No "Parent"

So,

I just upgraded to Windows 10. Seemed fine.

Until restrictions were placed on various applications that prohibited me to use them.

I checked many websites, many forums, but none of them have the answer; except saying that it has to do with family safety.

I log in with my Microsoft account, and I click the Family settings.

(I only have one other user on this computer, and that's my brother.)

When I see "Who's in your family?" listing, there's only two.

Me, and my brother.

Both of us are listed as a "child," and not a parent.

I want to set it so that my account is a "parent."

How can you accomplish this, and is this possible with the situation I have?

Klite, Nov 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Family Safety and seperated parents - Similar Threads - Family Safety seperated

2. Will leaving a group in Microsoft Family Safety alert the parents of the group?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will leaving a group in Microsoft Family Safety alert the parents of the group?: If a member of the family who is over 13 leaves the group, will the parents be notified? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-leaving-a-group-in-microsoft-family-safety/1dabad29-0464-4cf4-9a9c-dab46cbf5589
  3. Will leaving a group in Microsoft Family Safety alert the parents of the group?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will leaving a group in Microsoft Family Safety alert the parents of the group?: If a member of the family who is over 13 leaves the group, will the parents be notified? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-leaving-a-group-in-microsoft-family-safety/1dabad29-0464-4cf4-9a9c-dab46cbf5589
  4. Family Safety after Parents has separated

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Family Safety after Parents has separated: Hello!Ok, so...2 Parents and 2 kids. During relationship both kids each had a stationary computer. Both Parents are Administators while the dad is the creator. if it mattersThe Parents separate and have their own place now. The 2 kids spend every other week at each parents...
  5. Family Safety after Parents has separated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family Safety after Parents has separated: Hello!Ok, so...2 Parents and 2 kids. During relationship both kids each had a stationary computer. Both Parents are Administators while the dad is the creator. if it mattersThe Parents separate and have their own place now. The 2 kids spend every other week at each parents...
  6. Family Safety after Parents has separated

7. Microsft Family Safety parents permit needed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsft Family Safety parents permit needed: Hello,I've encountered problem with Microsoft Family Safety, month back my dad bought new laptop with Windows 11 and logged into his account, immediately we discovered that by mistake he set his birthday in that way that he was under 18, so Windows required a parents permit...
  8. Microsft Family Safety parents permit needed

Microsft Family Safety parents permit needed: Hello,I've encountered problem with Microsoft Family Safety, month back my dad bought new laptop with Windows 11 and logged into his account, immediately we discovered that by mistake he set his birthday in that way that he was under 18, so Windows required a parents permit...
  9. Admin, not parent ,approving time in MS Family Safety

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Admin, not parent ,approving time in MS Family Safety: Hello, My teenage son is an admin on his laptop, but he is not a parent or organiser in MS Family Safety. My littlest boy 10yr has discovered that his older brother can approve additional time on his older brother's laptop because he is an admin on the machine. He eventually...
  10. Parental Controls and Family Safety in Education SKU

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Parental Controls and Family Safety in Education SKU: A comparison of the various editions of Windows 10 in Wikipedia says that neither Windows 10 Education nor Enterprise have the “Family Safety” feature set. I am running Education and at a first glance they don’t seem to be missing but I just wanted to check and see if I am...