Windows 10: Family Safety - can i convert a family account to a local, standard account

Discus and support Family Safety - can i convert a family account to a local, standard account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi All, I use Microsoft Family Safety, child account and I would like to know if it is possible to convert this family account to a local account... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by TeddRoy, Nov 9, 2020.

1. TeddRoy Win User

Family Safety - can i convert a family account to a local, standard account

Hi All,

I use Microsoft Family Safety, child account and I would like to know if it is possible to convert this family account to a local account without any change in settings or files: a seamless transition, because the account is being used for both schoolwork and for online school, so any change in settings might be a disturbance.

Thank You

:)

TeddRoy, Nov 9, 2020

2. Merge the local accounts in Family Safety

Hi Raider,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will be glad to help you.

It appears that the Child account has been configured incorrectly and I suggest you to remove the Family Safety and configure it again.

Refer below articles for more information.

How do I remove Family Safety?

How to set up Family Safety?

Note : The troubleshooting steps in the above links are meant for windows 8, however, you can use the same for windows 10 as well.

Try changing the Account type from Administrator account to Standard account from
    user account settings by logging into the parent account. In Standard account, it will prompt for the Administrator password if the user try to make any settings changes.

Also review:

Family Safety: Frequently Asked Questions

Family Safety features

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thank you.

Vinodh Kumar V, Nov 9, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Convert online Microsoft Azure account to local account?

Unfortunately, you cannot switch an Azure AD account to a local or Microsoft account. You need to create a new user account first, make it an admin account, then disconnect from your organizational account, restart and sign in to new local account.

All software remains installed and intact but all user specific customizations and settings are lost, new local user starting from scratch with default settings.

The whole process step by step:

1.) Copy your personal data (documents, images etc.) from current Azure AD user profile folder to respective folders in C:\Users\Public

2.) In Settings > Accounts > Other people, add a new local user (see Option One in this tutorial) and change it's account type to Administrator (tutorial)

3.) Check that everything is correct, that you will see your Azure AD account under Work or school users (yellow highlight), and your new local admin account under Other people (blue highlight):

Family Safety - can i convert a family account to a local, standard account [​IMG]

4.) Select Access work or school on left pane, select the connected Azure AD domain, click Disconnect:

Family Safety - can i convert a family account to a local, standard account [​IMG]

5.) Click Yes:

6.) Click Disconnect:

7.) Enter the username and password for your new local admin account, click OK:

8.) Click Restart now:

9.) When back on desktop with your new local admin account, move personal data from Public folder and its subfolders you backed up in step 1 above to respective subfolders on new user profile folder. If the old Azure AD user profile folder is still present in Users folder, it can be deleted now.

That's it.

Kari, Nov 9, 2020
  4. udon888 Win User

Windows 10 Family Safety my child was able to convert his windows 10 account from Microsoft account to local account.

<Original Title: Windows 10 Family Safety>

My child was able to convert his windows 10 account from Microsoft account to local account and circumvent all of the family safety restriction.

Is there a way to prevent that?

udon888, Nov 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Family Safety - can i convert a family account to a local, standard account - Similar Threads - Family Safety convert

2. Convert Admin level user account in Win11 to Family Safety child account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert Admin level user account in Win11 to Family Safety child account: My young son is the sole user of a computer that was set up under his email address. The account is set up as the main admin user. No other user accounts on the device. A need has emerged to more closely monitor and limit use. Is there a way for parents to elegantly convert...
  3. Convert Admin level user account in Win11 to Family Safety child account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert Admin level user account in Win11 to Family Safety child account: My young son is the sole user of a computer that was set up under his email address. The account is set up as the main admin user. No other user accounts on the device. A need has emerged to more closely monitor and limit use. Is there a way for parents to elegantly convert...
  4. Include local account in Family Safety?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Include local account in Family Safety?: My kid uses a local account on a Windows 10 laptop. How do I include that account in Family Safety? Or is there a way to move all of his settings and data from the local account to a Microsoft account?...
  5. Include local account in Family Safety?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Include local account in Family Safety?: My kid uses a local account on a Windows 10 laptop. How do I include that account in Family Safety? Or is there a way to move all of his settings and data from the local account to a Microsoft account?...
  6. Include local account in Family Safety?

7. Family Safety Pop-Up Showing On A Non-Family Safety Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family Safety Pop-Up Showing On A Non-Family Safety Account: Hello, I like to make a report about this bug I encountered. This bug happens when I open a Windows app for example the Microsoft Store. I am supposing this is something that was set for my son. Anyway, this is very annoying. With this bug,I can't even do my work. Also, my...
  8. Family Safety Pop-Up Showing On A Non-Family Safety Account

Family Safety Pop-Up Showing On A Non-Family Safety Account: Hello, I like to make a report about this bug I encountered. This bug happens when I open a Windows app for example the Microsoft Store. I am supposing this is something that was set for my son. Anyway, this is very annoying. With this bug,I can't even do my work. Also, my...
  9. Family linked user account - Standard

Family linked user account - Standard: I 'blocked' my sons' account temporarily. Attempting to bring it back, through Family settings, it shows as 'can sign in', allowed, however, his login option does not appear when trying to switch users. I have rebooted the system as well. I found a suggestion for an mmc...
  10. Convert Local User Account to Family Account

Convert Local User Account to Family Account: My son has a local account on his Windows 10 Pro computer with all sorts of customizations that he likes in place. I need to convert that account to a CHILD family account. I was able to change my administrative account to my ADULT family account but when I try to do the...