Windows 10: Fans of GPU at FULL SPEED

Discus and support Fans of GPU at FULL SPEED in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi all, I did a clean install of windows 10 about 2 months ago. Everything was fine till all of a sudden I came home one day and found my GPUs fan... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by hostelo, Jan 12, 2018.

1. hostelo Win User

Fans of GPU at FULL SPEED

Hi all,

I did a clean install of windows 10 about 2 months ago.
    Everything was fine till all of a sudden I came home one day and found my GPUs fan at full blast making some real good noise.

Turned off the computer, checked the card, cleaned it (pressurized air) and put it back in and same problem persists.
    It did not feel hot so this is very weird. It seems to be a Windows 10 issue because the card is working fine except the fans are at full blast always.

Here is a pic of the GPU info....look at those fan rpms!!
    Also attaching a log file if this helps.

Please help!!

Thanks

Fans of GPU at FULL SPEED [​IMG]

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

:)

hostelo, Jan 12, 2018
  2. BossDweeb Win User

Fan speed problems on ASUS ux501 (Windows 10)

"Turned on passive mode... So this makes trottling"

The gpu temperature monitor shows the temps are too high (Nvidia gpu's usually don't throttle below 100C ) ?

Do you have the Nvidia card set to 'prefer maximum performance' in Nivida Control Panel ?

(Not good for battery charge, but the better option when plugged in and running games ).

I don't have a laptop, but would think that using passive mode may lead to this 0 - 100 fan speed .

Is there another more aggressive speed mode you can use ?

I've had graphics cards in the past that came with profiles that were meant to be quiet, and they were if you

didn't stress the gpu, but this meant the fan speed curve held back on the fan speed too long, which leads to frequent

cycling up and down' of the fan speed when the card is working hard. Very annoying, and inefficient for cooling

under full load.

In this instance a fan speed control software will allow you to create your own custom fan speed profile

to force the fan to run faster at a lower temp.

A lot of recent desktop gpu's keep the fan's off when the card is not being stressed, but I wouldn't have thought

that a laptop would do this, as they are notorious for running hot.

BossDweeb, Jan 12, 2018
  3. AnD4D Win User
    GPU Problems since WIN10 update

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the PSU is more than enough for the GPU I'm using.

I installed SpeedFan as you suggested, but all is does is show me speeds and temperatures. It doesn't allow me to control anything. My Computer fans are controlled using a switch on the case, and are now set to high (usually only needed low speed). SpeedFan
    just shows the GPU as one single fan, rather than the dual fan setup it current has.

I added the GPU Tweaker 2 manually to the startup folder, and it load up now, turning on the fans. However, I'm still in the position where as soon as the GPU temperature hits around the 30 degree mark, one of the fan speeds maxes out. At this point, when
    I manually change the fan, I can hear the second fan speeding up or slowing down based on my changes, but fan 1 has a mind of its own.

AnD4D, Jan 12, 2018
  4. Fans of GPU at FULL SPEED

Windows has no direct control over the GPU fans but it's possible that the graphics drivers got updated. You can check your Windows Updates history to see if a driver got updated around the time the noise started.

Did you check to make sure the fan cables and connectors on the card were clean and plugged in all the way? Do you hear the fans ramp up all the way once you turn on the machine or does it take some time?

PolarNettles, Jan 12, 2018
  5. hostelo Win User
    Thanks for the reply

Driver was not updated....I did uninstall it right now and Windows did a auto install of drivers

Card connectors were clean and plugged in all the way....just double checked

Fan ramps up all the way as soon as I turn on the machine.

hostelo, Jan 12, 2018
  6. What is the exact manufacturer and model of the card? Does the manufacturer have a utility that lets you see the temperature and/or control the fan speed (in case GPU-Z isn't accurate)?

7. One reason I turn off my PC when I leave the house.

Josey Wales, Jan 12, 2018
  8. Fans of GPU at FULL SPEED

Try to use a latest version of the driver. I am pretty sure the controller is now shot.

