Windows 10: Family Safety and seperated parents

Discus and support Family Safety and seperated parents in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Can someone detail what are the important issues two separated parents might have with using Family Safety to manage their children? My son 11, is... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by moozoo, Nov 12, 2018.

1. moozoo Win User

Family Safety and seperated parents

Can someone detail what are the important issues two separated parents might have with using Family Safety to manage their children?

My son 11, is getting a laptop for high school. He currently has a desktop at my place configured for Family Safety. His account is a child account under a family I setup.

The laptop is brand new and has not been setup. It will be going back and forth between households and he spends school days at both homes during the week.

What happens when I add my Ex as a second adult?

What access does she have to my information?

Can she remove my account as an adult? I found references to primary parent account, is that still at thing, how do I see that I'm it.

Can she approve purchases against my credit card?

Can she track the location of devices when the kids are with me?

I have to logon and create a profile on the machine using my account. Does she also need her account on it as an administrator? While protected by Windows 10 security is there anyway of not having my account/profile on the machine? Or at least forcing 2 factor auth on each login?

and so on....

I've not found an article describing this.

From

https://www.verywellfamily.com/children-of-divorce-in-america-statistics-1270390

"Of all children born to married parents this year, fifty percent will experience the divorce of their parents before they reach their 18th birthday."

So this is a very common issue, directly relates to Microsoft Family Safety and really needs something in the FAQ about it.

:)

moozoo, Nov 12, 2018
  2. Ian Ser Win User

Windows 10 Family Safety is blocking my browser!!!

Can you confirm if you are out of the Family Safety feature on your parent's account on this
    link? If you've confirmed that you're no longer on the list of monitored child accounts, we suggest deleting the Family Safety folder. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows key + E on your keyboard.
    • On the address bar, type this address C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls and press
      Enter.
    • Delete all contents of the Parental Controls folder.
    • Restart and see if the issue is resolved.

Let us know how it went for you.

Ian Ser, Nov 12, 2018
  3. Family Safety issues

Hi,

Microsoft family features (includes family safety features formerly known as
    Microsoft Family Safety), is a free set of features available on Windows 10 PC and Mobile that is bundled with the Windows 10 operating system.
    Please ensure that the parent email account is set as an administrator on the child's laptop. Once done, you may follow the steps below to properly manage the settings on the Family Safety website:

• On the Start screen, type Family Safety.
    • Click on Settings.
    • Click the Family Safety icon.
    • On the bottom part of the window, click Manage settings on the Family Safety website. Your default browser will direct you to the Family Safety website.
    • Sign in using the parent account.

For your reference, you may also check this article regarding Family Safety:
    Frequently Asked Questions.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Nov 12, 2018
  4. Klite Win User

Family Safety Issue - No "Parent"

So,

I just upgraded to Windows 10. Seemed fine.

Until restrictions were placed on various applications that prohibited me to use them.

I checked many websites, many forums, but none of them have the answer; except saying that it has to do with family safety.

I log in with my Microsoft account, and I click the Family settings.

(I only have one other user on this computer, and that's my brother.)

When I see "Who's in your family?" listing, there's only two.

Me, and my brother.

Both of us are listed as a "child," and not a parent.

I want to set it so that my account is a "parent."

How can you accomplish this, and is this possible with the situation I have?

Klite, Nov 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Family Safety and seperated parents - Similar Threads - Family Safety seperated

2. Is Family Safety gone in Windows 10?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Is Family Safety gone in Windows 10?: I am changing my kids over from a Windows 8 computer to a Windows 10 computer. It won't allow me to add my kids with a local account rather than a Microsoft account and also control what they have access to. I do not want them to have email or a Microsoft account. I can...
  3. Family Safety Monitor Running for no Reason?

Family Safety Monitor Running for no Reason?: After installing Windows 10 build 18343, I found an unidentified icon in the task tray which I figured to be the Family Safety Monitor through Task Manager. I have not set up a family, been apart of one or touched it at all. In my 'Devices' on the Microsoft website, it also...
  4. Family Safety.

Family Safety.: I just got my daughter a laptop and added her to my family on Microsoft. How do I change the names of the computers on my account so I can set time limits on just her computer and not mine? The names currently associated with the computers are a bunch of letters and numbers...
  5. Family Safety

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Family Safety: I logged on to a friend's Xbox account using my own Microsoft account. Without realizing it, I opted into his Family Safety as a child. Now my work computer (using same Microsoft account) is limited by his account. How do I remove myself from his account without parental...
  6. Family Safety on when it shouldn't be

Family Safety on when it shouldn't be: Ever since I updated to windows 10 I've been having troubles with the Family Safety options. Things like youtube videos and other things like that are blocked, and locked that way. I am the administrator account and the adult (as well as the only one on this computer). I also...
  7. Family safety offline alternative

Family safety offline alternative: I would like a family safety alternative that works offline in windows it need to able do all that windows 8 version did which includes: Time limits(how long child can spend and what hours they can use the computer and extra time can be give by admins) Desktop app...
  8. Win10 Family safety: Notifications

Win10 Family safety: Notifications: Hi, I have set up a child account with limits on time used on. So far so good, but can there be any kind of indication of time left? IE a counter, a report by mail every ½ hour used or similar? In case not, can anyone recommend another piece of software, with indication...
  9. Family safety monitor stopped working

Family safety monitor stopped working: Am assuming this is an MS Server side issue but tonight my two children logged into their accounts on the PC. They have child accounts. Absolutely no issues using the machine, browsing etc. I then logged back into my main acc after. As I was checking a few things I went into...
  10. Family Safety Screen Time

Family Safety Screen Time: I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10. I created new Microsoft accounts for my kids and added those accounts to the child accounts in Windows 10. The problem is that the Family Safety screen time that was configured on the Microsoft website are not being enforced on the...