Windows 10: Fast User Switching causes Win 10 Pro to do a "scheduled" shutdown

Discus and support Fast User Switching causes Win 10 Pro to do a "scheduled" shutdown in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; My home computer, I have been using for a few months now as the only user and admin. Just recently I decided to add my family as local users (no MS... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Echo Binary, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Fast User Switching causes Win 10 Pro to do a "scheduled" shutdown

My home computer, I have been using for a few months now as the only user and admin.

Just recently I decided to add my family as local users (no MS account) to the logins and enabled fast user switching.

To test this I tried logging into the account I set up for my wife and was immediately hit with a "scheduled" reboot notice that:

"This computer will shut down in 3 minutes."

What causes that, and how do I avoid this issue?

Additional HW info that _might_ be useful is I have an RGB setup using Corsair fans/AIO CPU cooler and iCue. Im not sure if this is related, but I do notice all the lights turn red or shut off when the PC is about to shut down.

:)

Echo Binary, Oct 31, 2018
  2. saidkhei Win User

Disable fast user switching.

saidkhei, Oct 31, 2018
  3. Disable fast user switching.

Hi,

You can try the following steps and check.

Fast User Switching is an easy way for another person to log on to the computer without logging you off or closing your programs and files. Follow the steps below to for Fast Switch User.

1. To begin, make sure that you have logged in as Administrator or have required administrative rights to change local group policies.

2. Press the Windows +R button.

3. Run dialog box will pop-up,type gpedit.msc..This will open Local Group Policy Editor.

4. Now, go to the following location and look for Local Computer Policy in the left pane.

5. Click on Local Computer Policy/Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Logon.

6. Just double-click Hide Entry Points for Fast User Switching to bring up a dialog box to change Fast User Switching policy setting.

7. At the top, there are Not Configured, Enabled and Disabled options available. Selecting each setting will let you read its affect in Help section. To disable
    Hide Entry Points for Fast User Switching, just select
    Dis
    abled from the list and click OK.

8. Once done, you will have to enforce the change made to Fast User Switching policy setting. To do so, close the Local Group Policy Editor and open the Run dialog box (Windows +R button). Enter the command “gpupdate
    /force
    “ and click OK. The policy will be updated and applied on all user accounts.

9. To re-enable Fast User Switching, just choose Not Configured in its policy setting dialog and apply the changes via
    gpupdate /force command.

I would also suggest you to stop and restart
    Fast User Switching Compatibility
    in services.

Hope this helps.

Please post back if you have any issues related to Windows and we will be glad to assist you further.

Karthik Vengaloor, Oct 31, 2018
  4. Fast User Switching causes Win 10 Pro to do a "scheduled" shutdown

Fast User Switching in Windows 10

Hi Vanessa,

I'm running Windows 10 Pro

I applied the first part of Method 2, but I still cannot switch users - I click on the Start button, Click on my User Name/Picture, the other accounts appear, but before I can click on them they disappear (same disappearance occurs using keyboard shortcuts)

I cannot implement your final suggestion in Method 2 as I cannot locate "Fast User Switching Compatibility". Where is this located please?

Regards

David

DavidA Norm, Oct 31, 2018
Thema:

Fast User Switching causes Win 10 Pro to do a "scheduled" shutdown

1. Fast User Switching causes Win 10 Pro to do a "scheduled" shutdown - Similar Threads - Fast User Switching

2. scheduled shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    scheduled shutdown: Hi,How can I make a scheduled shutdown on startup that terminates the task if the computer is used?- I have scheduled a startup on BIOS every day at 8.00.- I created a task in Task Scheduler to run shutdown.exe on startup if the computer is not used for 15 minutes works so...
  3. scheduled shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    scheduled shutdown: Hi,How can I make a scheduled shutdown on startup that terminates the task if the computer is used?- I have scheduled a startup on BIOS every day at 8.00.- I created a task in Task Scheduler to run shutdown.exe on startup if the computer is not used for 15 minutes works so...
  4. No Option to Switch Users - Windows 10 Pro - Post Update - Fast Switch Not Disabled

in Windows 10 Customization
    No Option to Switch Users - Windows 10 Pro - Post Update - Fast Switch Not Disabled: I recently upgraded a Window 7 Pro machine to Windows 10 Pro. I no longer have the option to switch users. This machine is on a domain. All other machines on the domain allow user switching. I've disabled the Hide Fast User switching using Local Group Policy Editor and...
  5. Fast User Switching disappeared

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Fast User Switching disappeared: I have two users on my Windows 10 Home I used to be able to switch users very quickly, by either using the start menu, control-alt-delete, or ALT-F4 because there would be a "Switch Users" selection that puts me back into the login screen. And in the login screen, the two...
  6. Fast Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast Shutdown: Ever since I updated my computers to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, my computers are not shutting down in fast shutdown mode. Can I turn the feature back on or is this a bug until Microsoft can update the OS with a fix? All of my computers have the UEFI BIOS. So,...
  7. Domain Joined Windows 10 - Fast User Switching

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Domain Joined Windows 10 - Fast User Switching: Hi I recently joined my HP Envy Recline 27 k210na which was upgraded to windows 10 to a Windows 2012 R2 Domain. But have an issue. Once I login with a user account, domain or non domain, I am unable to use the fast user switching. When choosing to switch account, I will...
  8. Win 10 reboots on shutdown with fast boot enabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 reboots on shutdown with fast boot enabled: when ever i power or go to hibernation mode my laptop freezes on a black screen for a couple of seconds and then reboots instead of powering off. Now i read something about this issue with Enduro laptops (Dual video cards) and im indeed a enduro laptop, But i can find the...
  9. Fast startup causes shutdown problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast startup causes shutdown problem: Turning off Fast startup under Choose what pushing power button solves a shudown problem. Besides cache, what is Windows anniversary sending to the disk before it actually SHUTSDOWN? 64976
  10. Enable or Disable Fast User Switching in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Fast User Switching in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Fast User Switching in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Fast User Switching in Windows 10 [img] Information If you have more than one user account on your PC, Fast User Switching is an easy way for you to switch between accounts or for...