Windows 10: Fan runs full speed on waking from sleep or during sleep

Discus and support Fan runs full speed on waking from sleep or during sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; New Asus Zen AIO ZN242GD only in service since early January 2020. Since the January 28, 2020 KB4532695 cumulative update, when the PC goes to sleep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by HailedCrowd8041, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Fan runs full speed on waking from sleep or during sleep

New Asus Zen AIO ZN242GD only in service since early January 2020. Since the January 28, 2020 KB4532695 cumulative update, when the PC goes to sleep for an extended period of time a few hours to overnight the cooling fan will either start running full speed while it is still asleep or immediately on waking up. It will then continue to run loudly uninterrupted for hours until the PC is completely shut down and rebooted a "restart" doesn't work for this- fan still keeps running.

I have checked Task Manager and can't identify any high-use culprits for CPU, memory, or disk access. In fact, even while the fan is running full speed the CPU usage usually reads 0-2% and no disk access is registering; RAM usually at its normal level of about 20%.

I have done regular and elevated scans with Norton looking for any malware; nothing found. I have had no actual alerts from Norton.

The only thing I can possibly correlate to this behavior is found in the Norton 360 history log not an alert, where I generally find that at approximately the point where the fan started running on high Norton blocked access to an app and generated the "Unauthorized Access Blocked Access Process Data medium severity event shortly before the fan started running high. This was happening with Asus Live Update, which I disabled to no effect; the last two times it happened it was with MS Office Click To Run; before that it was with Windows Defender MSMPENG.exe. I have disabled all Startup Apps and non-windows services, which hasn't helped.

I did just find a non-critical BIOS update to 307 from 305 on the Asus website, which I applied. Haven't had time to test yet since this only happens after the PC is asleep for quite a while.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I start down the road of looking into hardware issues. Thanks very much for reading.

:)

HailedCrowd8041, Feb 16, 2020

2. Fan runs in sleep

Need some help troubleshooting a problem that stated since I upgraded from Win7 Pro x64 to Win10. Basically, my PC fans run at what seems like full speed constantly, even in sleep. Occasionally, they'll stop for a short time, say 30 minutes, but then just
    start up again. CPU is at 0-3%, memory is 15% and disk is 0-1% but still the fans are running at almost full speed.

MichaelGerbasio, Feb 16, 2020
  3. Killianss Win User
    Fans Run after sleep mode

Hi, is it normal in Windows 10 for a laptop fan to still run after putting the device to sleep?

This is using the power button or sleep button from the start menu.

This is on a Dell 5520 and an XPS 7390, does anyone happen to know?

Also is it possible to see what could possibly be waking a laptop up from sleep?

Thanks

Killianss, Feb 16, 2020
  4. Fan runs full speed on waking from sleep or during sleep

Sleep / Wake Function, malfunctions after waking

Hi,

Issues that arise after waking up the PC from sleep mode might have been caused by a software conflict or system file corruption. For us to clarify the issue, we would like to ask these questions:

• What is the exact issue that you are experiencing?
    • Did you notice any recent system changes prior to this issue?
    • Have you encountered any error message?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

If you are having issues waking your PC from sleep, we suggest running the
    Power troubleshooter
    as an initial troubleshooting. Kindly follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Troubleshoot, and then press Enter.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, click on Power.
    • Click on Run the troubleshooter button.
    • Follow the onscreen guide.

We will wait for your response.

Janeane Cru, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

Fan runs full speed on waking from sleep or during sleep

1. Fan runs full speed on waking from sleep or during sleep - Similar Threads - Fan runs full

2. fan stops working after it wakes from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fan stops working after it wakes from sleep: I have asus f17 laptop and my fan isint working when i wake it up from sleep.I have to restart it when this happens.The fan again works as normal after restart...
  3. fan stops working after it wakes from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    fan stops working after it wakes from sleep: I have asus f17 laptop and my fan isint working when i wake it up from sleep.I have to restart it when this happens.The fan again works as normal after restart...
  4. fans started working on full speed in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    fans started working on full speed in sleep mode: hello everyone,i usually put my laptop in sleep mode because i have to use it everyday.so as usual my laptop was in sleep mode and suddenly fans started working at full speed.when i turned lid up,LED on power button was on but there was nothing on screen.then i hold on the...
  5. fans started working on full speed in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fans started working on full speed in sleep mode: hello everyone,i usually put my laptop in sleep mode because i have to use it everyday.so as usual my laptop was in sleep mode and suddenly fans started working at full speed.when i turned lid up,LED on power button was on but there was nothing on screen.then i hold on the...
  6. fans started working on full speed in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Laptop Fan Turns Full Speed when Sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop Fan Turns Full Speed when Sleep: I noticed my new laptop, Dell Inspiron 5301, turns its fan on at full speed when put to sleep. Turns out, this issue is not specific to my laptop, my friend with an HP laptop also does this. I reached out to Dell Tech Support, they replied to me that this is totally normal...
  8. PC wakes from sleep during the night

in Windows 10 Support
    PC wakes from sleep during the night: My pc have been waking from sleep, usually just minutes after putting it to sleep. Is there an easy way to figure out what device is causing it from the lastwake below, without having to go through the device manager? Because I looked there but can't find it. Alternatively,...
  9. fan is running at full speed

in Windows 10 Customization
    fan is running at full speed: I have a problem with a fan because it is running at full speed all the time. It is an old problem which I am unable to fix. I think the OS cannot detect the hardware and force the fan to run at full speed. It is Dell Precision T3500, Windows 10, ver. 10.0.17763. I...
  10. will not wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    will not wake from sleep: I have a 4 yr old custom built desktop upgraded from Win 7 pro to Win 10 pro about 8 months ago. Up until two weeks ago the sleep/wake up has worked perfect. Now the unit will not wake from sleep. I have tried everything I have seen and nothing has worked. It has to be booted...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. asus fans run full speed on wake