Windows 10: Fast Startup - Win 10 - Win 7 - Boot Problems - Only 7 Booted

Discus and support Fast Startup - Win 10 - Win 7 - Boot Problems - Only 7 Booted in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have 2 SSDs, one with a 'dormant' copy of Win 10 and the second with an actively used copy of Win 7. By 'dormant' I mean that I've only booted the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by baumgrenze, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Fast Startup - Win 10 - Win 7 - Boot Problems - Only 7 Booted

I have 2 SSDs, one with a 'dormant' copy of Win 10 and the second with an actively used copy of Win 7.

By 'dormant' I mean that I've only booted the Win 10 drive a few times to install updates. It is an end-of-the-year insurance policy against the end-of-support for Win 7 as 2020 looms large.

Since the last update I've had problems running Win7. Win 7 insists on a CHKDSK of the boot disk on boot but that cannot run because the OS has started. It suggests using a restore point, but that cannot run until the CHKDSK problem has been addressed.

I've read that failing to disable "Fast Boot" in Win 10 can cause 'problems' in Win 7. I don't recall taking that step when I updated late in January. I lost many files on a data disk in an e-SATA bay because I failed to remember to shut it down.

There is an explanation here. I will paste the answer that seems to apply, but could this 'feature' have an impact on the Win 7 system disk which was disconnected during the time I worked on Win 10?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...b-ed53654ffb42

"The drive corruption problem happens after Windows 10 has been fully shut down and the computer then booted into a different operating system, but not when changing OS's after soft rebooting because Fast startup isn't used during warm reboots."

"The core of the issue is that Fast Startup works similarly to Hybernation in that it stores details of the computer's operational state into a hiberfil.sys file on the harddisk whenever Windows 10 is shut down. That file is subsequently used the next time Windows 10 is cold booted. Cold booting the computer into a different OS however can/will change the real contents of the harddrives in the system such that they no longer match what was stored by Win10 in hyberfil.sys, or it can even cause this file to be overwritten. Chaos ensues after booting back into Windows 10 when it tries to recreate the state it was last in but the drive contents are different from what was stored in hiberfil.sys or worse, if the hyberfil.sys file is corrupted or missing."

After the upgrade I also noticed a new folder on the data disk that contains this rather large file:

F:\Windows10Upgrade\17134.112.180619-1212.rs4_release_svc_refresh_CLIENTCONSUMER_RET_x64FRE_en-us.esd

and a smaller one:

F:\Windows10Upgrade\products.xml

Thanks for any insights and clearer explanations,

:)

baumgrenze, Mar 29, 2019
  2. RealNeil Win User

Win 10 boots...

I can't answer to the speed of Win-8 booting. I tried the Win-8 preview and went back to Win-7 after a month. They say that Win-8.1 is a lot better than Win-8 was.
    My Win-10 TP is working well ATM.

RealNeil, Mar 29, 2019
  3. Dual-boot Win10/7 or go back to Win 7

Separate Hard Drive for win 7 and win 10
    select boot drive at bios when Booting ( F10 )
    Keeps them entirely separate and makes wipeing disk later easier

dorsetknob, Mar 29, 2019
  4. MrGenius Win User

Fast Startup - Win 10 - Win 7 - Boot Problems - Only 7 Booted

Dual-boot Win10/7 or go back to Win 7

This^^

I only use, or recommend, dual boot if a new/separate HD is out of the question. Way less hassle and potential problems.

MrGenius, Mar 29, 2019
Thema:

Fast Startup - Win 10 - Win 7 - Boot Problems - Only 7 Booted

1. Fast Startup - Win 10 - Win 7 - Boot Problems - Only 7 Booted - Similar Threads - Fast Startup Boot

2. Win 7 problem booting from hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 7 problem booting from hdd: When laptop starts booting the win 7 logo appears then the screen switches on bsod at one milisecond then the system recovery and start windows normally appears.As usual the recovery option doesn't do anything so i tried using win 7 installation and i used cmd to fix mbr and...
  3. Update a dual boot Win-7 and 8.1, to Win-10 only.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update a dual boot Win-7 and 8.1, to Win-10 only.: I have a dual boot Window-7 and Windows-8.1. If I update to Windows-10, which older version will update to 10? Win-7, or Win-8.1, or both? After I do the update to 10, can I remove any remaining older version of 7 or 8.1 if still there?Thank you,Sylvana...
  4. Update a dual boot Win-7 and 8.1, to Win-10 only.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update a dual boot Win-7 and 8.1, to Win-10 only.: I have a dual boot Window-7 and Windows-8.1. If I update to Windows-10, which older version will update to 10? Win-7, or Win-8.1, or both? After I do the update to 10, can I remove any remaining older version of 7 or 8.1 if still there?Thank you,Sylvana...
  5. Update a dual boot Win-7 and 8.1, to Win-10 only.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Repair Win 7 on Win 10/ Win 7 dual boot system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair Win 7 on Win 10/ Win 7 dual boot system: My RAM failed resulting in corruption of Win 7 installation. Now I cannot boot to Win 7 at all. I can create another partition to install Win 7, copy and create a new partition for the MBR now allocated 3.65GB to restore after reloading Win 7, or try something else. I'm not...
  7. Dual Boot Win 10 & 7

Dual Boot Win 10 & 7: I run Win 10 (1803) on my main PC I was also running Win 10 (1803) on a secondary PC. I had a 3rd PC running Win 7 (for certain older apps I need) The PC running 7 started to have major hardware problems, so I had to junk it, but kept the HDD with 7 and my programs. I...
  8. dual boot win 10/ win 7

dual boot win 10/ win 7: Hi, I have been tried to install win 7 64 bits on dual boot with win 10 64 bits already installed on my laptop but always failed. I've searched tutorials but didn't find complete ones .Most of the tutos are about installing win 10 over wind 7 on dual boot but not the...
  9. Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot

Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot: After reading many posts & reply's, I now think/understand that I cannot Dual Boot win 7 and win 10 using free Win 10, if I want to do that I must buy Win 10. Reason is the MS will not allow free Win 10 if I am still using Win 7. 1st I must update my win 7 with win 10...
  10. dual boot win 7 and win 10?

dual boot win 7 and win 10?: I currently have win10 on a partition. I have a second partition big enough for win7. Can I install win 7 on that partition. Will installing win7 result in a win7 style boot manager? If so, how to get the win 10 boot manager? One reason I want to do this, win7 has WMC...