Windows 10: Fans stopped working and cpu clock is locked

Discus and support Fans stopped working and cpu clock is locked in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My laptop was operating just fine until yesterday. Today I kept used my laptop without noticing any problems. At one point, the processing speed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Kevin_787, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Kevin_787 Win User

Fans stopped working and cpu clock is locked

My laptop was operating just fine until yesterday. Today I kept used my laptop without noticing any problems. At one point, the processing speed decreased suddenly and I felt heat under my laptop. First, I thought it is overheating problem and restarted the computer which people said it should reboot my fans. Fans still does not work.

Next, to check whether overheating is really the problem, I unplugged power cable and set to save battery mode. Overheating disappeared and it is now at about 40C. Still, cpu speed locked at 0.39 GHz.

I feel like the computer just decided to lock its speed at 0.39 GHz because fans are not working. Its processing speed is locked even though I cooled down computer using other methods.

I never seen a computer suddenly stop spinning fans before. I do not know what to do and I need help.

:)

Kevin_787, Mar 11, 2021

2. CPU Clock speed locked at 0.79GHz

Hi, I have an i7-4500U CPU and for the last few months my system starts at full speed (2.39GHz) but as soon as the CPU goes below 30% utilisation after startup, the system locks the clock speed to 0.79GHz even when the fan is off. The CPU temperature is
    around the 50degree C mark, therefore should be allowing the processor to go up to full clock speed.

I've changed the power settings to set the minimum clock speed to 50%, but that has made no difference.

MalcolmHide, Mar 11, 2021
  3. NickOttWU Win User
    CPU fan not working properly

The fans are always idle no matter how hot the cpu gets, its hottest ive seen it at is 83 degrees Celsius. the cooling policy is active but they always run low idle, they used to speed up all the time now they don't.does anybody have any suggestions?

Original Title: Fans are always idle

NickOttWU, Mar 11, 2021
  4. Fans stopped working and cpu clock is locked

CPU Clock speed locked at 0.79GHz

Hi, the software to detect CPU performance is windows task manager. It shouldn't be wrong as it replicates what I'm seeing. With the clock speed reduced, I'm getting a lot of lag in response to high demand activities such as large spreadsheet calculations
    and opening large files.

For the CPU temperature I'm using CPUID, which is usually a reasonable indicator. in most cases when it is showing the CPU is hot, the fan does turn on.

MalcolmHide, Mar 11, 2021
Thema:

Fans stopped working and cpu clock is locked

1. Fans stopped working and cpu clock is locked - Similar Threads - Fans stopped working

2. Windows 10 update stopped all but 1 of my fans working and set/throttled the cpu fan,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 update stopped all but 1 of my fans working and set/throttled the cpu fan,...: It's a ryzen 5600 CPU nothing old or unsupported. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-stopped-all-but-1-of-my-fans/f081c489-98b2-4c16-895b-6247554ae886
  3. Windows 10 update stopped all but 1 of my fans working and set/throttled the cpu fan,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 update stopped all but 1 of my fans working and set/throttled the cpu fan,...: It's a ryzen 5600 CPU nothing old or unsupported. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-stopped-all-but-1-of-my-fans/f081c489-98b2-4c16-895b-6247554ae886
  4. Windows 10 update stopped all but 1 of my fans working and set/throttled the cpu fan,...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. My CPU fans can't stop running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My CPU fans can't stop running: [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] So this is my problem. My laptop is a Asus ROG Strix SCAR II GL504GS ES060T. I've tried literally everything apart from sending it to warranty. BIOS update, every driver possible, commands in command line, softwares in safe mode, and over 25...
  6. Clock Stops and task manager stops working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clock Stops and task manager stops working: TLDR - The clock in the bottom right of the taskbar stops and when i open task manager nothing is updating, any help? More information: As far as i’m aware this has never happened when i’ve been using the PC, most of the time it’s when i’ve been away for a while, like...
  7. CPU Clock speed locked at 0.79GHz

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU Clock speed locked at 0.79GHz: Hi, I have an i7-4500U CPU and for the last few months my system starts at full speed (2.39GHz) but as soon as the CPU goes below 30% utilisation after startup, the system locks the clock speed to 0.79GHz even when the fan is off. The CPU temperature is around the 50degree C...
  8. cpu fan

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cpu fan: will the cpu fan run without the o/s installed-----putting together a new system and testing individual pieces 66923
  9. CPU Fan Not Working?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CPU Fan Not Working?: If the pc is on and CPU fan is stopped running than what will happen? 55677
  10. Chameleon Clock stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chameleon Clock stopped working: I have been using this program for a very long time. It has not been updated for ages, hence it has been playing up for a while, but basically was still working. In Win7, it would regularly crash... I did find a program that was supposed to be for the 64bit system, but not...