RoasterMen, Jan 12, 2018
  9. hostelo Win User
    ATI Radeon HD 5770

Dont know if there is a utility for it

I have downloaded
    Catalyst 15.7.1 & Graphics Driver Installer for Windows 10 64-Bit

hostelo, Jan 12, 2018
  10. Geosammy Win User
    You might be able to use Open Hardware Monitor.
    To manually change the fan speed.
    I'm not sure if it will works with your ATI Radeon HD 5770 GPU, but I know it works with my GPU.
    Here's a screenshot of it on my system.
    With the fan controls open.

Geosammy, Jan 12, 2018
  11. It looks like the Catalyst Control Center should let you control the fan speed. Look around there to see if anything helps.

12. hostelo Win User
    Tried this. Found it.
    Move it to 20% (lowest) click apply. Nothing happens/changes.
    Move it to 100% click apply. Nothing happens/changes.
    Move it to 50% click apply. Nothing happens/changes.

hostelo, Jan 12, 2018
  13. hostelo Win User

Tried this too
    GPU shows up and controls too....but same as with the AMD software....I move the fan speeds but nothing happens.
    It stays at full blast

hostelo, Jan 12, 2018
  14. hostelo Win User
    had the latest driver installed when the problem showed up

uninstalled this one...... windows 10 installed one.....erased that one.....reinstalled the latest one they have for this card

nothing

hostelo, Jan 12, 2018
  15. Sounds like the fan controller or fan itself is busted then. You could try replacing the fan but for a card that old I figure it's just time to get a new card.

Thema:

1. Fans of GPU at FULL SPEED - Similar Threads - Fans GPU FULL

2. Blue screen occurs when changing fan speed to full speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screen occurs when changing fan speed to full speed: Im changed the sys fan speed to full speed, but after that I had a blue screen, I plugged all my fans into the motherboard. Why did it happen and what's the solution?...
  3. Blue screen occurs when changing fan speed to full speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue screen occurs when changing fan speed to full speed: Im changed the sys fan speed to full speed, but after that I had a blue screen, I plugged all my fans into the motherboard. Why did it happen and what's the solution?...
  4. Blackscreen and fan full speed ONLY when gaming.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blackscreen and fan full speed ONLY when gaming.: The title says it all. For some Weeks now I got a new gpu for my pc that I built on my own, when all of a sudden my screen turns black and fans go full speed ony when playing heavy games like Final Fantasy 15 or Apex Legends. the event viewer gave me this:...
  5. Blackscreen and fan full speed ONLY when gaming.

Blackscreen and fan full speed ONLY when gaming.: The title says it all. For some Weeks now I got a new gpu for my pc that I built on my own, when all of a sudden my screen turns black and fans go full speed ony when playing heavy games like Final Fantasy 15 or Apex Legends. the event viewer gave me this:...
  6. Fan running at full speed all the time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fan running at full speed all the time: My laptop was running fine and dandy, no loud fan noise, fan would rotate at full speed only when i play games and even at that times fan wouldn't make that much of noise. Untill today's morning when the windows 10 latest update got installed automatically and now fan is...
  7. Fan running at full speed all the time

Fan running at full speed all the time: My laptop was running fine and dandy, no loud fan noise, fan would rotate at full speed only when i play games and even at that times fan wouldn't make that much of noise. Untill today's morning when the windows 10 latest update got installed automatically and now fan is...
  8. Fan running at full speed all the time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. fans started working on full speed in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fans started working on full speed in sleep mode: hello everyone,i usually put my laptop in sleep mode because i have to use it everyday.so as usual my laptop was in sleep mode and suddenly fans started working at full speed.when i turned lid up,LED on power button was on but there was nothing on screen.then i hold on the...
  10. fan is running at full speed

in Windows 10 Customization
    fan is running at full speed: I have a problem with a fan because it is running at full speed all the time. It is an old problem which I am unable to fix. I think the OS cannot detect the hardware and force the fan to run at full speed. It is Dell Precision T3500, Windows 10, ver. 10.0.17763. I...