Windows 10: Family Settings - Start Menu Bypasses

Discus and support Family Settings - Start Menu Bypasses in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi All, I have an issue where I have blocked an app on my kids laptops and it works properly when they try to access it from the pinned app on the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Gaffers10, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Gaffers10 Win User

Family Settings - Start Menu Bypasses

Hi All,

I have an issue where I have blocked an app on my kids laptops and it works properly when they try to access it from the pinned app on the taskbar - it brings up a blocked message. However, when they access the app from the Windows Menu, it opens as usual - bypassing the family controls. Both laptops are completely up to date with updates.

:)

Gaffers10, Apr 28, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Bypass Family Settings by conversion to Local Account

It was faster as I expected, the test confirmed my theory was right. Doing this your kid has absolutely no way to switch to a local account and leave the MS Family:

1.) Start as told earlier, creating the Child account as a Family account
    2.) Sign the Child once in to Windows, sign out and back in to your admin account
    3.) Press Win + R to open the Run dialog, type netplwiz and hit Enter to launch the advanced user control panel
    4.) Select the Child account, click Properties:

Family Settings - Start Menu Bypasses [​IMG]

5.) Change the Child account's user group from Users to Guests:

Family Settings - Start Menu Bypasses [​IMG]

6.) Close the Properties, close advanced user control panel

That's it. Users in Guest group cannot open and use the Settings app, therefore they cannot change the account type (switch to a local account).

Pros:
    • User cannot change any settings, not even open the Settings app
    • User can still download and install desktop software but when doing so, the PC admin credentials will be asked
    Cons:
    • To change any settings, an admin user must first change the Child's usergroup back to Users, sign in to Child account, change the required setting, sign out from the Child account, and finally set the user back to Guests group
    • To download and install anything from the Windows Store, an admin user must first change the Child's usergroup back to Users, sign in to Child account, download and install software from the Windows Store, sign out from the Child account, and finally set the user back to Guests group
    • OneDrive Desktop sync does not work on Guest accounts. To download, open or upload files in Onedrive the user must use a browser

3. DQL
    DQL Win User

Thanks Kari.

I copied their User folders so I could restore them later.
    I deleted their accounts on the computer.
    I removed them from my Microsoft Account "Family" online, to "start from scratch".
    I went to "Settings" on my PC and added them as a child account.
    I logged into their email and accepted the Family request.
    I then logged into their new child account. Before restoring their User folders.

Guess what? They can still log in with a local account.

This "local account" option that lets them bypass child controls so easily seems to be sticky. As if it is stored with the Microsoft Account. That I needed to create in Windows10. To enable child settings control.

I guess nobody at Microsoft thought of the use-case of somebody upgrading from Windows7 to Windows10 with EXISTING child accounts.

What would you suggest now? Create NEW, DIFFERENT Microsoft accounts using other garbage emails?

4. DQL
    DQL Win User

I just upgraded all my computers to Windows 10.

My 15 year old is clever enough to bypass the (new) Family settings controlled Microsoft Account I just set up for him by converting the account to a local account. This seems to let him play as long as he wants, without time restrictions. I didn't get an email about this, or any other notification. This is the second time he has done it.

Why is it so easy to completely bypass all the family safety settings it took me hours(!) to finally get set up?

Also the Family Recent Activity shown on my Microsoft Account web site doesn't seem to update itself. It is at least two or three days behind, perhaps more. How often does Recent Activity update? Is it supposed to be near instantaneous?

Thema:

1. Family Settings - Start Menu Bypasses - Similar Threads - Family Settings Start

2. Microsoft Family Safety Bypassed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Family Safety Bypassed: My kids figured out how to bypass/crash family safety time limits, app block , install application they want etc. They seem to be using "op autoclicker" some sort of auto mouse clicker, they set it up so the mouse auto clicks multiple times on a blocked app or something or...
  3. Microsoft Family Safety Bypassed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Family Safety Bypassed: My kids figured out how to bypass/crash family safety time limits, app block , install application they want etc. They seem to be using "op autoclicker" some sort of auto mouse clicker, they set it up so the mouse auto clicks multiple times on a blocked app or something or...
  4. Microsoft family safety bypassed

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft family safety bypassed: My kids figured out how to bypass family safety time limits, app block etc. They seem to be using "op autoclicker" some sort of auto mouse clicker, they set it up so the mouse auto clicks multiple times on a blocked app or something or maybe a window that pops asking for more...
  5. Microsoft Family Safety Bypassed

Microsoft Family Safety Bypassed: My child was able to bypass the Microsoft family safety settings. I have Google Chrome blocked for my child's account. This block used to work fine. However, today he was able to bypass this block and was able to open Google Chrome even though it shows blocked in the...
  6. Start Menu and Settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu and Settings: My laptop has had this problem for about a week but i got by without it being a pain until today. When I click on the Start button or search icon on my taskbar nothing happens. I also tried following an online tutorial made by BT which says to go into task manager and run a...
  7. Start menu and settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start menu and settings: Hi , i recently upgraded my windows 10 version from 1903 to 1909 with update assistant. I got to the point where the update asks you whether to upgrade now or later and choose later. i later on restarted to upgrade (which was incredibly faster than normal updates) but then...
  8. Microsoft Family internet bypass

Microsoft Family internet bypass: My child is accessing the internet unrestricted. Through apps that are rated E but are search engines. Like uSearch and Search-Hub. How can i set it for them to only get apps i approve of. Thats a huge breach....
  9. Bypass Family Settings by conversion to Local Account

Bypass Family Settings by conversion to Local Account: I just upgraded all my computers to Windows 10. My 15 year old is clever enough to bypass the (new) Family settings controlled Microsoft Account I just set up for him by converting the account to a local account. This seems to let him play as long as he wants, without time...
  10. start menu settings

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu settings: is it possible to change the start menu settings for the number of items in the jump menus? when i go into the taskbar and navigation menu through the control panel, i don't get a tab to switch to the start menu's settings. 44421