Windows 10: Fast boot no longer working

Discus and support Fast boot no longer working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HP notebook 250 G5 seems caused by autoupdate of the corporate antivirus (sophos endpoint) same day the issue begin all was working fine, doing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ninja750, Feb 18, 2018.

1. ninja750 Win User

Fast boot no longer working

HP notebook 250 G5

seems caused by autoupdate of the corporate antivirus (sophos endpoint) same day the issue begin

all was working fine, doing every day start->shut down->shut down the next update worked with fast boot

now i have no errors but the system is started every day with the "long" boot

looking the event viewer, i can see that when it was working fine when i choosed to shut down the system recorded event 42 (category 64) "starting activating suspension", then the day after i can see event 107 (102) "system is reactivated from suspension" and obviously type of boot 0x1 (event 27/33) (fast boot)

now it does not work: when i choose shut down i see event 109/103 "transaction of shutdown started by kernel power" and then the day after i see event 12/1 "system started at system time xxx" and type of boot 0x0 (normal boot)

note that both hybernation and suspension works if done manually

just tryed to turn on and off fast boot many times in the power menu without luck

:)

ninja750, Feb 18, 2018

2. Windows 10 fast boot no longer working after update to Version 1511

I've run all those commands, "no damage detected" in all of them. I believe this is something up to Microsoft and not something users can fix.

Arturo Vázquez Rodríguez, Feb 18, 2018
  3. Ratandeep Win User
    Windows 10 fast boot no longer working after update to Version 1511

Hello Arturo,

Thank you for your response.

I appreciate your time.

If the computer still boots to the desktop without fast startup, I would suggest you to
    run DISM commands from command prompt and check. Please follow these steps:

a. Press Windows + X keys and click command prompt(admin).

b. Type the following commands in command prompt one by one and press Enter after each command.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Windows corruption errors may prevent Windows updates and service packs from installing. For example, an update might not install if a system file is damaged. "DISM" tool may help you to fix some Windows corruption errors.

Please keep us updated.

Thank you

Ratandeep, Feb 18, 2018
  4. Fast boot no longer working

Hi ninja750

Have you contacted your Corporate Support desk.

They may have invoked some group policies along with the update or may have set Sophos to force a full shutdown. (Not sure if Sophos has that capability).

As you can directly tie the change in behaviour to the update / change in Sophos that your company enforced that is where I would start.

Caledon Ken, Feb 18, 2018
  5. ninja750 Win User
    yes I have contacted both my corporate's and sophos support on their site, no solution found so far as they say it is not intenctional

i think the problem is when shutting down, when it was working the system did every time event 42/64 "activating system suspension" but now it does event 109/103 "shutdown transaction started by kernel"

ninja750, Mar 25, 2018
  6. Interesting that you would be the only person with issue. ( I think this is BS )

Through your IT group can they check if there are now any Sophos updates or hot fixes.

I would also see if Windows Fast Startup is still enabled. If so I would disable, and restart. Then go back in and enable, restart and test.

Caledon Ken, Mar 25, 2018
  7. ninja750 Win User
    I am not the only one, two for sure, the others have an SSD with the function intentionally set OFF someone else is still on windows7. the trick to disable and then enable is one of the first i've tryed, and sadly the antivirus updated itself one week ago and the issue is still there

hope that next big build of windows will solve it *Sad

ninja750, Mar 25, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

You could also try removing then recreating the hibefil.sys that is required for Fast Start-up to work. In a Command Prompt (Admin) use POWERCFG /HIBERNATE OFF followed by POWERCFG /HIBERNATE ON

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Fast boot no longer working - Similar Threads - Fast boot longer

2. Fast boot option

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fast boot option: How do I turn on quick boot in my bios? I tried the following already and the option to enable fast boot never appeared. I pressed F2 during startup, the bois opened then I went to the advanced menu then tried to get into boot and there was no option to click on boot and...
  3. Disabling fast boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling fast boot: How can I disable fast boot for all users on my PC in one go? I have observed that when I disable fast boot through the normal way only the account I disable it on will have it disabled while all the other users will still get the fast boot and hibernation file when they...
  4. Turning off Fast Boot

Turning off Fast Boot: Hello, to turn off fast boot enough to turn off it in bios? Or I should do in windows too? (I need to turn that off dont ask) submitted by /u/_MeetYourMaker_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jiwqb5/turning_off_fast_boot/
  5. wifi is not working after fast boot . if i turn off fast boot , wifi works finely

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    wifi is not working after fast boot . if i turn off fast boot , wifi works finely: wifi is not working after fast boot . if i turn off fast boot , wifi works finely . how to use both fast boot and wifi ? i reinstalled the driver but nothing happen [ATTACH]...
  6. Fast Boot / Hybrid Boot stopped working, driver-issue?

Fast Boot / Hybrid Boot stopped working, driver-issue?: For years I had Fast Boot disabled because I only had a 120gb SSD and wanted to save space by not having the hibernation-file eating more. Now that I moved to a 512gb SSD I reenabled Fast Boot and it worked great for a few days but now when I shut down my PC Windows seemingly...
  7. fast boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    fast boot: hi I am unable to fast boot my system. I have win 10, 8 gb graphic, ssid still it takes 5 min to boot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-boot/fe58e21a-8d67-4f71-a956-c56d37860ac2
  8. Fast boot not always working

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast boot not always working: Hi, I've got problem with fastboot since Windows 8. The problem is that fastboot doesn't always property run, this is: I power off computer, then I turn it on and fastboot doesn't work. So I turn off and on computer again and fastboot works property. When I restart computer...
  9. Fast boot, slow restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast boot, slow restart: Hi, I'm a bit confused: Everytime I power on the computer, it takes about 15 seconds for my Windows 10 to load, that is, from the moment the logo appears on the screen, until the wallpaper shows. However, when i restart, it takes more time to load (about 1 min and 10...
  10. Boot not that fast

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot not that fast: Hello I have a new configuration (z170 chipset, i3-6320, fast SSD) for my desktop and it boots slower than my laptop (Acer V3-574G (i7-5500) with the same SSD as my desktop). I don't think the i3-6320 vs i7-5500 can explain such difference. First thing is that Hibernation...