Windows 10: Fast Boot / Hybrid Boot stopped working, driver-issue?

Discus and support Fast Boot / Hybrid Boot stopped working, driver-issue? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; For years I had Fast Boot disabled because I only had a 120gb SSD and wanted to save space by not having the hibernation-file eating more. Now that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Skyyblaze, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Fast Boot / Hybrid Boot stopped working, driver-issue?

For years I had Fast Boot disabled because I only had a 120gb SSD and wanted to save space by not having the hibernation-file eating more. Now that I moved to a 512gb SSD I reenabled Fast Boot and it worked great for a few days but now when I shut down my PC Windows seemingly shuts-down but my USB-devices and my PC itself stays on, the only things that turn off are my HDDs and my fans needing me to hold the power-button till the PC fully shuts off.

Then when booting my PC the next time it acts like Fast Boot is off and does a full boot. Shutting down while holding shift to bypass Fast Boot still shuts the PC down properly. I also don't think it's my hardware because my WindowsToGo install is able to properly shut the PC down with Fast-Boot enabled so I'm suspecting a driver to be the culprit.

Is there any way to diagnose what keeps the PC from shutting down with Fast Boot enabled? The only driver I updated in the meantime was my Nvidia Drivers from Standard to DCH as the Standard Drivers are defunct though I doubt they are the cause as else more people would be posting about this.

Rebooting still works fine too.

submitted by /u/Skyyblaze
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Skyyblaze, Dec 23, 2019

2. Windows 10 Fast Boot issues since recent update

Hi,

Recently I've updated my PC to the latest available cumulative Windows 10 version, which has caused an issue where my PC can no longer boot using the fast startup option, and will instead idle at the final step in the boot phase, showing
    the MSI splash logo and not booting, the simple fix seems to be disabling fast startup, as it's the fault causer.

However, since maybe late last year, fast startup has worked perfectly fine, and it's kind of annoying i'm having to switch it off with the recent update.

The PC has no hardware or software issues whatsoever, it runs as expected, and before this, had no other issues with the operating system either. BIOS settings have nothing daft enabled, boot order is perfectly fine.

I will list my system specs below, and also clarify that this used to happen to this machine, but stopped happening late last year. (With an update(And when i decided to test fast startup again))

Intel i7 7700k - Stock core clock for the sake of testing it truly wasn't a hardware issue - But usually ran at 4.8Ghz

32gb - Corsair Vengeance DRAM - 2133mhz

MSI z270 Gaming M7

Samsung 960 EVO 1tb (Boot Storage) (Has an up-to-date driver)

nVidia GTX1080 MSI Gaming X

EVGA Gold rated 850w Supernova PSU

Any insight would be appreciated, and if people are also facing the same issue, it would be good to know whether it's a more widespread issue.

Cheers, Tom

Tom_T1993[], Dec 23, 2019
  3. Lenovo G500 Booting Issues

Hi Forhad,

I appreciate the steps that you have tried, I would suggest you to try the below steps as well and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run the System Maintenance troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Type troubleshooter in the search box and then press enter.

• Select Troubleshooting. Click on
      and select System Maintenance.

• Click next and follow the on-screen instructions.
    Note: I would suggest you to disconnect all the external devices other than mouse and keyboard and check if it helps.

Method 2: Enable Fast Start Up on the system and check if it helps. To do this, follow the steps below.

• Open Control Panel and go to Power Options.

• Click/tap on the Choose what the power buttons do link on the left side.

• Click/tap on the Change settings that are currently unavailable link at the top.

• If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes.

• Ensure that Turn on Fast Startup is checked.

• Restart the computer.
    Method 3: Boot the computer in a clean boot state and check. Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications/drivers or startup items are causing the issue.

Refer the article and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, follow the section
    "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Hope it helps, let us know how it goes.

SujataMoktan, Dec 23, 2019
  4. Fast Boot / Hybrid Boot stopped working, driver-issue?

