Windows 10: Family Safety Screen Time Limits: Setting Custom Extension Times

Discus and support Family Safety Screen Time Limits: Setting Custom Extension Times in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Our family uses Family Safety to limit screen time. We block access at all times so that we have to authorize screen time any time my son wants to use... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by dansu1, May 10, 2020.

1. dansu1 Win User

Family Safety Screen Time Limits: Setting Custom Extension Times

Our family uses Family Safety to limit screen time. We block access at all times so that we have to authorize screen time any time my son wants to use the PC. When we give him permission to watch we have options like 15 mins, 30 mins, 1 hour, 2 hours, etc.. When he runs out of screen time we have the option to extend that time. Again the options are things like 15 mins, 30 mins, 1 hour, 2 hours, etc..

I would like to be able to extend his screen time by 1 minute or 5 minutes only. Is it possible for me to extend his screen time by something other than the preset values of 15 mins, 30 mins, 1 hour, 2 hours, etc.?

:)

dansu1, May 10, 2020

2. time limits in family not working

Hi Barbara,

We would like to know more details about your concern about the Family Safety time limit that is not working so we can better assist you. Kindly answer the following:

• Does it happen only with particular child account?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we would suggest that you refer to this
    support link
    on how to set up screen time limits for your child.

We look forward to your response.

Marilou Ser, May 10, 2020
  3. Family Safety screen time stuck on old settings

• I set up family safety settings under windows 8.
    • Configured screen time options to for only daytime, so as to prevent my son from using the computer too early or too late in the day.
    • I've upgraded the computer to Windows 10 (live update, not a fresh install).
    • Now I want to change the screen time settings for my son. Nothing I have attempted (short of clean install of Windows) has worked.
      • Changing time settings doesn't work
      • Turning off Screen Time doesn't help
      • Removing/Adding his account from family safety doesn't help
      • Removing/Adding the computer from family safety doesn't help
    • I don't see a Windows Family Safety service running on the machine, which is odd.
    • I really don't want to do a fresh Windows install.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Noyabronok1, May 10, 2020
  4. Family Safety Screen Time Limits: Setting Custom Extension Times

Family Safety- Inaccurate Screen time extension usage

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community.

We understand the frustration when things don't go the way they supposed to. Let me assist you to resolve the issue.

From the description provided, I understand that the screen time usage is inaccurate for the child account/s you are referring to.

Please follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

Now, as an initial recommendation, I suggest you to view and check the family settings for the child by signing in to the Microsoft account using a browser.

Account security and Online safety.

https://account.microsoft.com/privacy

You may change the More security settings under account security and
    family safety settings/Manage permissions for children under Online safety in the above link.

In another scenario, these three questions might help you to identify on the issue.

1) How does the child ask for an extension?

2) How does the parent provide an extension?

3) What is the number of hours allowed for that given day when you login as a parent associated to the family?

Method 2

If it still does not help, I suggest you to remove the child account from your Microsoft Family Safety settings and check if it is the Family Safety feature which is preventing the child account to access Office products.

Follow the below steps.

• From a web browser, go to
      http://account.microsoft.com/family
      and sign in with the Microsoft account of an adult in the family.

• To remove a child, choose Remove at the top of the section labeled
      Select a child to view or edit their settings.
    • Select the person you want to remove from the family
    • Select the Remove button that appears when you've chosen the person to remove.
    Ref: How do I turn off family features?

Method 3

• Open the File Explorer, navigate to the location:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls
    • Inside the Parental Controls folder, delete all contents including any files and folders.
    • Sign out and then sign in again to re-build the setting data.

Additionally, I also suggest you to visit to the below link on Family Safety

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/family

Refer to the section Set limits for your child.

Also refer to the section 'How can I tell if the Family Safety service is connected to my PC and set up correctly?' in the article provided.

Family Safety: Frequently Asked Questions

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...uestions/5672f7b2-e3c0-498a-9a6c-c9cab39f68e5

Please write to us with the updated information for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, May 10, 2020
Thema:

Family Safety Screen Time Limits: Setting Custom Extension Times

1. Family Safety Screen Time Limits: Setting Custom Extension Times - Similar Threads - Family Safety Screen

2. Family Safety time limit not enforced

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Family Safety time limit not enforced: Hi,we are using the Family Safety on Windows 11; for a couple of monthes it did work properly; nowt the child account linked to the app is not obeying time limits when they are used up.For example, yesterday the limit was where he could only use the Computer until 21.00pm ;...
  3. Family Safety time limit not enforced

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family Safety time limit not enforced: Hi,we are using the Family Safety on Windows 11; for a couple of monthes it did work properly; nowt the child account linked to the app is not obeying time limits when they are used up.For example, yesterday the limit was where he could only use the Computer until 21.00pm ;...
  4. Family safety time limit not limiting time?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family safety time limit not limiting time?: I've set a 30min limit on Saturday and Sundays for my son but he is able to carry on for longer without the limit stopping him. How do I make it work?...
  5. Family safety time limit not limiting time?

Family safety time limit not limiting time?: I've set a 30min limit on Saturday and Sundays for my son but he is able to carry on for longer without the limit stopping him. How do I make it work?...
  6. Setting screen time limits on a group of apps in Family Safety

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting screen time limits on a group of apps in Family Safety: HelloI have set up screen time using Family Safety to limit the amount of time my son spends on games. However, he has a number of different games installed and it seems that I need to set up separate limits for them, e.g. set up a 2 hour limit on game1, then set up a 2 hour...
  7. Setting screen time limits on a group of apps in Family Safety

Setting screen time limits on a group of apps in Family Safety: HelloI have set up screen time using Family Safety to limit the amount of time my son spends on games. However, he has a number of different games installed and it seems that I need to set up separate limits for them, e.g. set up a 2 hour limit on game1, then set up a 2 hour...
  8. Setting screen time limits on a group of apps in Family Safety

in User Accounts and Family Safety
  9. Family safety screen time limits not working

Family safety screen time limits not working: Hi CommunityI have a problem with Microsoft 365 screen time limits. Can anyone suggest a fix?My children are in my family group, and they are set up with limits across all devices. The limits work on the Xbox and a laptop computer, but on another desktop computer they have no...
  10. Setting Family Safety time limit suddenly not working

Setting Family Safety time limit suddenly not working: In the past few days, I have had a problem changing the time limit for devices. I use this feature a lot, so I'm fairly familiar with it. I have had no problems with this before so something changed recently.When I go to modify the slider for the time, and click Done, the...