Windows 10: Far more duplicates than I'd imagined

Discus and support Far more duplicates than I'd imagined in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I thought to look for the duplicates on my system, using CCleaner's tool and expecting a moderate catch, but see attachment. Provided that all are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chipwood, Aug 12, 2021.

1. chipwood Win User

Far more duplicates than I'd imagined

I thought to look for the duplicates on my system, using CCleaner's tool and expecting a moderate catch, but see attachment. Provided that all are absolutely identical is it safe to delete one of any pair. and how could those duplicates have come about? 21H1

:)

chipwood, Aug 12, 2021
  2. ShaneN17 Win User

Duplicate D:\ drive

Okay, so as I was typing my last message, I was going back to and forth and I seem to have fixed my problem. I think this is what NovHak was trying to suggest at the bottom of his post.

What I did was click on the File Properties for the D:\ (with the Videos icon), not the one that is my DATA (D: ) which is the proper one, clicked on restore default location, said NO to the merge, then another window came up (which I think I might have said Yes to originally, which could be the original source of my problem - I know, this problem is a result of user error*cry) and I said Yes (after fully reading it and understanding it this time. The second message is as follows (please ignore the name and the fact that it's to OneDrive, I stole the picture from Access Denied - moving Pictures folder to default or other locations - Windows 10 Forums but the rest of the wording is what I saw).

Far more duplicates than I'd imagined [​IMG]

This seemed to disconnect (or what ever the heck was happening) the two listed D: drives. DATA (D: ) is normal. I still had D:\ with the videos icon kicking around. I made attempts to include this in the C:\User\...\Videos folder and then ended up with sub folders. Not EXACTLY sure where in the process of what I did fixed it, but at one point I closed the File Explorer window and when I reopened it everything was back to normal.

Normal DATA (D: ), Normal Videos folder in the proper location and no subfolder, and no random D:\ drive with the Videos icon. Did a full shut down and restart and everything is looking as it should!

No formatting of the D: drive either, so that's a bonus!

Thank you so much Winuser, NovHak, and dalchina (in order of appearance in the thread *Wink) for all of your help and suggestions. I really appreciated it! You guys and/or girls rock!

ShaneN17, Aug 12, 2021
  3. ShaneN17 Win User

So my issue appears to be fixed and I did not end up having to format my D:\ drive.

What I did was click on the File Properties for the D:\ (with the Videos icon), not the one that is my DATA (D: ) which is the proper one, clicked on restore default location, said NO to the merge, then another window came up (which I think I might have said
    Yes to originally, which could be the original source of my problem - I know, this problem is a result of user error
    ) and I said Yes (after fully reading it and understanding it this time. The second
    message is as follows (please ignore the name and the fact that it's to OneDrive, I obtained the picture from

Access Denied - moving Pictures folder to default or other locations - Windows 10 Forums
    but the rest of the wording is what I saw).

This seemed to disconnect (or what ever the heck was happening) the two listed D: drives. DATA (D: ) is normal. I still had D:\ with the videos icon kicking around. I made attempts to include this in the C:\User\...\Videos folder and then ended up with sub
    folders. Not EXACTLY sure where in the process of what I did fixed it, but at one point I closed the File Explorer window and when I reopened it everything was back to normal.

Normal DATA (D: ), Normal Videos folder in the proper location and no subfolder, and no random D:\ drive with the Videos icon. Did a full shut down and restart and everything is looking as it should!

No formatting of the D: drive either, so that's a bonus!

Thanks for the suggestion though, it was definitely my next step if I wasn't able to fix it otherwise.

ShaneN17, Aug 12, 2021
  4. Winuser Win User

I never had to deal with junctions so I haven't a clue what to suggest. I'm thinking that the problem is on the D: drive. If it is than I don't see why saving the files and formatting the D: drive wouldn't work. If It's something on the C: drive causing this than I have no Idea what to try.

Winuser, Aug 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Far more duplicates than I'd imagined - Similar Threads - Far more duplicates

2. WMP and Duplicates some more than 6-8 times the same song!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WMP and Duplicates some more than 6-8 times the same song!: I use Window 10. I guess that means I have WMP 12 I can't find 'About' or 'Help' section. My problem is I have about 3,400 songs/videos. Most are doubles. Some have between 6-8 copies of the same song. This leads me to believe that I am wasting a lot of space - in addition to...
  3. WMP and Duplicates some more than 6-8 times the same song!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WMP and Duplicates some more than 6-8 times the same song!: I use Window 10. I guess that means I have WMP 12 I can't find 'About' or 'Help' section. My problem is I have about 3,400 songs/videos. Most are doubles. Some have between 6-8 copies of the same song. This leads me to believe that I am wasting a lot of space - in addition to...
  4. WMP and Duplicates some more than 6-8 times the same song!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to detect duplicate photos on more than one drive

How to detect duplicate photos on more than one drive: I have a large number of photos on a USB stick which I retrieved from the drive of a broken laptop. They almost certainly contain duplicates of photos on my working laptop. Is there a way of scanning both the Pictures folder on my laptop and the USB drive to detect them?...
  6. How to detect duplicate photos on more than one drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to detect duplicate photos on more than one drive: I have a large number of photos on a USB stick which I retrieved from the drive of a broken laptop. They almost certainly contain duplicates of photos on my working laptop. Is there a way of scanning both the Pictures folder on my laptop and the USB drive to detect them?...
  7. How to detect duplicate photos on more than one drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows says im using far more disk space than i am

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows says im using far more disk space than i am: https://imgur.com/a/b5JLyEE https://imgur.com/a/l6TA6Yi Screenshots of windows saying the drives full, and one of windirstat and properties saying otherwise. Why is it doing this/ how do i fix it? submitted by /u/make_a_wish69 [link] [comments]...
  9. More than 5 duplicates of the same photo.

More than 5 duplicates of the same photo.: Hi I have opened my photos and have found that I have 6 copies of the same photo. This is how they have been listed. (please see below) Does this mean that I have to manually delete all of these? I am very unsure as to how this has happened. I would appreciate anyones...
  10. Even more duplicate drives.

Even more duplicate drives.: Hi, When I had Chromebook Recovery Utility on, My laptop crashed.(BSOD) Thats the main point. But here's the real problem. Once "Google" said the app would erase the USB drive, It didint. So it said "Unable to partition USB drive." (Or something like that.) After that...