Hybrid shutdown causing my computer to hang when I start it as it is booting into Windows

I sent 3 different shutdown commands (1 at a time per boot) and 1 fails me which is needed for fast startup:

Commands:

1. shutdown.exe /t 0 /g
    2. shutdown.exe /t 0 /sg /f
    3. shutdown.exe /t 0 /s /hybrid

What they do and did:

1. Reboot and automatically login and lock (working as intended)
    2. Shutdown and automatically login and lock on next startup (working as intended)
    3. Hybrid shutdown with fast startup. This is the one that locks up my PC at boot. It makes it to the first Windows Logo screen and just stops. I have to hit the reset button (same as hold power button down).

What I've tried:

• Recreate the hibernation file: powercfg.exe /hibernate off && powercfg.exe /hibernate on
    • Rebooted and trying to make a clean boot up.
    • Looked through Event Viewer but only find the event that the computer was forcefully shut off. (not really sure what to look for)
    • I've already run DISM and SFC also.
    • EDIT: Just ran Memory Diagnostics and no errors were detected. I've also ran disk check which I do once every month anyway.

My Specs:

Windows 10 x64 1903 - Build 18362.239

xCONFLiCTiONx, Dec 23, 2019
Thema:

Fast Boot / Hybrid Boot stopped working, driver-issue?

1. Fast Boot / Hybrid Boot stopped working, driver-issue? - Similar Threads - Fast Boot Hybrid

2. Boot driver issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot driver issues: I was asking for advice on how to trouble shoot boot driver issues on HP laptop. I have fresh installed windows 10 and I was able to use my laptop for a few hours and then I have got the issue again. I have been intouch with HP for advice they are wanting to collect it from...
  3. fast boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    fast boot: hi I am unable to fast boot my system. I have win 10, 8 gb graphic, ssid still it takes 5 min to boot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-boot/fe58e21a-8d67-4f71-a956-c56d37860ac2
  4. Fast boot not always working

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast boot not always working: Hi, I've got problem with fastboot since Windows 8. The problem is that fastboot doesn't always property run, this is: I power off computer, then I turn it on and fastboot doesn't work. So I turn off and on computer again and fastboot works property. When I restart computer...
  5. Fast boot no longer working

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast boot no longer working: HP notebook 250 G5 seems caused by autoupdate of the corporate antivirus (sophos endpoint) same day the issue begin all was working fine, doing every day start->shut down->shut down the next update worked with fast boot now i have no errors but the system is started...
  6. Boot not that fast

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot not that fast: Hello I have a new configuration (z170 chipset, i3-6320, fast SSD) for my desktop and it boots slower than my laptop (Acer V3-574G (i7-5500) with the same SSD as my desktop). I don't think the i3-6320 vs i7-5500 can explain such difference. First thing is that Hibernation...
  7. Hybrid boot/fast startup causing system to reboot after shutdown.

in Windows 10 Support
    Hybrid boot/fast startup causing system to reboot after shutdown.: Recently I have observed that my system reboots after 1 sec when booting up. This happens only when I use Shutdown. I disabled the Fast Startup and now it boots correctly but very slow but that is predictable since it hybrid boot was disabled. I have windows 10 Home and...
  8. Question about fast boot/hybrid shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about fast boot/hybrid shutdown: I know some people disable fast boot/hybrid shutdown but I tend to leave as much of Windows at default as possible (apart from system restore - why does MS disable that by default?!!!) anyway, I wonder if the hiberfil.sys file on shutdown gets rewritten from scratch on...
  9. Problems with Hybrid boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Hybrid boot: Hello, I have 2 PCs, both running win 10 updated from 8.1. The desktop has an AMD processor and graphics card, the laptop has an intel i5 and nvidia card. Both have 8 gb ram. Since an update around 2 weeks ago both have a strange problem: fast booting does not work anymore....
  10. Can't do hybrid shutdown, despite enabled fast boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't do hybrid shutdown, despite enabled fast boot: Hello everyone. I'm writing this thread because I'm facing a behaviour of my computer I would like to change or fix, but I don't know how I should do any of these. The operating system I use is Windows 10 Home 1709 (Fall Creators Update). The undesired behaviour is that,...