Windows 10: Fast User Switching disappeared

Discus and support Fast User Switching disappeared in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have two users on my Windows 10 Home I used to be able to switch users very quickly, by either using the start menu, control-alt-delete, or ALT-F4... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by NYB72, Sep 14, 2018.

1. NYB72 Win User

Fast User Switching disappeared

I have two users on my Windows 10 Home

I used to be able to switch users very quickly, by either using the start menu, control-alt-delete, or ALT-F4 because there would be a "Switch Users" selection that puts me back into the login screen. And in the login screen, the two account icons would show up in the bottom left corner. I've used this feature nearly every day for the past year.

A day ago, this fast user switch feature has disappeared on me. The "Switch User" option no longer appears in any of the login screens. I can only switch users now by completely signing out of my current login, and then the two accounts would show up again on the login screen.

I've looked at past suggestions, like GPEDIT.msc which doesn't show up on my run command, updating, uninstalling updates, virus checking, checking for corruption, looking at regedit... nothing seems to bring this back.

This was an extremely useful workflow feature for me, can someone tell me how to bring this back?

[ Moved from: Windows 10 / Windows Hello, lock screen & sign-in ]

:)

NYB72, Sep 14, 2018
  2. saidkhei Win User

Disable fast user switching.

saidkhei, Sep 14, 2018
  3. Disable fast user switching.

Hi,

You can try the following steps and check.

Fast User Switching is an easy way for another person to log on to the computer without logging you off or closing your programs and files. Follow the steps below to for Fast Switch User.

1. To begin, make sure that you have logged in as Administrator or have required administrative rights to change local group policies.

2. Press the Windows +R button.

3. Run dialog box will pop-up,type gpedit.msc..This will open Local Group Policy Editor.

4. Now, go to the following location and look for Local Computer Policy in the left pane.

5. Click on Local Computer Policy/Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Logon.

6. Just double-click Hide Entry Points for Fast User Switching to bring up a dialog box to change Fast User Switching policy setting.

7. At the top, there are Not Configured, Enabled and Disabled options available. Selecting each setting will let you read its affect in Help section. To disable
    Hide Entry Points for Fast User Switching, just select
    Dis
    abled from the list and click OK.

8. Once done, you will have to enforce the change made to Fast User Switching policy setting. To do so, close the Local Group Policy Editor and open the Run dialog box (Windows +R button). Enter the command “gpupdate
    /force
    “ and click OK. The policy will be updated and applied on all user accounts.

9. To re-enable Fast User Switching, just choose Not Configured in its policy setting dialog and apply the changes via
    gpupdate /force command.

I would also suggest you to stop and restart
    Fast User Switching Compatibility
    in services.

Hope this helps.

Please post back if you have any issues related to Windows and we will be glad to assist you further.

Karthik Vengaloor, Sep 14, 2018
  4. Fast User Switching disappeared

Fast User Switching in Windows 10

Hi Vanessa,

I'm running Windows 10 Pro

I applied the first part of Method 2, but I still cannot switch users - I click on the Start button, Click on my User Name/Picture, the other accounts appear, but before I can click on them they disappear (same disappearance occurs using keyboard shortcuts)

I cannot implement your final suggestion in Method 2 as I cannot locate "Fast User Switching Compatibility". Where is this located please?

Regards

David

DavidA Norm, Sep 14, 2018
Thema:

Fast User Switching disappeared

1. Fast User Switching disappeared - Similar Threads - Fast User Switching

2. hide Fast user switching in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hide Fast user switching in Windows 11: How do you hide Fast user switching in Windows 11I have done the GPEdit and Regedit methods to enable hide Fast user switching and restarted but the option to switch is still thereAlways worked with GPEdit on Windows 10...
  3. hide Fast user switching in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hide Fast user switching in Windows 11: How do you hide Fast user switching in Windows 11I have done the GPEdit and Regedit methods to enable hide Fast user switching and restarted but the option to switch is still thereAlways worked with GPEdit on Windows 10...
  4. "Switch user" option disappeared

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Switch user" option disappeared: Dear Microsoft, since the last windows update, it is difficult to switch user on the PC. The only person that can log in, is the one, that has been signed in last - even after restarting the PC. So even though my girlfried used the PC last and shut it off, i won´t be able to...
  5. Fast User Switching doesn't work on some machines

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Fast User Switching doesn't work on some machines: Hello, I have as strange one here with Fast User Switching FUS- so ideas are very welcome: I have a number of domain joined PCs all running up to date Win 10 Pro some of them simply don't have Switch User option on the Lock Screen they have Switch User option in Start...
  6. Fast user switching entry missing on Start menu only.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Fast user switching entry missing on Start menu only.: I have an issue where the Fast User Switching function is missing from the Start Menu only. I can Fast user switch from the Ctrl-L lock screen and the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen. I have researched this extensively on this and other forums, but haven't found this exact symptoms. I...
  7. How to enable or disable Fast User Switching in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Fast User Switching in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Slow computers are such productivity killers. And if you are someone who needs to switch user accounts on your computer multiple times a day, it might get irritating. This is so because both the accounts have some programs or applications [...] This post How to...
  8. Fast user switching signs me out

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Fast user switching signs me out: I have 3 local user accounts. When I try to switch between them, my apps are closed and I get signed out. I've tried the 6 different methods in this tutorial The Switch User option does not appear in the option list in response to Ctrl+Alt+Del. It does appear in the list...
  9. Domain Joined Windows 10 - Fast User Switching

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Domain Joined Windows 10 - Fast User Switching: Hi I recently joined my HP Envy Recline 27 k210na which was upgraded to windows 10 to a Windows 2012 R2 Domain. But have an issue. Once I login with a user account, domain or non domain, I am unable to use the fast user switching. When choosing to switch account, I will...
  10. Enable or Disable Fast User Switching in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Fast User Switching in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Fast User Switching in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Fast User Switching in Windows 10 [img] Information If you have more than one user account on your PC, Fast User Switching is an easy way for you to switch between accounts or for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fast user switching disappeared