Windows 10: Family Settings are limited to... monitoring "health"?

Discus and support Family Settings are limited to... monitoring "health"? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a 7 year-old step son. He's quite bright, but doesn't always make the right decisions. I'm trying to set up a Microsoft Account for him so that... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Tesagk, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Tesagk Win User

Family Settings are limited to... monitoring "health"?

I have a 7 year-old step son. He's quite bright, but doesn't always make the right decisions. I'm trying to set up a Microsoft Account for him so that he can log into the Surface that I have. However, I really need to lock down what he can do tightly, from what sites he can visit (which is more of a Chrome thing) to what apps he can use and, importantly, making sure he can't install other apps.

However, when I went to "Family Settings" it opened up my browser and gave me a page where, when I clicked "Manage Permissions" all there was was a grayed out toggle for "Allow adults in the family to monitor..."

What gives? Does Microsoft truly believe that these are the limits to what permissions I can grant to my child's account? Somehow, I doubt that. So I'm clearly missing something....

:)

Tesagk, Oct 2, 2017

2. Issues with using Family Safety on Windows 10 and child device is not monitored by parent account.

Hi Joe,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if monitor the child device activity is disabled in the Family Safety.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided in the Microsoft Help Article about setting up Family Safety account and how to configure the child limits.

Set up your family:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/set-up-family#set-up-family=windows-10

Set the right limits for your child:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/set-child-limits

Monitor your child's device use with activity reports:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/monitor-child-device-activity

Please get back to us with an update on issue with configuring child account in the Family Safety, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 2, 2017
  3. David Haz Win User
    My son is able to bypass the PC screen time limit on Windows 10

It could be that the Child account invitation was not accepted by the user. Until they accept the invitation to the family, they would be able to sign-in without any family settings, limitations, restrictions, or monitoring applied to
    their account.

David Haz, Oct 2, 2017
  4. Tesagk Win User

p.s. Tried opening Chrome as him. Needs permission... perfect. Except, when I click on "allow" in the email, it brings me to a Microsoft account page with no obvious approval process. Clicking the allow link does not give the permission.

Tesagk, Oct 2, 2017
Thema:

1. Family Settings are limited to... monitoring "health"? - Similar Threads - Family Settings are

2. Family safety time limit not limiting time?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family safety time limit not limiting time?: I've set a 30min limit on Saturday and Sundays for my son but he is able to carry on for longer without the limit stopping him. How do I make it work?...
  3. Family safety time limit not limiting time?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Family safety time limit not limiting time?: I've set a 30min limit on Saturday and Sundays for my son but he is able to carry on for longer without the limit stopping him. How do I make it work?...
  4. Microsoft Family not reinforcing the time limit that is set on a device.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Family not reinforcing the time limit that is set on a device.: Microsoft Family is saying my son is has used his computer for 5 hours today although I have set the limit for today as 3 hours. It shows how long he has been using it so apparently it is tracking his use on the computer. Why is it not enforcing the time limit?...
  5. Microsoft Family not reinforcing the time limit that is set on a device.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Family not reinforcing the time limit that is set on a device.: Microsoft Family is saying my son is has used his computer for 5 hours today although I have set the limit for today as 3 hours. It shows how long he has been using it so apparently it is tracking his use on the computer. Why is it not enforcing the time limit?...
  6. Setting screen time limits on a group of apps in Family Safety

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting screen time limits on a group of apps in Family Safety: HelloI have set up screen time using Family Safety to limit the amount of time my son spends on games. However, he has a number of different games installed and it seems that I need to set up separate limits for them, e.g. set up a 2 hour limit on game1, then set up a 2 hour...
  7. Family Safety Limits

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Family Safety Limits: HiMy son has screen time set to two hours on his family safety - yet yesterday he managed to get 6h 31m! How is he managing to extend his time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/family-safety-limits/73f2811c-d1dc-473b-a3b3-53cef39c653d
  8. Setting Family Safety time limit suddenly not working

Setting Family Safety time limit suddenly not working: In the past few days, I have had a problem changing the time limit for devices. I use this feature a lot, so I'm fairly familiar with it. I have had no problems with this before so something changed recently.When I go to modify the slider for the time, and click Done, the...
  9. Family settings app and game limits unable to read a device

Family settings app and game limits unable to read a device: Hi there, I have set up a child account and am trying and trying to set limits for apps through online family settings. The overall screen time limits seem to be working, but in the 'app and game limits' tab our device is marked red with an exclamation mark. When hovering...
  10. Way around Microsoft Family Setting time limits

Way around Microsoft Family Setting time limits: Hi, My 11 yo son saved his allowance, birthday presents, etc. for months and months and used it to buy a new desktop computer to play games on, rather than on my old laptop. We mostly I built it from components and I set up his Microsoft account on it as an admin....