Windows 10: Fast Start-Up: Does it hurt External Hard Drives or better for it?

Discus and support Fast Start-Up: Does it hurt External Hard Drives or better for it? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I generally don't like my Fast Start-Up as sometimes I would wake up at night or come back home and see my computer has been turned on randomly (either... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/pirajacinto, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Fast Start-Up: Does it hurt External Hard Drives or better for it?

I generally don't like my Fast Start-Up as sometimes I would wake up at night or come back home and see my computer has been turned on randomly (either because something randomly touched the keyboard or whatever).

However, last night, I had gotten myself a new hard drive and noticed it was still making sounds when I was trying to sleep. I checked it and all of my external hard drives were still turned on even though my computer is on. A part of me is thinking that this is bad, I'll never be able to give my external hard drives a rest if it is always 'on'. However, is it better to have Fast Start-Up so it is not always 'turning on' each time I used my computer? Or is it better to have my computer fully turned off so my externals can turn itself off?

Additionally, my new external hard drive (WD Black 8tb) is preventing my computer from fully turning on! I always have to connect it after the computer passes the bios screen and loading windows before I can use it again. Which I figured is pretty bad because then that one IS consistently turning on and off. I really don't know what's the best situation here.

submitted by /u/pirajacinto
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/pirajacinto, Oct 14, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Oct 14, 2020
  3. Marco Gav Win User
    unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Oct 14, 2020
  4. twynog Win User

Fast Start-Up: Does it hurt External Hard Drives or better for it?

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Oct 14, 2020
Thema:

Fast Start-Up: Does it hurt External Hard Drives or better for it?

1. Fast Start-Up: Does it hurt External Hard Drives or better for it? - Similar Threads - Fast Start Does

2. external hard drive not backing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive not backing up: every time i press back up it does its backing up thingy then it says you havent backed up your drive ive tried 3 times and many different things online please help me i need to fix it before wensday cause they gonna take my computer and fix it and they might need to wipe it...
  3. External hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive not showing up: I just downloaded windows on a flash drive then plugged it into my pc but when i go to select where i want to download windows nothing shows up. Please help...
  4. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: Hello I have an external hard drive that worked only a few days ago perfectly,but today it doesn't show up at all under the devices and drives. The computer recognizes that it is connected to the PC. It also doesn't show in disk management. I can use minitool partition...
  5. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: Hey there, So I have had a seagate external hard drive for a couple years now. I use it every day, it is a larger 5 tb drive that requires both usb and external power. STEB5000100. I have never had an issue with it popping up when I turn my pc on until the other day....
  6. external hard drive not showing up

external hard drive not showing up: it's not showing up at all. not in windows explorer, not in the device manager, not in disk management, it's as if i didn't even put it in. it's always worked perfectly fine on my laptop (which is what i'm using now) and i used it on my computer (windows 7) just several...
  7. External Hard Drive Not Showing UP

External Hard Drive Not Showing UP: Hello, I am using a WD external hard drive to transfer files from one Windows 10 machine to others. The first machine saw the disk fine, and I added all of the data. The next two machines saw the disk fine, and I transferred all of the date. The fourth machine does not...
  8. connecting up to an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    connecting up to an external hard drive: I have an Acer Aspire and I want to connect up to an external hard drive but this computer dose not recognize the usb plug in. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-up-to-an-external-hard-drive/0d249a3d-70be-45d8-beb3-354c0b1a564c
  9. Backing up to a external hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backing up to a external hard drive: After reading about ransomware etc. it got me wondering about backing up my information to an external hard drive. It would serve double duty in the event of a drive failure or the unlikely event of ransom ware. I've never used an external drive for backup so I have a few...
  10. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: I have an external hard drive that I have used regularly with a Windows 7 machine via esata that does not show up when plugged into my Windows 10 notebook via USB. I can see it under the disk management, but there is no drive letter assigned so I cannot access it. ? 37434