Windows 10: Fast Startup - Should we use it?

Discus and support Fast Startup - Should we use it? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The reason I ask is because I am trying to customize my Windows and I wanted startup sounds. But I read they won't play if you have quick startup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RECONBunny, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Fast Startup - Should we use it?

The reason I ask is because I am trying to customize my Windows and I wanted startup sounds. But I read they won't play if you have quick startup enabled which is by default. Plus having to edit the registry to unhide the sounds.

So aside from enabling sounds to work is it recommended to have it enabled or disabled? What do you guys do?

:)

RECONBunny, Feb 13, 2017
  2. slance310 Win User

Windows 10 fails to restart after shutdown

Hi,

The shutdown command you are using is different than the one that happens with the Shutdown button...

That is the Win 7 type shutdown command before Fast Startup was implemented...

From what I could find, this is the command now in use for Fast Startup...

shutdown /s /hybrid /t xxx , although for some reason I was thinking it used a Taskill command...

Depending on how you turned off Hibernation, fast Startup may or may not have been turned off as well... If you just unchecked the box, Fast Startup will probably still work if it isn't unchecked...

If you used the command Powercfg -h off to turn off Hibernation, it should have shutdown Fast Startup as well...

The underlying cause of your problem s a driver\process of some type that is not working well with the Fast Startup\Hybrid shutdown...

slance310, Feb 13, 2017
  3. Numlock on startup unpredictable on new Windows 10 1511

Microsoft,

Why is this acceptable? Why does Fast Startup cause an issue with a BIOS setting that indicates the NumLock should be on? It seems to me that the BIOS should control this regardless of whether Fast Startup is enabled or not. Will you be fixing this rather
    annoying issue?

bankmathguy, Feb 13, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

Fast Startup - Should we use it?

User choice really.
    Disabling it will save you hiberfile space.
    I disable it cuz I'm dual booting.

Edwin, Feb 13, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    My computers with SSDs, fast startup is disable. My computers with HDDs have fast startup enabled.

NavyLCDR, Feb 13, 2017
  6. pparks1 Win User
    Unless space is at a premium, I leave it enabled.

pparks1, Feb 13, 2017
  7. Win10Pro Win User
    The only reason I disabled it is... my cat who liked to walk on the keyboard in the middle of the night waking my PC and exposing me to insomnia *Smile

Win10Pro, Feb 15, 2017
  8. Winuser Win User

In my experience Fast Start causes problems so I leave it off.

Winuser, Feb 15, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    More like: it can cause problems on a few makes and models of PC - others work fine with fast start.

I like to have fast start turned off, but mainly for convenience - it makes it easier to boot from a recovery USB or a DVD (something I do often). Anyway, for a quick start I prefer to hibernate my laptop rather than shut it down at the end of the day. Actually shutting it down is something I rarely do.

Sometimes an update (1511 to 1607, for example) has turned fast start back on and I have taken a while to notice and turn it back off again. It's never caused me a problem while it's been on.

10. *Ditto *Smile

FrillyBits, Feb 17, 2017
  11. If you look at what it does, it is an obvious no. Unless you like saving a few secs to boot an unreliable system.

TairikuOkami, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Fast Startup - Should we use it? - Similar Threads - Fast Startup Should

2. Is fast startup bad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is fast startup bad?: I am running windows 11 on a NVME SSD with 512gb storage is fast startup bad for my pc?SSD:WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ-512G-1006 512.1 GB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-fast-startup-bad/0e7c20d1-f175-44a0-afc4-eb0dffee6089
  3. Fast startup and not restarting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fast startup and not restarting: my laptop is not shutting down when turned off fast startupand my laptop not restating and stuck at restarting screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-startup-and-not-restarting/990556db-e64f-4c38-91aa-d9e15ea7ccba
  4. Fast Startup Problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast Startup Problem: Why?? [ATTACH] Pls Help Me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-startup-problem/83b79418-91e7-45d9-b01a-6477e9e54bd3
  5. Fast Startup

Fast Startup: Why is my option to "Turn on fast startup" greyed out? [ATTACH] Pls Answer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-startup/4c05238b-43c2-4cc7-abff-f89aaf2795cd
  6. Fast Startup

Fast Startup: Okay so I figured out what's causing my computer to not fully shut down, and I'm cool with the whole fast startup feature but my problem with it is that I cant turn my computer back on when its in that mode, like I would have to hold the power button for it to fully shut...
  7. Failed fast startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failed fast startup: Hi, I have been facing this issue for a while now. While fast startup is enabled, my laptop has very rarely fast startup, and when checking the events viewer, it would always state the following: error) Event 29, Kernel boot: Windows failed fast startup with error status...
  8. Fast startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast startup: Hi, does anyone know how to enable fast startup without enabling hibernation windows 10? Thank you 18351
  9. Fast startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast startup: I tend to leave windows 10 mostly at default settings. So I keep fast start up enabled on my desktop. I do have an SSD but it is convenient and shaves a few seconds of reboot i guess. However I want to know whether it relies on a power source? What I mean by this is, is my pc...
  10. No fast startup

in Windows 10 Support
    No fast startup: Hi i have looked in power settings and all i have is sleep and lock no fast startup box to tick i have looked in hiberboot enabled and it is set on (1) i do have 14393-222 build and i do not have any other problems with windows 10 just slow start up. Hp workstation 2tb hard...